Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protrait Assignment Advice - Shooting at Night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thats a gorgeous picture, have you any/many flashes? This could be done easy enough using flashes and triggers, I am intending on doing one myself soon, you could go outoor and get something nice and spooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Afraid not, the only flash I have is the one the comes with the camera!

I'm thinking of messing around with lamps, torches and sparklers?

I'm in Lucan, are you close by? I wouldnt mind lending some to you if you promise to take good care, I only have the triggers a couple of weeks now, maybe even tag along and show you how they work.

Not really, I'm in Swords! That's very kind of you but I've left it too late, my assignment is due in on Thurs so I'm going to be shooting tomorrow!

Thanks so much though, If only I'd posted this last week!

Ah well, ok so youtube it, home lighting kits etc and you should get loads of tutorials, halogen lamps are nice and bright. I took shots recently for musicians and I actually used the changing room and lavatory of a local gaa club and the pictures worked brilliantly, the lads went into the room and the head honcho said to me 'Rachel I can't envision what you are seeing here but I know you can so we'll go with it' and it was worth it, came out with great edgy shots, some facilities have really bright lights too if you go for that direction.

I also love very soft portraits looking out windows, I wonder will you be able to get some daylight shots? A nice image of a girl looking out the window pulling back a net curtain could work. Or if you go outdoors you may be able to work with the pop up flash, in a nice setting. You can cover with masking tape or tissue paper to soften the light.

I feel bad I didnt offer equipment sooner, if you change your mind let me know. I'll be south city tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Use a tripod/wall/something solid, RAW if possible, tell your friend to STAY STILL, try different exposures, use available light, tungsten setting if available for jpeg if thats all you can shoot with your camera.
    Find your starting exposure and bracket up and down a few shots, some with flash some without, EXPERIMENT !, and take as many pics as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An idea I've been tempted to try but haven't gotten around to yet:

Pose your model extremely still in a dark room and light paint her with a torch.

Thanks a mil for all the advice and what do you mean by light paint?

A long exposure and no other source of light but the torch, write something on her, light parts of her but not others etc.

The use of light drawing with long exposures is being done to death in commercial advertising photography and I think this could be an interesting twist on it...

Hmm I'll def look into that.

Lol now I'm trying to think what I could write on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

http://pix.ie/darreng/1145972/in/album/350527

Best example of light painting I've seen in ages :) Might be difficult to get with just one person painting, but you could do something like this:
    http://pix.ie/darreng/1145969/in/album/350527 pretty easily, and it looks good. That's what I'd be going for, given your time frame/equipment. You'll need a tripod though, or at least put the camera on a wall or something and use the timer so you don't move the camera when you depress the shutter.

Good luck! And post up what you get. What college are you in?

Maybe I was using the wrong term... I'm more thinking of setting the camera on a tripod and using a narrow beam torch to paint light onto the model from an off camera position i.e. the camera recording the parts of the subject that the beam is pointed at rather than the torch light itself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It can mean both :)

Thanks all gonna try everything later today. Was messing around practicing last night with a torch but I think it was too powerful as it just kind of blurrly lit up the room instead of beam. Will post the results of tonight later!

Oh and I got my new tripod which I'm very happy about :)

I know it's been ages since I did this but I promised to upload my results so here's the two images I ended up using.
    I have condensed them alot to make the upload smaller, so the quality is poorer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

^ loving the 1st one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The second one is lacking something personal to her to call it a portrait. The first one is much much better. At least for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The first one is good but the second one is just not right. The wall does nothing for the shot. My 2c worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

LOVE the first one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yeah that first example...just lit with the light, no need for flash. wouldnt be hard to do

• Advertisement

Thanks all

Advertisement