Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish rail what a joke

• 16-11-2009 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

The first train to run today since the bridge collapse was 30 minutes late getting to Connolly. It's supposed to run to Pearse but terminated at Connolly. Three months to get this right and they still **** it up.

A collegue who stuck with the bus 25 minutes later got into work 4 minutes earlier. I'm going to continue driving for now.

Should sack the lot of them and start again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

So, the bus was a better commuting option - and you still want to drive?

If we 'sack the lot of them and start again', does that mean the viaduct should be smashed up again?

Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

bazzer wrote: »
    So, the bus was a better commuting option - and you still want to drive?

If we 'sack the lot of them and start again', does that mean the viaduct should be smashed up again?

Go away.

It's a better commuting option than the train for now. Pity the first service is at 7.00 I need to be in a bit earlier.

Sack them all and privatize the running of the rail service. Incompent shower that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

give them a bit of a chance to get organised fellas...first day and all (although as with the WRC , I suspect that the Bus IS the better option...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I was under the impression that there would be a new timetable today. However the DARTS were totally overcrowded again at 8.10 in Tara. People couldn't get on. The suburban trains used to run to Bray before the collapse but they still stop at Pearse. Not really acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

The whole situation is a train wreck if you ask me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I was under the impression that there would be a new timetable today. However the DARTS were totally overcrowded again at 8.10 in Tara. People couldn't get on. The suburban trains used to run to Bray before the collapse but they still stop at Pearse. Not really acceptable.

The timetable change does not take place until November 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i believe their still taking it easy going over the bridge... to fast and it can create sound/vibration waves through out the bridge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

DART were running over 10 minutes late after 9, presume there was some earlier problem. Of course, in accordance with the passengers charter, passenger were kept informed of any proble-- oh, wait, it's Irish Rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please note.

The 2009 timetable does not apply.

The 2010 timetable does not apply.

The "during the disruption" timetable does not apply.

Some fuzzy "after the disruption" timetable does apply. Expect some trains to run a bit late, or a lot early, or to Bray (while heading northbound through Rush & Lusk).

In other words, everything is back to normal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would it be asking too much for them to have an announcement on the displays detailing that there would be minor disruption for this "bedding in" period? Or does such courtesy escape them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

ixoy wrote: »
    Would it be asking too much for them to have an announcement on the displays detailing that there would be minor disruption for this "bedding in" period? Or does such courtesy escape them?

It doesn't seem to be a planned disruption so I wouldn't imagine advance warning is possible never mind necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

the whole debacle raises an interesting question.

Given that most of the population north of Dublin city lives in what is badly planned suburban sprawl were they gravitating towards the rail line in the absence of other options. The obvious answer is that people in the sprawl would be better served by buses (many of them on a fequent service).

Bus is often seen as being less reliable and attractive when compared with rail and tram. However, the recent experiences have demonstrated that express bus services to the outer suburbs/sprawl is possibly the better solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The bus is a good option where there is strong priority given to it all along the route.

BrianD wrote: »
    Given that most of the population north of Dublin city lives in what is badly planned suburban sprawl were they gravitating towards the rail line in the absence of other options. The obvious answer is that people in the sprawl would be better served by buses (many of them on a fequent service).
    Actualy, as sprawl goes, its not that bad as most of the towns are actually on the rail line and not far from the motorway. Of course, meaningful feeder buses are a missing essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

corktina wrote: »
    give them a bit of a chance to get organised fellas...first day and all (although as with the WRC , I suspect that the Bus IS the better option...)

As much as I like rail travel, Iarnrod Eireann are a bunch of incompetent gobshytes they've had since 1987 to make things work and they still cant make the trains run on time twenty two years later :mad:

Its long overdue a really good shake up in the upper management and clearing out of the wasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

BrianD wrote: »
    tHowever, the recent experiences have demonstrated that express bus services to the outer suburbs/sprawl is possibly the better solution.
    What was/is the true cost of running the express bus services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Bluetonic wrote: »
    What was/is the true cost of running the express bus services?

I believe it cost IR 600 per bus. In reality, AFAIK only 3 bus operators are licensed to run buses between Drogheda and Dublin; Bus Eireann, Matthews coaches and Anchor Tours. Thats obviously some sort of public service license or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

landyman wrote: »
    As much as I like rail travel, Iarnrod Eireann are a bunch of incompetent gobshytes they've had since 1987 to make things work and they still cant make the trains run on time twenty two years later :mad:

Its long overdue a really good shake up in the upper management and clearing out of the wasters

They have had since 1945 to get it right and no matter how much money is thrown at them nothing is going to change. CIE/IE is run as a gigantic social employment scheme for staff and managers that would be unemployable in the private sector. Passengers, freight and running trains are seen as a damn nuisance to their overpaid lives.

fh041205 wrote: »
    I believe it cost IR 600 per bus. In reality, AFAIK only 3 bus operators are licensed to run buses between Drogheda and Dublin; Bus Eireann, Matthews coaches and Anchor Tours. Thats obviously some sort of public service license or something similar.
    Per journey?

Per journey?
    That is entirely dependent on how many journeys you can fit into the day and the occupancy / seat turnover per journey.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    That is entirely dependent on how many journeys you can fit into the day and the occupancy / seat turnover per journey.
    You've misinterpreted my post.

I'm asking is that €600 per journey.

You've misinterpreted my post.

I'm asking is that €600 per journey.
    More like €600 per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

More like €600 per day.

€600 per day to the state for running a bus?! OM effing G!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Probably with all the feckin overheads!!

Should cost nearly that much I would imagine, and seen as though the cost of travelling to dublin from here is like 2.50/3.50, you need like 240 passangers a day to make even. Im sure they would have a lot lot more than that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not really. Certain costs will remain the same regardless of number of journeys or passengers per journey. Others will change.

Insurance, depreciation, maintenance, tax, advertising are all fairly fixed.
    Fuel, wages etc will vary depending on loadings, distance and time etc

Advertisement