Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

3108922530.png

to

3109395158.png

and cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

3110088575.png
    89445645.png
    Sky finally behaving itself tonight(after 3-4 months of torture)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

raymix wrote: »
    Upgrading to Vodafone VDSL in few weeks, this is Smart Broadband (owned by Digiweb) in Dundalk centre.
    I'm behind 2 routers with a 500Mb/s AC ethernet adapter (Homeplug) in between them:

2990274013.png86910914.png

Upgrade:
    Homeplug, old cat5 cables and second modem/router running as switch now. Gotta order proper gigabit switch and cables in preparation for vectoring.

3124717937.png89723331.png
    shot_131125_183534.png
    shot_131125_184057.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

• Registered Users Posts: 17 agentcrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

UPC Horizon 150Mbps - Wired
    3131723246.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3131723246[/QUOTE]

PING :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

3154017428.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

UPC Horizon 150Mbps - Wired
    3131723246.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3131723246[/QUOTE]

PING :eek:

It could be better :P

Got fibre yesterday. I'm with Eircom about 550m from the cabinet. Very happy with it.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/708042731
    I'm on the iPad at the moment so can't do a ping test.
    I'm on the 50/20 profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DomKasper

Hi everyone, I used to use boards a lot , but havent had the time so I forgot my password and I no longer have the e-mail I used to register, I want to share with you my speed results and ask a quick question too! first off a quick brief!
    I got efibre installed around a month ago, and whilst generally good i have noticed a weird phenomenon. The day it got installed i was getting 66mb out of 70 which is fine, but the following day i noticed that the speed has gone down to 9mb with upload staying at 15mb. I then rebooted the modem and speeds were back up to 66mb. I soon realized that the 66mb speed goes down to 9mb after few hours, and rebooting brings it back up. I tried to call eircom but all I got is "your efibre has not yet been ativated" from their agents, which is a lot of Donkeys B*lls. I have a background in IT and whilst networking isn't my forte, I am fully aware how it works, so the only thing I can think off why this is happening is that eircom themselves are throttling the network or the modem is faulty and is defaulting to 10mb.
    Here are my speeds :
    3149227891.png
    3155161131.png
    and thats my speed graph
    2dsn0vc.jpg
    So my question is, should I try eircom again, or are other people experiencing these fluctuations?

P.S. I wasn't sure about creating a new thread for this, so if I should have I am very sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

15qyyw0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

eircom efibre speedtest Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

So I live in Castleblayney in Monaghan but out in the countryside, I get like 1.7 mb download speed and 0.2 upload speed with eircom, is there anything at all I can do to increase these poverty speeds? I just got a ps4 and really don't want to be left behind when game streaming and downloading becomes more prominant over the next few years.

Eircom says I can get speeds of up to 24 mbs but is it because I live up a hill in the countryside that my telephone wire will not support 24mbs? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to broadband so any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I notice that Anyalla is getting Fibre next March and 'Blayney in April. Bit odd that Anyalla is getting it and places like Newbliss have to wait for the next rollout. Do you happen to live anywhere near to Anyalla?

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Broomfield is the only other rural place around 'Blayney that is in the second rollout.

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_announces_plans_to_extend_its_fibre_broadband_footprint_to_1.4_milli/

What Eircom said is probably right and there isn't much you can do unless Fibre becomes available to your address. This isn't the right thread for this discussion, it is for speedtest results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

DomKasper wrote: »
    The day it got installed i was getting 66mb out of 70 which is fine, but the following day i noticed that the speed has gone down to 9mb with upload staying at 15mb. I then rebooted the modem and speeds were back up to 66mb. I soon realized that the 66mb speed goes down to 9mb after few hours, and rebooting brings it back up.

You must be living very close to the fibre cabinet to synch at those speeds. I wonder if those are max possible speeds rather than actual recordings. That appears to be the effect of rate adaptive DSL where the speed of the connection is reduced to match the quality of the line. You should ask for a Megger test which is a comprehensive DC and stress test of your line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It seems I haven't been so lucky with Eircom E-Fibre.

I'm in Swords and I got E-Fibre installed last Friday:

Download: 22.93mb
    Upload: 15.43mb
    Ping: 29

Sure, it's better than the 8mb down and 5mb up I was getting, but I had hoped for better.

:-(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Uriel. wrote: »
    It seems I haven't been so lucky with Eircom E-Fibre.

Via Wifi or Ethernet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Blade wrote: »
    Via Wifi or Ethernet?

That's wifi.

I can't get ethernet to work on my laptop for some reason. I have Vista, any ideas? it keeps asking me for username and password for the connection..
    Works fine with wireless and my ps3 and receiver work fine via ethernet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Uriel. wrote: »
    That's wifi.

I can't get ethernet to work on my laptop for some reason. I have Vista, any ideas? it keeps asking me for username and password for the connection..
    Works fine with wireless and my ps3 and receiver work fine via ethernet.

Don't have Vista so no idea why it would be asking you for a password for ethernet. I'm sure you'll find an answer if you Google it.

I'm sure your e-fibre connection is fine, you can't go by speeds over wifi. I get similar speeds to you over wifi, about half the actual speed that you can only check properly over ethernet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

3183638634.png

UPC Ireland Speed Test:
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 17521 kbps (2190.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3087 kbps (385.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 13 ms
    Jitter: 1 ms
    23 December 2013 18:48:42

Westside, Galway city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Magnet 70mb fatpipe, drogheda area, altho ive only 2 weeks left with them and im off to vodafone, not risking it with magnet and the history they have had the last few months

Line Rate (Down / Up)50174 Kbps / 20479 Kbps
    Attenuation (Down / Up)14.1 dB / 5.1 dB
    Noise Margin (Down / Up)8.9 dB / 8.3 dB

3184070060.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

100mb/s broadband from UPC. Ethernet cable directly connecting to their Horizon box. Incredible stuff, how is this not illegal? Can't wait for strict laws to come in

3193258225.png

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

F9Devil wrote: »
    100mb/s broadband from UPC. Ethernet cable directly connecting to their Horizon box. Incredible stuff, how is this not illegal? Can't wait for strict laws to come in

3193258225.png

What do you mean "illegal"?? I hope you are being sarcastic.

3193258225.png

Jesus that's shocking something similar to my speeds with sky before I went to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

jay_k wrote: »
    What do you mean "illegal"?? I hope you are being sarcastic.

AH. nevermind, you were talking about your results. DERP!

Yeah those results are bad.
    Keep calling them, and keep logging faults, that's how I got them to get off their ass as well as credit my account for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

3193258225.png

Got rid of UPC a few months ago over speeds like that, had constant ongoing problems with them that never got fixed.

Have a 50meg Vodafone connection now that is more reliable and out performs my old 150 meg UPC connection :rolleyes:

3193774166.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

3193258225.png
    I was looking at this from Mobile and could only view the text and I thought you were being sarcastic that the speeds were that good. Then I remembered just how bad Horizon is and came on to have a look, can't say I was surprised :P

4wkLSct.png
    Vodafone 3G indoors in really windy, rainy weather.
    On Moto G.

• Advertisement

http://i.imgur.com/4wkLSct.png
    Vodafone 3G indoors in really windy, rainy weather.
    On Moto G.

Edit: It appears I have accidentally doubled posted, my apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

UPC 250MB Broadband, over wifi with a Netgear WNDR4300

3219941611.png

3219941611.png

Only slightly over half the supposed speed, upload isn't great. I'm getting 44-47 on a 50meg connection. 16-17 upload on the 20 meg.

jca wrote: »
    Only slightly over half the supposed speed, upload isn't great. I'm getting 44-47 on a 50meg connection. 16-17 upload on the 20 meg.

Its over wifi though

I get 240 down with wired

I can't work out how to get the Netgear to give higher than 150 on the wireless !

Its over wifi though

I get 240 down with wired

I can't work out how to get the Netgear to give higher than 150 on the wireless !

240:cool: Maybe your wireless card is maxed out at 140? It might not be the router's fault.

jca wrote: »
    240:cool: Maybe your wireless card is maxed out at 140? It might not be the router's fault.

Netgear Genie on my HTC One shows the network with 100% signal strength but 150Mbps mode

The settings for the 5g network in the router is set to up to 450mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Netgear Genie on my HTC One shows the network with 100% signal strength but 150Mbps mode

The settings for the 5g network in the router is set to up to 450mbps

Getting 150 wirelessly is very good. AC with the correct client can in very good conditions go higher, but you need a very good NIC to do it along with a suitable router.

If you need max throughput go wired.

ED E wrote: »
    Getting 150 wirelessly is very good. AC with the correct client can in very good conditions go higher, but you need a very good NIC to do it along with a suitable router.

If you need max throughput go wired.

Cheers, getting 180 down over wireless N now so looking better this morning.

I have an ac Netgear too (testing for work) but alas apple have not added ac to the macbook air yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭_MadRa_

91641179.png

3222610695.png
    24mb Tralee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

288281.png

Just got in Eircom eFiber in Lucan. I think it's supposed to be a 70 mbps package. Not impressed. Sometimes I can get a speed of up to 46mbps. But most of the time, it's like above. What is odd is that the upload speed is so much better than the download speed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

3rdDegree wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/57498/288281.png

Just got in Eircom eFiber in Lucan. I think it's supposed to be a 70 mbps package. Not impressed. Sometimes I can get a speed of up to 46mbps. But most of the time, it's like above. What is odd is that the upload speed is so much better than the download speed.
    Could be congestion, try again late at night.

Unfortunately it's "up to"

If the line is bad then it might fall back to 50Mb or similar

also do the tests wired and make sure no one else is on the network

re WiFi
    my old 802.11g (54Mb/s according to connection) router maxed out at 11Mb because I had it underclocked, clocking at normal speed got me to 13Mb and using it as a switch instead of a router got me 24Mb - not to mention competition from video senders and neighbours wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

3219941611.png

How did you manage to get that god like speed with wifi?:eek:

kingbob387 wrote: »
    How did you manage to get that god like speed with wifi?:eek:

Getting even better now !

Use a decent netgear router and the UPC modem bridged to it. The netgear has gig ports and you have the use the 5ghz wireless network to get it

Getting even better now !

Use a decent netgear router and the UPC modem bridged to it. The netgear has gig ports and you have the use the 5ghz wireless network to get it

Can I ask which Wifi adapter are you using for the 5Ghz network? I would like to get one for that speed too :pac:

kingbob387 wrote: »
    Can I ask which Wifi adapter are you using for the 5Ghz network? I would like to get one for that speed too :pac:

Adapter on my laptop ?

Its the standard one apple put in the macbook air !

Adapter on my laptop ?

Its the standard one apple put in the macbook air !

Well ****:pac:

Any recommendation for Windows PCs?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

3229449695.png

91786628.png

Is this a fair result for Eircom 24mb broadband in west Donegal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

3229449695.png

91786628.png

Is this a fair result for Eircom 24mb broadband in west Donegal?

It's "up to 24mb". It all depends on how far away from the exchange you are. You should access your router's configuration page and see what your line attenuation is.

1. Go here to access your router's configuration page: http://192.168.1.254/
    2. Password: broadband1 (default password for eircom Zyxel routers)
    3. Look for line attenuation. It's should look something like this: "29 dB /13 dB"
    4. Paste the first number(s) (in my case it's "29") into this webpage: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

This is what mine looks like:
    2m5l10n.png

@Chris The Hacker. Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is up to 24mb.

This my my results:
    1543958_717489414937690_661501460_n.jpg?oh=5434aff8c1440ba85f08a73e38ffc903&oe=52D63C26

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

@Chris The Hacker. Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is up to 24mb.

This my my results:
    1543958_717489414937690_661501460_n.jpg?oh=5434aff8c1440ba85f08a73e38ffc903&oe=52D63C26

Ah, I see you're one of the lucky ones who lives right beside a telephone exchange. In that case, your speed is bad. You should be getting about 9mb more and your upload should be closer to 1.00mb.

Could you post a screenshot of your stats like I have done below?
    ac8l4.png

Make sure your exclude your IP address because that's sensitive information.

Another thing: did you take your speed test from a wired or wireless connection?

Ah, I see you're one of the lucky ones who lives right beside a telephone exchange. In that case, your speed is bad. You should be getting about 9mb more and your upload should be closer to 1.00mb.

Could you post a screenshot of your stats like I have done below?
    ac8l4.png

Make sure your exclude your IP address because that's sensitive information.

Another thing: did you take your speed test from a wired or wireless connection?

Yes the building is just down the road from me, I thought it was only for tv because there's a big tower.

1527819_717528761600422_1930621925_n.jpg?oh=493203df3c76e9502e4cdaddef8feef4&oe=52D64F80

Sorry, forgot to state in my first post it's a wireless connection. I'm in the same room as the router though, laptops never further than 20 feet away from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement