Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is a new build dry enough to paint ?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Just wondering when a new house is dry enough to paint?
    There is no heat on in the house, (no electricity or heating connected yet)
    the house has roof, doors and windows in for months, good insulation and the house was drying out well, with the sunny weather,
    the walls have been upstairs walls seemed dry enough to paint
    the first few coats,
    then last month the concrete floor was poured over the heating pipes down stairs and this week we got the painter took a look at it and he said it was fine to paint so off he went

but now with the damp weather the house seems damp again,
    and it looks like some rooms are getting damp again, and some paint cracking off.
    How long after the concrete floor is poured should we wait to paint the house, i thought we should have painted most of it before the electric's, doors and window sills go in...

Or should i have let it dry out very well and then paint it before we move in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,177 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The house should be left as long as possible before painting. Id suggest a couple of months after the heating is going. If you were in a hurry a sealer coat should always be applied first.

I'll move this to the DIY forum as it may get more replies there and its probably a more appropriate forum for the topic.

Advertisement