Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

city furniture as a gravestones

• 16-11-2009 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am doing a photography project in Dublin on how the City structures (city furniture) are used as 'a gravestones'... I'll explain what I mean. I am sure you have noticed that there is a common practice to write tributes on fences & lamp posts, put the flowers up where an accident or murder has happened.

I am currently building up a list where those places are. However, it is not so easy as I cannot possibly examine every road, corner or fence.

So far I have noticed places lake fence by the Garden of Rememberance on Parnell Sq N, Suir Road LUAS stop, first Ongar roundabout and single 'rose cross' tied by the lamp post in Blanch...

Any help towards more place like these will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

There's one along the Grand Canal between Grand Canal St and Mount St. Can't remember precise location but it appears to be well maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

The canal at suir bridge - young lad threw himself into the locks there a few weeks ago. There was loads of stuff there last time I was down, and a lot of writing on the bridge and the traffic signal box. Very sad...

And I think there are a few - at least one anyway - down the dry canal a bit further. Homeless lads.

Edit - i see you got the suir road one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

There is a cross along the dual carriageway either from blanch roundabout to the shopping centres second slip road or in the other direction, cant remember exactly which one, a young lad was killed crossig the road a few years back. Also the pedestrain traffic lights at the shopping centre was the location of a kid being knocked down a few years back too and every year you will see loads of flowers placed there, not sure the exact date but I'm sure its winter. Also Traffic lights just down from the Clonsilla Inn a young girl was knocked over there about 2 years ago, roughly this time of year also, since you mentioned the area already I thought you might be close so there are a fair few around there that pop up every once in a while.

I'll keep any eye out and if I see any anywhere I will update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Shangannagh Road in Ballybrack on the right hand side heading for Shankill about 300 meters from traffic lights, young lad in a car went through a wall about 2 years ago. Also a memorial on a wall between Shankill and Bray near Barbeque center, a lad on a motorbike killed there.

I seem to remember one at the junction of Cabra Road / Rathoath Road when I was a kid, might not be there still.

Also regular flowers at the Merrion gates level crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

There is a 'ghost bike' on the harolds cross bridge for a poor lad who got crushed by a cement truck :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bertiesrasher

There's the memorial for all those that died during the famine opposite bus aras, the constant burning chains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

You might be interested in looking at the work of Ian Mitton. He is a photogrpahy tutor in IADT. He has an ongoing project, photographing the view from memorial benches. Every time he comes across such a bench he makes a note of it and comes back to photograph the view.

Here is the project I'm talking about.

http://ianmitton.com/restawhiletext.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

One on Coultry Gardens just facing Coultry road.
    I don't know the story behind it though.

678C7496F16E42D195F4FBD46CBF4BE3-800.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the n11 opposite colaiste eoi theres one where two garda were killed in a chase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

bedlam wrote: »
    Assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, a decorated tree, it's on Wilton Terrace close to the lock opposite The Mespil Hotel.

Yeah thats the one, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I'm not sure if you want this or not but there is an imprint of a the side of a car on the Ballyboggan Road in Finglas, the driver died. There are no flowers or signs though.

Not far from there on the Finglas Road (opposite Old Finglas Road) are flowers left to mark the spot someone else died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's often one on the Clontarf Road somewhere opposite Dollymount Park.

Also along the railings of Fairview Park towards the town end.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There's the memorial for all those that died during the famine opposite bus aras, the constant burning chains

The candle in the ball of chains is for amnesty international.

There are still fresh flowers being laid regularly at Fairview Park (nearish the Malahide Rd. junction for the young chap that was beaten to death a couple of weeks back. If you stay on that road and head out towards Dollymount there are two other regularly re-flowered memorials. One is at the Yacht pub (for the gangster chap that was shot a few years back and another for...eh...someone or other.

(But the ball of chains with the candle is for Amnesty).

Ooops just saw TrickyD's....what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

humberklog wrote: »
    The candle in the ball of chains is for amnesty international.

There are still fresh flowers being laid regularly at Fairview Park (nearish the Malahide Rd. junction for the young chap that was beaten to death a couple of weeks back. If you stay on that road and head out towards Dollymount there are two other regularly re-flowered memorials. One is at the Yacht pub (for the gangster chap that was shot a few years back and another for...eh...someone or other.

(But the ball of chains with the candle is for Amnesty).

Ooops just saw TrickyD's....what he says.

Nope, your's is the other end of the Strand - wasn't sure about that one. The one I refer to is just beside the Tolka just north of Annesley Bridge for a car accident, I think.

Seems as if there's two, which, sad to say, isn't a surprise.

Advertisement