Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to switch hard drive between Modded & Unmodded Xbox 360?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have a question concerning the 360 bans. If i were to switch the hard drive between a modded Xbox 360(which hasn't been banned as its been kept offline) and then use it on an un-modded 360 to use on Xbox LIVE on a regular basis, would there be any issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I have basically the same question but slightly different in playing games on a BANNED console and switching to a brand new console,

Hope Im not hijacking the OP thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tested this over the weekend, didn't play any games though but it worked fine in terms of syncing the profile to live. This is not to say there is no risk or consequences further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The xbox that you're keeping offline, is it queued for a banning? Like has it ever connected to Live in recent weeks and you're just keeping it offline to prevent the inevitable?

Because if it is, what could happen is down the line Microsoft will release an update for NXE with a list of console ID's that are revoked which would include your one. Even though you have not connected to Live to officially receive your ban, your console is banned. You continue swapping hard drives, gaining achievements on this console that is "due to be banned". Then Microsoft verify the console ID's involved in getting your acheivements and see that for the last two months you're getting acheivements with a console whose ID is officially banned for the last 3 months and could ban your gamertag.

The whole point of the hard drive trouble is to prevent people using modded consoles to get acheivements on games. So if you're caught doing this down the line I reckon your punishment would be worse than those folks who are just getting their consoles banned.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I knew the xbox that's modded has not ever been on xbox live and thus MS do not know about it and have certainly not put it on the to-ban list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

It has been online recently, but once the banning started i took it offline. I did follow this guide and try this test once:

"1.Unplug hard drive and/or memory unit
    2.Turn on 360 with ethernet cable/wireless plugged in
    3.Go to "system settings" in the dashboard, * Click on "Network", * Click on "Test Xbox Live Connection" * Wait for the results, if it asks you to update click CANCEL. * Click on "Y (Yellow)" to get the status report up on screen:

If the status reports the following you ARE banned:
    W: 0000-0008
    X: 0000-F001
    Y: 00A8-6820
    Z: 8015-190D (see this = banned) If your Z: is different you are NOT banned.
    ID: 0008-0000
    Any other code in the Z: line such as "Z: 8015 - 1002" means you are NOT banned, the only code that means you are banned is "Z: 8015-190D", that is the banned code."

And everything was ok. But this has stopped working for people now as I've heard that when they try the test Xbox LIVE connection option, you can still get banned doing it if you're console is modded, so this is NOT safe anymore...But i have to assume that since mine was ok, that it is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

qbhod wrote: »
    It has been online recently, but once the banning started i took it offline. I did follow this guide and try this test once:

"1.Unplug hard drive and/or memory unit
    2.Turn on 360 with ethernet cable/wireless plugged in
    3.Go to "system settings" in the dashboard, * Click on "Network", * Click on "Test Xbox Live Connection" * Wait for the results, if it asks you to update click CANCEL. * Click on "Y (Yellow)" to get the status report up on screen:

If the status reports the following you ARE banned:
    W: 0000-0008
    X: 0000-F001
    Y: 00A8-6820
    Z: 8015-190D (see this = banned) If your Z: is different you are NOT banned.
    ID: 0008-0000
    Any other code in the Z: line such as "Z: 8015 - 1002" means you are NOT banned, the only code that means you are banned is "Z: 8015-190D", that is the banned code."

And everything was ok. But this has stopped working for people now as I've heard that when they try the test Xbox LIVE connection option, you can still get banned doing it if you're console is modded, so this is NOT safe anymore...But i have to assume that since mine was ok, that it is safe.

That "test" is not safe to perform. If your console is banned and you test xbox Live connection like that you will be banned if you are due to be banned.

I was on xbox live 3 days before I got banned and everything worked perfectly. Just beause you were online recently and did not get banned does not mean that you won't get banned.

Currently you are safe to swap hard drives, but I wouldn't do it myself because nobody saw the savegame/profile corruption coming so Microsoft could easily implement what I talked about and catch a load of people off guard including you.

Just take it that using a modded xbox360 to get achievements is not a smart idea and you'll be fine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah I've used that test and "passed" for what it's worth. But it has been off line since i tested it this time last week, and it's staying that way.

I hear what you are saying re: swapping the drives, doubt that's safe either so won't be doing that again either.

Advertisement