Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Mixed Gas Diving - Wreck, Ice and Cave : Wed 2nd Dec TCD

• 16-11-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

8pm Wed 2nd December
    Thomas Davis theatre, Arts Building, Trinity College Dublin

Michael Griffin is 36 and has been diving since 1996. However not until 2007 did Michael begin to develop himself through the recreational ranks and move firmly into technical diving. His passion for diving through multiple environments is infectious and he has trained extensively with numerous agencies to build competence and expertise in Shipwreck, Ice and Cave diving. While a member of GUE and a DIR diver he is also a PADI instructor and is determined to try to undo the damage done to DIR diving by the “Zealots” on the internet.

Michael holds qualifications from CMAS, PADI, DSAT, TDI and GUE and has a broad perspective on the fun and the spirit of adventure of diving. In this presentation Michael will explain his choices and decisions, challenges and successes in moving from a basic recreational diver in 2007 to a proficient mixed gas technical diver and scuba instructor in 2009. He will also discuss how he is turning his passion for diving into a new business opportunity for 2010. When Michael is not diving he is the Operations Director of the Griffin Hotel Group, owners of the renowned Monart Destination Spa, recognised internationally as one of the top destination spas of the world.

As usual the show is free and open to the public so bring friends etc. We will be accepting donations on behalf of Spinal Injuries Ireland after the show.

See you there,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

BUMP - show is on this Wed

Hope to see ye there.

Stephen

Show is on tonight!!!

Folks - it couldn't be easier to find the location. If you're coming in the Nassau St/Dawson St side entrance - just take the first building entrance on your right. I'm not entirely sure where the Davis Theatre is myself but you'll be within 50m of it at that stage. Conduct a circular search ;)

Show starts at 8pm sharp

If anyone is driving in then I reckon your best bet is Setanta Car Park just off Molesworth Street: http://www.dublinks.com/maps/Setanta-Car-Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Another excellent presentation.
    Congrats to Michael and to Stephen.

Thanks for saying so.

That was a superb show. Huge thanks to Michael for all the effort that so obviously was put into one of the most professional presentations I've seen. Mike, thanks so much for the effort of coming up from Kilkenny and back down on the same evening. Personally I got a lot out of the show and certainly some of the ideas described were intriguing. I laughed a couple of times at the contrast of techniques between the Florida caves and my typical dive in Donegal :D

With communication skills like he demonstrated last evening and with his obvious level of skill as a diver Michael will have a very bright future as a dive instructor.

S

[P.S. podcast details and amount collected for charity Spinal Injuries Ireland on the way later]

€150 was collected and donated to Spinal Injuries Ireland.

Thanks to everyone who contributed for their generosity.

Cheers folks!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement