Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

omerin wrote: »
    I got that text too, but wireless on a 100mb I only get

2761072869.png
    NoDrama wrote: »
    Got a text yesterday by UPC to say that I have being upgraded from 50Mb. Happy out.
    2761023144.png
    Sorry to hijack ur quotes :D
    But, why does one of ur tests say UPC Ireland and the other one says UPC Broadband gmbh. Don't both of you have the same ISP? Great speeds btw

Sorry to hijack ur quotes :D
    But, why does one of ur tests say UPC Ireland and the other one says UPC Broadband gmbh. Don't both of you have the same ISP? Great speeds btw

I suspect it is because My IP has conflicting information as from entering my details in yougetsignal it comes back with saying that I am based in Oslo, Norway, though I am here in West Dublin, hence the reason it is GMBH.

I suspect it is because My IP has conflicting information as from entering my details in yougetsignal it comes back with saying that I am based in Oslo, Norway, though I am here in West Dublin, hence the reason it is GMBH.
    Oh alright. GMBH is to do with German businesses though, I think it's something to do with liability but I'm not sure. Yeah that website says I'm based in Kildare when I'm really in Carlow lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

UPC promised me an upgrade to 50mg today and told me to switch the modem off for a minute and turn it on again and I should be upgraded. Here's the result of the speed test. Were they lying? :confused:

http://speedtest.net/result/2764704150.png

Pingtest.net tells me I have 36ms?

Anyone? No idea what I should be looking at. Don't want to ring UPC and make a tit of myself if I'm already getting 50mb :o. Youtube links are a bit juddery which makes me suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Anyone? No idea what I should be looking at. Don't want to ring UPC and make a tit of myself if I'm already getting 50mb :o. Youtube links are a bit juddery which makes me suspicious.

You're getting less than half of the 50Mb/s that you are expecting. Your ping is fine so latency is good but your upload rate is pretty poor. I would check again at different times of the day and see if it improves. If not, complain.

Calling all UPC folks - am I correct in saying that UPC has a contention rate of 8:1? If so then the OP may just be out of luck.

By contrast, my uncontested Eircom eFibre connection is pretty constant at all times of the day at ~46Mb/s

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

UPC promised me an upgrade to 50mg today and told me to switch the modem off for a minute and turn it on again and I should be upgraded. Here's the result of the speed test. Were they lying? :confused:

what modem/router do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

You're getting less than half of the 50Mb/s that you are expecting. Your ping is fine so latency is good but your upload rate is pretty poor. I would check again at different times of the day and see if it improves. If not, complain.

Calling all UPC folks - am I correct in saying that UPC has a contention rate of 8:1? If so then the OP may just be out of luck.

By contrast, my uncontested Eircom eFibre connection is pretty constant at all times of the day at ~46Mb/s

Chris
    Are you on wifi or is that via Ethernet?

Is that via Ethernet or wifi?

Gumbi wrote: »
    Is that via Ethernet or wifi?

Wifi

johndoe99 wrote: »
    what modem/router do you have?

Don't know :o, whatever UPC gave us 12 months ago!

• Advertisement

Wifi

Wifi degrades easily enough. Especially through walls and stuff. I had my desktop in the extension which meant the signal had to come through a concrete wall. It would drop randomly while gaming. I fixed if by sticking my wifi USB around the corner.

The only time you'll get a lerfect wifi signal is if you're right on top of the router. Use an Ethernet cable to get a better idea of your connection. And do it at on/off peak hours for a fairer estimate. Although wifi def seems to be the cause here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Wifi

Unless you have wireless n on your laptop and router you are not going to get 50mb on wifi. That is why you need to do any speedtests over ethernet.

I'm sitting about 5ft away from the modem, it's directly in front of me! Rang UPC again and they checked and said I hadn't been upgraded and they would do it for me this afternoon. Fingers crossed, will do another speed test tonight!

Gumbi wrote: »
    Wifi degrades easily enough. Especially through walls and stuff. I had my desktop in the extension which meant the signal had to come through a concrete wall. It would drop randomly while gaming. I fixed if by sticking my wifi USB around the corner.

The only time you'll get a lerfect wifi signal is if you're right on top of the router. Use an Ethernet cable to get a better idea of your connection. And do it at on/off peak hours for a fairer estimate. Although wifi def seems to be the cause here.

It seems to have slowed up over time. I used to get a great wifi connection in the house next door, now I can barely pick up a signal there!

Don't know :o, whatever UPC gave us 12 months ago!

there will be a name and model on the modem. When i upgraded to 50mb, they sent me a new modem as my old UPC one wasn't for docsis 3.

It's a Cisco 2.4ghz EPC3925

It's a Cisco 2.4ghz EPC3925

that's mine, thats for docsis3.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2767470959.png

:( Hi... I'm with 3 and the reception over the last few weeks has been rubbish, it's the same through WiFi (TP Link 3G router) or with the dongle plugged directly into my laptop,

I'm in the Roscrea, Tipp area..... anyone else having the same problems,

or any tips/advice, thanks.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    that's mine, thats for docsis3.

Don't know what docsis3 is :o but when I ran the speedtest last night it had improved significantly, very similar speeds to yours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there anyway of improving my ping level with eircom? I just did a test on pingtest and it was up around the 200 mark. i was playing an online game recently and it rocketed up to 300 and was unplayable. is there anything i can do to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but is there anyway of improving my ping level with eircom? I just did a test on pingtest and it was up around the 200 mark. i was playing an online game recently and it rocketed up to 300 and was unplayable. is there anything i can do to fix this?

If it rockets it could be down to a number of things like people streaming in your household, content being uploaded (photographs) or apps being downloaded for a smartphone. If it isn't the case for these types of situations you may need to take screenshots of your ping tests and send them to Eircom (technical support). Ring them up and tell them that you have issues with your fluctuating ping and that you can send them on examples of you pinging servers like Eircom:

ping eircom.net
    ping google.com
    ping boards.ie

red_bairn wrote: »
    If it rockets it could be down to a number of things like people streaming in your household, content being uploaded (photographs) or apps being downloaded for a smartphone.

this isnt the case at the moment so its still very high. ill look into what you suggested but im presuming that its way too high anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

50mb UPC With the new Technicolor TC7200

Wireless 2772979529.png

I decided to test this again today and I'm down to around 30 ping. very strange, its there a particular reason for this can anyone tell me, I dont really understand much about ping

2783559178.png

• Advertisement

I decided to test this again today and I'm down to around 30 ping. very strange, its there a particular reason for this can anyone tell me, I dont really understand much about ping

Imagine a man (data) on a bus ([network]packet) which travels on to many bus stops (nodes) and terminates at it's final destination (server) for the man. :D
    Node (networking), a device such as a computer or switch attached to a computer or telecommunications network, or a point in a network topology where lines intersect or terminate

There is a device in the VDSL cabinet (FTTC) that is apparently altering the speeds and ping times. I heard this from one of the lads on the other threads.

traceroute.gif

The Tracert above shows 30 hops ("bus stops") - on the right-hand side you can see the location of the "bus stop" (The Static IP address in brackets can also help to identify a location).

The first hop is from the user's network modem (Internal IP address) and the last hop is the server.

Hop hop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidmac6

2789685875.png

82915994.png

vodafone fibre. im roughly 15m from the cabinet.

UPC Ireland seem to be using IP addresses belonging to UPC Austria for some reason. My IP address recently changed after maintenance in the area. I did have an IP in the 89.101 range but now its an 80.111 IP. It's detected as UPC Broadband GmbH. MSN.com shows me weather for Bischofshofen in Austria, and lyngsat.com detects me as being in Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Like ugglasdav,

I get almost the same on laptop on same modem and 50MB connection, very pleased with that. 15ms ping.

But on Samsung S2 on same wireless connection and only get 4/5 MB and was getting 4 times that.

1) Any ideas why the phone has dropped so suddenly?
    2) Laptop is N and I believe S2 is too, should set up
    Technicolor TC7200 to just use N.

Thanks,

ugglasdav wrote: »
    50mb UPC With the new Technicolor TC7200

Wireless 2772979529.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 baaah

I got upgraded to the eircom efibre this week

2790775153.png

Ping a bit higher than I would have expected, but otherwise ok.

• Advertisement

baaah wrote: »
    I got upgraded to the eircom efibre this week

2790775153.png

Ping a bit higher than I would have expected, but otherwise ok.

Distance to the cabinet? 200-300m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

davidmac6 wrote: »
    2789685875.png

82915994.png

vodafone fibre. im roughly 15m from the cabinet.

Fastest VDSL result I have seen so far....

2796815413.png
    I have Sky, anyone know what's up with the ISP thing?
    It always used to say Esat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 passman

UPC 150
    Irish server:
    2797117585.png
    83041463.png

UK server:
    2797132889.png

It works good but if you've only Wi-Fi there's no point of getting more than 50 for UPC and/or 70 for Vodafone/Eircom as the default setting on your Wi-Fi routers will get you around 70 mbps (20 MHz at 2.4 GHz). 5 GHz will cut the distance to half so there's no point of setting it up for 150-300 mbps.
    I don't recommend you ordering more than 100 mbps (UPC) and/or 70 mbps (Vodafone, Eircom, etc.).
    UPC's 50 mbps is more than enough if you ask me.
    For gamers... go for Eircom as it has 20 mbps upload compared to 10 for UPC.
    For everyday use UPC is better due to higher download speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 baaah

red_bairn wrote: »
    Distance to the cabinet? 200-300m?

I really have no idea . Had a look around the area , but can't see anything obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ichirau

Got mine installed today, Don't know how far i'm away from cabinet but i'm happy. Closest place Speedtest gave me was Dundalk(In Drogheda) So maybe it's quicker than it says.

Also that test was with wired. Wireless i get the same Ping/Upload but 42mb download. So think i'll just stick with wireless.

2798553930.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22 i_davison

I have it installed since Thursday engineer told me that best speed he was getting in Letterkenny was 43 m/bits download i think Digiweb maybe the best up here. Also the Fritz!box router is the business. I am approx 250 metres from nearest cabinet.

Provider : Digiweb

i_davison wrote: »
    I have it installed since Thursday engineer told me that best speed he was getting in Letterkenny was 43 m/bits download i think Digiweb maybe the best up here. Also the Fritz!box router is the business. I am approx 250 metres from nearest cabinet.

Provider : Digiweb

Very nice indeed! (The 43)That was his own home speed?

That is a connected Ethernet home speed my speed is a wee bit better again !

That's a house he did in Letterkenny fastest speed he has got so far now there isa new leader !

• Advertisement

better again !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

i_davison wrote: »
    better again !!

Why are you testing a server in London? Click on an Irish one.

Also, when the Speedtest has finished, find the forum link and post it here so the Speedtest results appear in your comments like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kenger

[IMG][/img]2809565882.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

In the hills of Wexford, I just had Rocket Broadband installed. Bloomin' delighted I am :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2810666827.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

oldyouth wrote: »
    In the hills of Wexford, I just had Rocket Broadband installed. Bloomin' delighted I am :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2810666827.png

Do you mind me asking what general location in Wexford you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Nolars wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what general location in Wexford you are?[/QUOTE

Ballindinas Barntown, near Forth Mountain. I had Vodafone at Home but it was line dependant and never hit 1Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

I got UPC 100mb in Swords a couple of weeks ago so far Im happy, if I use UPC's speedtest the ping is around 9ms.

2814053357.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

passman wrote: »
    UPC 150
    Irish server:
    2797117585.png
    83041463.png

UK server:
    2797132889.png

It works good but if you've only Wi-Fi there's no point of getting more than 50 for UPC and/or 70 for Vodafone/Eircom as the default setting on your Wi-Fi routers will get you around 70 mbps (20 MHz at 2.4 GHz). 5 GHz will cut the distance to half so there's no point of setting it up for 150-300 mbps.
    I don't recommend you ordering more than 100 mbps (UPC) and/or 70 mbps (Vodafone, Eircom, etc.).
    UPC's 50 mbps is more than enough if you ask me.
    For gamers... go for Eircom as it has 20 mbps upload compared to 10 for UPC.
    For everyday use UPC is better due to higher download speeds.

You may have given bad advice there. I think you're point is that the ISP supplied modem may throttle the available download rate so that 150Mb is artificially throttled by a WIFI path to your computer. The most obvious retard is that the user my connect over Ethernet and so more effectively share the connection with other domestic users. It is true that 150Mb may be overkill but it depends as much on how the user is connected as to why the user is connected.

Regards

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Pretty crap for 100mb

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2821895111

A call to upc me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

2820257541.png

I have absolutely no use for this kind of speed, it serves as nothing but cock gesturing to my mates.

Advertisement