Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find HDMI output on my Sony Bravia

Options
  • 16-11-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I’ve my Sony KDL 32v200 Bravia LCD TV for 3 years but up until recently I’ve never used the HDMI port. After buying my new laptop I thought it would be a good idea to connect the 2 via the HDMI port seeing as my laptop has both a blu-ray drive and a HDMI port but try as I may I can’t seem to get it to work. There’s no problem connecting my laptop to the TV via the VGA port but I just can’t seem to the HDMI to work.

I know on the newer Bravias the HDMI ports are listed but on my one there are just the 5 AV/external connections (this model only has the one HDMI port). When the two are connected via the HDMI the laptop picks up the TV (it allows me to adjust the laptop display) but I can’t find the image/sound on any of the channels. My question is what is the default channel/location for HDMI connected devices on the 32v200?

I’m guessing this is the same for any HDMI connection just don’t know where to find it. Starting to annoy me now I’m usually good a these things :confused:. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If I've got the correct model (KDL 32v2000 ?), the manual ( page 35 ) says

"Note: The HDMI socket only supports the following video inputs: 480i, 480p,576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i. To connect a PC please use the PC input socket."

You might be able to get the tv to display a signal from the HDMI socket if the graphics in the laptop will allow you to set 1280x720 as the resolution, other wise you might have to use a program called Powerstrip to force the graphics card to do a custom resolution. If you're not familiar with Powerstrip, some Googling and learning is in order. You might also useful browse on http://www.avsforum.com , look in the TVs section, there's usually some good info about forcing custom resolutions there from our American cousins.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Thanks Ritz for getting back to me and yes you got the right model (was being economical with the zeros!!). I had already set the laptop resolution to 1280x720 but no joy I'm afraid - seems my sony laptop doesn't like talking to my sony tv :(. I'll have look through avforum and see what I find. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hi Q&A,

Not sure about the Sony laptops, but many machines have a setting in the BIOS which explicitly states how video should be outputted (either DVI, VGA or HDMI). They can also state a combination of the above.

So have a look if you're BIOS has a "Default Video Output" setting. If this is your problem, then it'll be set to "VGA Only" or something similar. Either set it to "HDMI" or "VGA + HDMI", save, reboot and see if that helps.

Also, on most laptops there's a toggle key (or combination of keys) that allow you to choose what display is to be used, i.e. just laptop's screen, just external monitor (be it VGA port or HDMI port) or both laptop and external monitor simultaneously. This toggle key will be something like "Function + F7" or similar, you could probably figure it out from looking carefully at the keys. This should work while in Windows, so you can try it out.

Keep in mind, btw, that you can ALSO output audio over HDMI. Again, as with the BIOS dealy above, some machines need you to go in and set the "Default Audio Output" to HDMI as well.

Hope some of those ideas help. You might need a bit of Google searching to find out the specifics of your laptop.

Cheers,
    Seán

Advertisement