Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City furniture used as gravestones

Options
  • 16-11-2009 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am doing a photography project in Dublin on how the City structures (city furniture) are used as 'a gravestones'... I'll explain what I mean. I am sure you have noticed that there is a common practice to write tributes on fences & lamp posts, put the flowers up where an accident or murder has happened.

I am currently building up a list where those places are. However, it is not so easy as I cannot possibly examine every road, corner or fence.

So far I have noticed places like the fence by the Garden of Remembrance on Parnell Sq N, Suir Road LUAS stop, first Ongar roundabout and a single 'rose cross' tied by the lamp post in Blanch...

Any help towards more places/tributes like these will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

There's one on the N11 flyover outside UCD. I'll check the exact wording of it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

Sulmac wrote: »
    There's one on the N11 flyover outside UCD. I'll check the exact wording of it later.

I believe it's the student's name and "Blithe Spirit." That tragic accident was quite some time ago. Round about 1990 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

There's one on the Merrion Road, on the wall as you're heading into town, just at the turn off to cross the Merrion Gates to a Jonathon Chester - he was killed at that spot by a car. It happened a long time ago, but there are very often fresh flowers tied to the traffic light post.

Also if you cross the merrion gates and go onto the sand by foot, there is a house there, with a plaque in the wall which divides the garden from the sea - dedicated to a person who used to live in the house and who's ashes are scattered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

There's one beside Cheeverstown in Templeogue, always maintained. Don't know who it's for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Enbee wrote: »
    I believe it's the student's name and "Blithe Spirit." That tragic accident was quite some time ago. Round about 1990 I think.

Yep, it reads:
    JULIE
    BLITHE SPIRIT
    28.12.71 - 12.10.90

Hope it helps, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved from Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

There's a 'ghost bike' on the Harold's Cross bridge

(http://www.ghostbikes.org/)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is one the bridge at the royal canal, on dorset street.

there is on an island on the N2, just past glasnevin cemetary

there is one on the M50 just before the Leopardstown exit (i think)

there is one on the Ratoath Road, on a railing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Very interesting topic.

Not exactly in the city but in Stillorgan village near the taxi rank for the shopping centre there is a memorial to a 16 year old girl that was run over by a drink driver while crossing the road. It happened in 1992 i think. Quite a sad story as to how I first came to attention of it, I was in the car park this summer and noticed a man and woman placing flowers around a tree. When they left I noticed the plaque. Most likely the girls parents continue to visit the site which is quite poignant, usually any time i pass by I notice there is usually flowers there. I was young at the time i occured but i believe it received a fair bit of media coverage due to the sentence served to the driver
    http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0429/D.0429.199304290075.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

elian wrote: »
    Suir Road LUAS stop,

You don't have anymore info on this? Pass it twice a day going to and from college on the Luas and since it appeared there about a month and a half ago I've been wondering what's the background, murder or accident, etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

There's one on the Naas rd,just at the turn off for Killeen rd. another on the Belgard rd just before the pub,that one is a full size cross.Lordy I've seen hundreds about the place but can't remember any more. I suppose a look up of accident black spots around the city would be a good starting point.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.irishroadside.com/

check out this website

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Theres a cross on the bridge at the top of dorset street. A headstone beside silloge road in ballymun, odd one that it's still covered in tons of soft toys years later.

Theres graffiti painted on the walls of dorset street flats along the lines of "RIP MARY" "RIP DECO"... looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

there MIGHT be one on the M50 right near to the Loughlinstown exit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Bambi wrote: »
    A headstone beside silloge road in ballymun, odd one that it's still covered in tons of soft toys years later.

I remember the day that tragedy happened, i was in a friends flat overlooking it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tragic-fouryearold-may-have-been-hit-by-two-trucks-inquest-hears-96248.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elian

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. This is great, now just need to get out there ASAP.
    I did not expect so much. Thanks a mill again! Super!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi elian,
    I wonder if this is the sort of thing your interested in or if you can shed any light on the story behind it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ericl wrote: »
    I remember the day that tragedy happened, i was in a friends flat overlooking it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tragic-fouryearold-may-have-been-hit-by-two-trucks-inquest-hears-96248.lhtm

I lived there, sad thing was that they had been warned that it was only matter of time before a child was killed.

You don't have anymore info on this? Pass it twice a day going to and from college on the Luas and since it appeared there about a month and a half ago I've been wondering what's the background, murder or accident, etc...?

I do have some info about Suir Road Luas stop: the tribute is for a young man named Daryl Howell and also his friend Jason Canavan who apparently died one month before this Daryl guy. Tribute, as I recognise, is done by his girlfriend.

http://daryl.howell.gonetoosoon.org/
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/dad-of-crash-boy-16-was-a-murder-victim-1871078.html
    http://o.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5494472105
    Hermy wrote: »
    Hi elian,
    I wonder if this is the sort of thing your interested in or if you can shed any light on the story behind it?

Nope, unfortunately I do not know the reason behind this... I guess, this might be literally call to mankind to distinguish between brotherhood and friendship? Just a thought.
    There's one beside Cheeverstown in Templeogue, always maintained. Don't know who it's for though.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to map the point, but I have no success. There is one Cheeverstown Rd. in Dublin, but that is by Jobstown & Tallaght Bypass.. Templeogue is the living area in Dublin, but I cannot find any connection with Cheeverstown. Can you please clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I do have some info about Suir Road Luas stop: the tribute is for a young man named Daryl Howell and also his friend Jason Canavan who apparently died one month before this Daryl guy. Tribute, as I recognise, is done by his girlfriend.

http://daryl.howell.gonetoosoon.org/
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/dad-of-crash-boy-16-was-a-murder-victim-1871078.html
    http://o.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5494472105

Cheers, googled his name a while back but with no success. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Nope, unfortunately I do not know the reason behind this... I guess, this might be literally call to mankind to distinguish between brotherhood and friendship? Just a thought.
    Apparently it's a common sight in graveyards so maybe it's in memory of someone who died in the area.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to map the point, but I have no success. There is one Cheeverstown Rd. in Dublin, but that is by Jobstown & Tallaght Bypass.. Templeogue is the living area in Dublin, but I cannot find any connection with Cheeverstown. Can you please clarify?

The place is called Cheerverstown House and its on Templeogue Road. About 200m from the Spawell Roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's also one here...

A little boy was knocked down and died over 12 years ago there. If you do decide to take photographs there be discreet, it's across from a Traveller site and it was a Traveller boy that died.

Actually, an unusual one you might be interested in, about 20 years ago or so two young lads were knocked down and killed at the junction of O'Hogan and Ballyfermot Roads by a stolen car. A plaque was placed on the spot where it happened but every Christmas the householder does his house up in full Christmas regalia, apparently in memory of the two young lads,he then gives any donations he receives to charity. Worth a look,he really does a spectacular job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

There is also a marble plaque attached to fencing on the park right between Liffey Gales G.A.A Club entrance and the bustop on Sarsfield Rd in Ballyfermot. I think it's in memory of a young man who was killed a few years ago. Checkit out it's only 10 mins from town on the bus!
    Every week without fail I notice there is fresh flowers on the plaque with birthday cards,christmas cards etc attached . In 4 years I have never managed to catch the people putting flowers there.

I like the idea of the Ghostbikes :)

Sundew wrote: »
    There is also a marble plaque attached to fencing on the park right between Liffey Gales G.A.A Club entrance and the bustop on Sarsfield Rd in Ballyfermot. I think it's in memory of a young man who was killed a few years ago. Checkit out it's only 10 mins from town on the bus!
    Every week without fail I notice there is fresh flowers on the plaque with birthday cards,christmas cards etc attached . In 4 years I have never managed to catch the people putting flowers there.

I like the idea of the Ghostbikes :)
    That was a lounge boy from the club killed new years eve some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

There a memorial plaque in Sandyford Industrial Estate-you will find it if you take the pedestrian entrance opposite Vodafone/Bewleys on Leopardstown Road.

Allright. I have taken the information from most of the posts and created a map.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=lv&msa=0&msid=114322892005710831574.00047883de64ba56eb2ca&ll=53.387833,-6.242981&spn=0.183462,0.528374&z=12

Website www.irishroadside.com is a very good resource, but in my case I am looking for city furniture (railings, walls, lamp posts) used as gravestones/monuments as supposed to real monuments (plaques, crosses etc.) set up for victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Cycling enthusiasts have placed a couple of "Ghostbikes" in the city.These are to mark the exact spot that cyclist have been involved in fatal accidents. Here's a photo of one in at Harolds Cross Bridge. 4131898244_1366820496_o.jpg

Go to www.ghostbikes.org for more info.

Advertisement