Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was finking about graphics cards in bed last night...

Options
  • 16-11-2009 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

What does everyone fink?

The 58xx series has gone up in price due to NVidia not having any answer for the mo, IMO it's a bit of a gamble buying a 58xx now. If Nvidia come out with some cards which beats the 58xx series on performance then ATI will prob drop the prices to lower than they ever were to put pressure on NVidia, we know they can.

If they Nvidia still can't bring out a card to better them, then ATI will prob let the price go up and up until the demand subsides(that's economics). I think Nvidia have had so much time now to get their act together they're bound to have come up with something. Although the signs are not good, looking at the date being put back so many times, certainly gets me suspicious that they are struggling.

So put the bets on the table guys! What's gonna happen?

So what's gonna happen in the New year? 19 votes

Nvidia will crash & burn leaving the 58xx series to be as expensive as it likes
    0%
    Nvidia have had so much time they've gotta come up with something
    31%
    uberpixieKomplett-Tech: RyanRoyalMarineAntilmimmfnDublin_Gunner 6 votes
    Nvidia wil have great cards, but overpriced + ATI becomes a more budget option again
    10%
    game4it70Vergast 2 votes
    There will be so beating the 5970
    57%
    VenomSpearseraphimvcSolitaireleninbenjaminindoughKirbyEffluoTiGeR KiNgSyomamasflavourswirlser 11 votes
    Get a life, you're not even gonna get one anyway! lol
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ATI is the budget option?

Last I checked their cards were fast AND affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'm talking about in the future, when the new Nvidia cards come out

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

Effluo wrote: »
    I'm talking about in the future, when the new Nvidia cards come out

you can be guranteed that when nvidia bring out their new card to compete with ati that the head guys at ati are going to release a new card straight away which will send the nvidia guys home crying to mommy.:P

up untill the 4870 series i was never a fan of ati but to be honest they are the market leaders at the mo in preformance and price. i personally have a gtx 260 but the only reason i have it is to use it with my 5870(when it gets here) for physx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

noodletop wrote: »
    i personally have a gtx 260 but the only reason i have it is to use it with my 5870(when it gets here) for physx.

Ouch pretty sure that doesn't work anymore, like Nvidia made it so their gpu's will not work when an ATI card is also present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Effluo wrote: »
    Ouch pretty sure that doesn't work anymore, like Nvidia made it so their gpu's will not work when an ATI card is also present

Not officially, its been hacked though

Nvidia will be back into the race shortly, they're never out of it for too long.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not officially, its been hacked though:D:D

Nvidia will be back into the race shortly, they're never out of it for too long.

its so unofficial i will not recommend anyone try it:rolleyes:
    according to benchmark figures it gives a huge diff in fps in game

Batman Arkham Asylum built-in benchmark (1280×1024, PhysX High)

Min fps Avg fps Max fps
    Single GT 220 12 23 42
    Single HD 5870 13 21 57
    HD 5870 + GT 220 41 88 132

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Nvidia are currently working on Fermi, the one fits all chip that will be at the centre of their next Geforce, Quadro and Tesla iterations. It's not a GPU, it's a super computing monster, capable of executing even native C++ according to Nvidia. It has 512 cores.

Unfortunately it seems they've bit off a bit more than they could chew. As we all know, initial yields were terrible, and has delayed Nvidia by at least 6 months. Their CEO says Q1, although I've seen June mentioned in a few places as being more likely. If it goes past Q2 then ATI will have had an entire generation to themselves which will make it very very hard for Nvidia to come back from.

People are forgetting about Larrabee though, which is scheduled for release around the same time. Q1 2010 was what Intel have said, but even a Q2 launch could see it trump ATI and Nvidia. It'll be an interesting contender, it's theoretical performance tops the current ATI cards by a significant margin and possibly even Fermi (edit: it actually has the potential to knock both stone dead). And seeing as it's based entirely on old Pentium architecture it should be cheaper to produce. But then so little is known it's very hard to be confident about it (edit: late 2011 early 2012 seem equally possible release dates).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Unfortunately it seems they've bit off a bit more than they could chew. As we all know, initial yields were terrible, and has delayed Nvidia by at least 6 months. Their CEO says Q1, although I've seen June mentioned in a few places as being more likely. If it goes past Q2 then ATI will have had an entire generation to themselves which will make it very very hard for Nvidia to come back from.

This looks like it could be ATI's 8 series. A whole generation to themselves. As much as I like ATI cards right now, I really hope this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

If your waiting for nvidia cards u might be waiting a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I'd be surprised if Nvidia don't start laying off people soon to be honest. Still terrible results from the fermi core dies. And Nvidia as involved in 2 huge class action law suits too. They also screwed themselves over with motherboards too. Ati are untouchable at the moment, and will be for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

get a life! thinking about graphics cards in bed?! wth. i thought i was bad, but graphics cards is the last thing i'd be thinking about in bed :/

back on topic.... nvidia have to pull a huge one out of the bag to shut up the doubters. its gonna be hard done. their fermi dies are failing in lab enviorments, so... god help them.

how about this setup:)

http://www.evga.com/articles/00501/

and at 1600 dollars its cheap:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if Furmi was any good Nvidia would be boasting about it so they dont lose potential Nvidia fanboys moving to ATI. Also its been rumured that their yields are really low and that theyre underclocking the cards to increase yields, again its just rumour but they've said nothing, have been showing off fake cards and showed 1 pic on facebook of the new Furmi card running Uniengine but the FPS was deliberately excluded from the pic.

Im sure they'll have something equal to a 5870 but i doubt it will be much faster and probably more likely it will be slower, we'll know in 5-6 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have the feeling the nvidia are hacking a compute part through drivers for GFX, rather than developing a GFX apart and utilising it for compute.

They've taken their eye off the ball, and unless the Fermi parts perform really well, it will be the next generation before they get back in the game.

I do also think that Fermi looks like its going to be a power & heat MONSTER, similar to when they initially launched the G80 - powerful card, but a power plant needed to make it work (in contemporary terms).

ATI have done really well with the HD4xxx and now the HD5xxx series, they've kept performance high, with power consumption and heat relatively low for parts that are so powerful.

I'm also thinking because of the complexity of the new Fermi part, and the disastrous yields, that the general gamer type consumer is going to end up subsuming the cost of developing a part that really should be intended for high end modelling.

Maybe, I'm wrong (and I hope so, for competitions sake), but when / if we see the new GTX380 released, with a price tag of €600 and 250W power consumption, we'll be all gaming on HD6xxx series cards...

Advertisement