Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound for 360

• 16-11-2009 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey, looking to set up surround sound for my xbox, its 60gb with a HDMI port. The surround sound system im using has AUX in ports (one red, one white) but when i use the cables supplied with the xbox I can only get 2.1 sound not 5.1. The connection which goes into the xbox that has all the cables running from it also has a small port with a flap in front of it.
    Could someone suggest a simpleish way of setting up surround sound so its 5.1 not 2.1. The 5.1 works on the pc fine. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

need optical cable iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Unfortunately the red & white is literally left and right. Most of the DVD home entertainment systems only give 5.1 for the DVD it palys in them. The AUX port is pretty useless for anything more than a TV.

A AV reciever and speakers can be quite expensive, but I found a very basic cheap one in Argos for €150. It has 1 opitcal port and some red & white inputs too. Not gonna be as good as a proper set up but gives you good 5.1 for games and Bluray HD DVD's, or anything on the optical cable.

I can't find it on the website now, but it's made by Acoustic Solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

You can get some nice Logitech systems for cheaper than that.

Have a look here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

deadl0ck wrote: »
    You can get some nice Logitech systems for cheaper than that.

Have a look here

Doesn't look like there is any optical input on that speaker set so you won't get surround sound with the 360.

OP you need a surround sound system with an optical in port. Then connect the surround sound system to the xbox (small port with a flap in front of it) via an optical cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

As already stated you will need an optical out to get surround sound from the XBox. You should be able to pick up a cheap enough system in Argos.

However, the optical out connection for the 360 is generally on the component/ vga cable connection. If you want to continue using HDMI you'll need to get an adaptor to accomodate this. Otherwise revert to component (which is just as good as HDMI as far as I'm concerned).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Whoops - my mistake. I was going on the Pixmania blurb:
    Plug the Logitech X-530 into your PC, music player, DVD player, or even your PlayStation or Xbox game console and immerse yourself in clean, crisp, consistent surround sound from your games, movies, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Cheers for all the replies. Will the optical cable work correctly along side the component cable for the xbox, as i do not use the HDMI port. Also, was talking to someone earlier who said they use their DVD players surround sound setup to get surround sound for the xbox through scart. Anyone have any experience with this or how it could be done?

I use component cable to the TV and an optical cable to the surround sound. The optical port for the XBox is attached to the component cable anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hopefully this is some use to you :

I have my 360 plugged into my TV via HDMI.
    My surround-sound system is quite old (2002 I think) but I have that plugged into my TV via scart (EXT 2). It's from Sony, it cost about 225 euros.
    I set the speaker system to "TV", and it picks up everything that's on the TV through all the speakers.
    If it's set to "Rock" it only does 2.1, and when I set it to "PLN Music" or ""PLN Music" it does all the 5.1 speakers. When I watch DVDs through the Xbox it's definitely 5.1.
    I'm pretty confident that games are going thru 5.1 because some of the voices only come from a particular speaker.

I'm sure it's not HD audio or whatever but it's 5.1 and it's more than adequate for me. It's the picture I care about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

franman wrote: »
    Doesn't look like there is any optical input on that speaker set so you won't get surround sound with the 360.

OP you need a surround sound system with an optical in port. Then connect the surround sound system to the xbox (small port with a flap in front of it) via an optical cable.

I have a similar system to the Logitech on suggested, you don't get 5.1 straight out the xbox, it takes a 2 channel signal and uses matrix* mode to give you 5.1 sound.

*Matrix mode splits the sound and sends it to various speakers depending on the frequency and sound levels, its to full 5.1 but its not far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

All you're doing there though is using your system as a 6 speaker stereo system. The sound isn't going to come out of different speakers for the surround sound effect you're just getting stereo that way.

To get Dolby Digital 5.1 you really need optical straight from the Xbox if it's component and the red and white sound. Or if you're using a HDMI cable the optical can go from the TV to the surround sound.

You can get ways of making sound come out of the 5 speakers but you will relly notice the difference when it's the real deal. Gun fire from behind acyually comes from behind and as you turn it turns in a realistic way with you. After having it I don't think I could ever go back. Was great for assassins creed to know where the archers on the roof where.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

I personally have a Logitech Z-5000 system , which are expensive but really worth it , Its the most powerful you can get. a 1000 Watts at full peak power!
    The sub woofer can vibrate the house! trust me , look at it on you tube !

I connect the Optical cable to the Control pod and then connect the other end of the optical cable to my tv's optical input. Therefore i get 5.1 surround sound from my tv's channels, My xbox 360, PS3, and dvd player.

I think this is the best way to have it.!

I personally have a Logitech Z-5000 system , which are expensive but really worth it , Its the most powerful you can get. a 1000 Watts at full peak power!
    The sub woofer can vibrate the house! trust me , look at it on you tube !

I connect the Optical cable to the Control pod and then connect the other end of the optical cable to my tv's optical input. Therefore i get 5.1 surround sound from my tv's channels, My xbox 360, PS3, and dvd player.

I think this is the best way to have it.!

That's why I gotta get a TV with 3 HDMI ports, have my XBox on component and Digibox and PC on HDMI, so to get 5.1 from the XBox I have to move the cable every time. Pain in the ahole.

NothingMan wrote: »
    That's why I gotta get a TV with 3 HDMI ports, have my XBox on component and Digibox and PC on HDMI, so to get 5.1 from the XBox I have to move the cable every time. Pain in the ahole.

What cable do you have to move every time? The optical???

So either way ill need a new surround sound system with an optical input to get the surround sound on the xbox? Anyone know of any cheapish ones that have the optical input?

What cable do you have to move every time? The optical???
    yeah. In the tv for tv and laptop sound. And in the xbox for surround sound.
    So either way ill need a new surround sound system with an optical input to get the surround sound on the xbox? Anyone know of any cheapish ones that have the optical input?
    I put a post a while back refering to a cheap Argos one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I use component cable to the TV and an optical cable to the surround sound. The optical port for the XBox is attached to the component cable anyway.

Which cable is this?

I've got the original component cable than came with my Premium 360 (non-HDMI) so I can't get 5.1 at the moment

edit: found it actually!

yeah. In the tv for tv and laptop sound. And in the xbox for surround sound.

I put a post a while back refering to a cheap Argos one.

Why dont you just leave your optical cable plugged from your receiver to your tv that way all your devices have surround sound!

Why dont you just leave your optical cable plugged from your receiver to your tv that way all your devices have surround sound!

Cos the XBox isn't on HDMI it's on component with L & R audio channels so only 2.1 played through 5 speakers. Only 2 HDMI ports on the TV so can't have everything on HDMI.

• Advertisement

Cos the XBox isn't on HDMI it's on component with L & R audio channels so only 2.1 played through 5 speakers. Only 2 HDMI ports on the TV so can't have everything on HDMI.

Well what i would do is get a hdmi for your 360 , what else is plugged into your tv via hdmi?

You should get a switcher hdmi box if you want , you can find them in various shops , there was a cheap one in aldi a while ago...

Or if you want to keep the component cable plugged into your xbox , get an optical switcher off amazon, and more optical cables. saves you from plugging the optical cable in and out all the time ( damaging the laser) . Heres a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Optical-link-Switcher/dp/B001DN21DW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258417702&sr=8-3

Well what i would do is get a hdmi for your 360 , what else is plugged into your tv via hdmi?

You should get a switcher hdmi box if you want , you can find them in various shops , there was a cheap one in aldi a while ago...

Or if you want to keep the component cable plugged into your xbox , get an optical switcher off amazon, and more optical cables. saves you from plugging the optical cable in and out all the time ( damaging the laser) . Heres a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Optical-link-Switcher/dp/B001DN21DW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258417702&sr=8-3

I didn't want a HDMI switch cos I have enough controls already, but I never thought of a hub for the optical cable. I assume this could work automatically so may well be an option.

Thanks.

Im looking for something simular to this: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/168268/...cable-3-5.html
    I need a Male - Female 3.5 jack with volume control, been looking around but there does not seem to be a whole lot out there. The one in the link comes to €11 inc shipping. Anyone know of a cheaper one either on the internet or in any shops?

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Im looking for something simular to this: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/168268/...cable-3-5.html
    I need a Male - Female 3.5 jack with volume control, been looking around but there does not seem to be a whole lot out there. The one in the link comes to €11 inc shipping. Anyone know of a cheaper one either on the internet or in any shops?

What do you need that thing for Hurley a pair of headphones??? i would check maplin, and peats in town first. Haven't seen anything like that for sale in shops.

And what that site pixmania haven't seen it before , are they good for bargains? are they Irish?

Advertisement