Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

ED E wrote: »
    Use Imgur etc, not the boards file uploader as its broken for now.

What is most important is average latency to each hop. Are you getting 1000ms to the BRAS then 1100Ms to the edge of the network?

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12640308_10154508782907538_8231770427664385642_o.jpg

Average call times over the 25 hours:
    Router - - Avg 3.750507688 ms
    b-ras1.wtd.waterford.eircom.net [159.134.155.9] - Avg 214.6634755 ms
    tenge-4-1-1.pe1.wtd.prp-wtd.eircom.net [86.43.247.105] - Avg 210.4403829 ms
    lag-3.core2.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.52] - Avg 212.5102988 ms
    tenge-1-2-1.pe2.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.252.138] - Avg 211.1694227 ms
    ge1-6.service4.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.125.47] - Avg 213.8456629 ms
    86.43.151.3 - - Avg 211.4467653 ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You poor poor man.

Yeah call and try change package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

You poor poor man.

Yeah call and try change package.

Thanks for your advice Ed, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Carnsore Broadband ( Up to 15Mbps download, 2.5Mbps upload )

5066814309.png

139411797.png

Service is OK during the daytime but at weekends and in the evening it drops right down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

improv_12 wrote: »
    Carnsore Broadband ( Up to 15Mbps download, 2.5Mbps upload )

5066814309.png

139411797.png

Service is OK during the daytime but at weekends and in the evening it drops right down :(

Lord Jaysus that's dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

5064253459.png

Wireless (same room). V happy with that.

5048922671.png

Wireless, next room. :D

5064253459.png

Wireless (same room). V happy with that.

5048922671.png

Wireless, next room. :D

An almost 20 meg drop in a different room!! Are you living in a castle? Time to ditch the upc router I think.

jca wrote: »
    An almost 20 meg drop in a different room!! Are you living in a castle? Time to ditch the upc router I think.

I know crazy isnt it? Although its not quite apples to apples as the speedtest server is different.

I literally only installed it the other day (UPC router), but I think I'll probably use it as a modem in bridge mode, and get a decent router to use instead.

5072188360.png

And wired result.

Happy enough I have to say. Certainly lucky to be in an area where I can get decent broadband. Some of the connections I see people putting up with in this thread are nothing short of an embarrassment for Irish ISPs in 2016.

• Advertisement

5072188360.png

And wired result.

Happy enough I have to say. Certainly lucky to be in an area where I can get decent broadband. Some of the connections I see people putting up with in this thread are nothing short of an embarrassment for Irish ISPs in 2016.

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Grim. wrote: »
    finally got efibre last week

nice upgrade from 8Mbs

5059979985.png

Normal bolloxollogy has returned. Supposed 70mb connection.:(

5080841633.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

My conn's been suffering at peak times too. Maybe the network is congested again.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Massive upgrade from a 8 MB max connection with my new ISP :). That's rural BB in the sthicks ^^

5081726927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Lord Jaysus that's dire.

Yep, it is pretty terrible jca. I was struggling to get 2Mps DL this eve :(

We have told Carnsore and they say they are upgrading the network....I can be patient ......but it does make me wonder how they can charge the full price for the current service....

morgana wrote: »
    Massive upgrade from a 8 MB max connection with my new ISP :). That's rural BB in the sthicks ^^

5081726927.png

Is that wimax? Where are you based is it expensive? Great speed in fairness.

• Advertisement

improv_12 wrote: »
    Yep, it is pretty terrible jca. I was struggling to get 2Mps DL this eve :(

We have told Carnsore and they say they are upgrading the network....I can be patient ......but it does make me wonder how they can charge the full price for the current service....

Nothing as bad you'd be better with no connection than that muck. I had the same experience with sky DSL BB it was enough to tip me over the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Is that wimax? Where are you based is it expensive? Great speed in fairness.

No its not WImax afaik, it's some kind of LTE technology I think. I am in North Cork, the product is called Imagine Fibre Connect (promising up to 100 Mb/s) with an average of 60). 60 Euro/month for a 20 Gig/day allowance with throttling till midnight if you go over). There are two areas where this is live atm -North Cork and Kildare. They only started to accept orders in North Cork about 2 weeks ago. (See also here). And so far I'm consistently getting over 60 Mb/s over a wired connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is that wimax?

TDD-LTE

We'll probably see a formal publication from COMREG soon detailing who's been licensed in those bands. It would be nice to see at least two operators take it on to start a bit of a land grab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We'll probably see a formal publication from COMREG soon detailing who's been licensed in those bands. It would be nice to see at least two operators take it on to start a bit of a land grab.

All existing FWALA rights of use in the 3.6 GHz band will end on 31 July 2017. Consultation on the auction process is underway.

The current licences are technology neutral, so licensees can use their preferred technology. Current licensees and their areas of coverage can be seen here (under 3.5 GHz band) - http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

The Bweeng site, from the other thread, is licensed to Imagine on Ch. E (3410-3424MHz/3510-3524MHz), 2x14 MHz/28 MHz FDD/TDD.

This from Imagine in a previous consultation submission
    The Imagine TD LTE service has been fully tested and ready to deploy. With clarity on the continuation of our licences we estimate that Imagine can service up to 500K customers by December 2018 with NGA services they would otherwise be unable to access.

Under the current business plan, Imagine will be rolling out a TD LTE fixed wireless network of 933 sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    Normal bolloxollogy has returned. Supposed 70mb connection.:(

5080841633.png

5099123159.png

Speeds back up a bit but not a patch on original speeds. Eir tell me the max on my line is 40mbs but I was 80mbs when I got efibre two weeks ago. Could it be the case of them cutting line speed to meet demand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just got Sky Fibre 100mb put in yesterday afternoon, this is what I'm getting right now:

5102612422.png

Would this be normal for such early days? Previously had Virgin so line that Sky are using was not in use for some time so maybe its just because its so new?

Techmaster wrote: »
    Just got Sky Fibre 100mb put in yesterday afternoon, this is what I'm getting right now:

5102612422.png

Would this be normal for such early days? Previously had Virgin so line that Sky are using was not in use for some time so maybe its just because its so new?

Few options here:

A. Sky have had Sierra out but KNN have not visited the cab yet, you're on ADSL not "Fiber". Most likely. EDIT: Not possible.

B. Botched install, something was done incorrectly and thus the line is way under performing

C. You're WAYYYY away from the cab and should never have be sold it in the first place.

Put you phone number in here and paste back the results (without the number):
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Few options here:

A. Sky have had Sierra out but KNN have not visited the cab yet, you're on ADSL not "Fiber". Most likely. EDIT: Not possible.

B. Botched install, something was done incorrectly and thus the line is way under performing

C. You're WAYYYY away from the cab and should never have be sold it in the first place.

Put you phone number in here and paste back the results (without the number):
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Line results from that link:

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 100 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Most likely its just a wrong profile so, or its botched. Call Sky, chances are they'll have you sorted out within a few minutes on the phone. Just ask tech support to move you to the maximum profile.

Most likely its just a wrong profile so, or its botched. Call Sky, chances are they'll have you sorted out within a few minutes on the phone. Just ask tech support to move you to the maximum profile.

Grand, will do that now and let you know.

Rang them, I'm still on ADSL as the Fibre service doesn't kick in til this coming week. No hassle, will report back with another speed test after it kicks in :) Hoping for at least more than 70mbps considering my line can go to 100mbps. Fingers crossed anyway as I'm delighted with the €49 deal otherwise :)

Techmaster wrote: »
    Rang them, I'm still on ADSL as the Fibre service doesn't kick in til this coming week. No hassle, will report back with another speed test after it kicks in :) Hoping for at least more than 70mbps considering my line can go to 100mbps. Fingers crossed anyway as I'm delighted with the €49 deal otherwise :)

Sky tell everyone their line can do 100 meg. How far are you from your cabinet?

Sky tell everyone their line can do 100 meg. How far are you from your cabinet?

No he can, see the prequal result he posted.

He actually isnt on ADSL, but the order hasnt completed yet so sky thinks he is.

He actually isnt on ADSL, but the order hasnt completed yet so sky thinks he is.

Aren't all fibre cabs on 100 meg. Maybe it's just me but I have absolutely no faith in sky's BB service at all. They told a work colleagues brother he was on a brilliant line easily get 100 meg when in fact he's in a house that was built in the 60's and is a direct to the exchange line. You need to bring a flask and sandwiches with you if you wanted to trace the convoluted route his pair take back to the exchange!!!! Needless to remark it wasn't a happy union with sky eventually letting him free after 6 months.

• Advertisement

As above, please READ.

This is based on a result from the Digiweb checker which is a direct copy of the eir database. If it shows 100Mb for a line then the MTAU in the DSLAM thinks its a really short loop.

As above, please READ.

This is based on a result from the Digiweb checker which is a direct copy of the eir database. If it shows 100Mb for a line then the MTAU in the DSLAM thinks its a really short loop.

I can read, no need to get so smart about it. We'll see what sky do for him in the coming week, sfa I'd imagine if they can't tell the difference between DSL and fibre and tell him lies as well. That digiweb checker told me I could get 100 meg and that was before vectoring was enabled on my cab.

Speed test from Virgin's supposed 360Mb:

5105786740.png

While not slow, it's way below what I should be getting and every night it's the same. A speed test around 11am gives me 370 down, 37 up so it's obviously congestion.

Doesn't matter now anyway because I've given my cancellation notice, all the dodgy routing was the final straw for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Karsini wrote: »

5105786740.png

While not slow, it's way below what I should be getting and every night it's the same. A speed test around 11am gives me 370 down, 37 up so it's obviously congestion.

Doesn't matter now anyway because I've given my cancellation notice, all the dodgy routing was the final straw for me.
    Hi is that wired or wireless speedtest

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi is that wired or wireless speedtest
    Wired to a desktop PC with Cat6 cable.

5105786740.png

Who do you plan to switch to?

Will let you know tomorrow night/Wed. morning what my speed is after the Fibre kicks in.

5105786740.png

Unless you can get FTTH you're not going to do any better. Would you rather be giving your money to Eir or Vodafone?

Mine can be a little variable, bur never drops to those speeds. At least the upload remains consistent. Have you asked them what he story is?

Switched to VF on Friday, very happy with this, 5106961935.png

• Advertisement

I went to Eir yesterday. I don't really care about raw speed, I'd much rather a stable 50 meg connection over an unstable 360. Plus with Virgin's dodgy routing as of late, it might feel quicker despite the max throughput being lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

5113077889.png

Speed up from 23Mb/s :)

Not even getting a quarter of my rated speed now:

5114636131.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Hi, hoping someone can provide some advice.

I moved from eir(com) to sky this week and my download speed has dropped from c. 3Mb to 0.8Mb over wifi in same room as router. I thought sky ran off the same eircom line and I would get similar speeds.

When I run a check on my number through digiweb I get:

Exchange code: Unknown
    DSL enabled : yes 0mb
    NGB enabled: no
    Fibre enabled: yes 100mb
    LLU enable: no

1. Why does it say DSL is 0mb? Is there anything I can do to improve?

I've been calling Eir for the past year for fibre but they kept saying "sorry not available yet" but recently one of the agents said that all the points in the cabinet were taken and I would have to wait until someone cancelled before I could get one which could be never!

2. Is this true?

3. How can I get fibre quicker, I know there's a cabinet less than 400m from my house.

Thanks in advance

Hi, hoping someone can provide some advice.

I moved from eir(com) to sky this week and my download speed has dropped from c. 3Mb to 0.8Mb over wifi in same room as router. I thought sky ran off the same eircom line and I would get similar speeds.

When I run a check on my number through digiweb I get:

Exchange code: Unknown
    DSL enabled : yes 0mb
    NGB enabled: no
    Fibre enabled: yes 100mb
    LLU enable: no

I've been calling Eir for the past year for fibre but they kept saying "sorry not available yet" but recently one of the agents said that all the points in the cabinet were taken and I would have to wait until someone cancelled before I could get one which could be never!

2. Is this true?

3. How can I get fibre quicker, I know there's a cabinet less than 400m from my house.

Thanks in advance
    Yes, what eir were saying to you can be true. I was one of the first to get eFibre on my cabinet in December 2013, my neighbour tried to get eFibre in August 2014 but had to wait until late October as the cabinet was full. Eircom put in extra connections which can be seen as an extra top on the cabinet. A standard cabinet has 128 connections available.

Are you connected to the cabinet 400m away?
    Maybe getting a new number that's connected to that cabinet might be an option, although as has been said on various threads here, that isn't a guarantee either. Very frustrating especially when sky gave you empty promises.

• Advertisement

I'm in a new house and believe I was connected to the cabinet when we moved in. It's frustrating but Sky never actually promised me fibre but I thought I would get at least the 3mb I was getting with Eir. Eir on the other hand did promise "it was coming" originally

Yes, what eir were saying to you can be true. I was one of the first to get eFibre on my cabinet in December 2013, my neighbour tried to get eFibre in August 2014 but had to wait until late October as the cabinet was full. Eircom put in extra connections which can be seen as an extra top on the cabinet. A standard cabinet has 128 connections available.

Are you connected to the cabinet 400m away?
    Maybe getting a new number that's connected to that cabinet might be an option, although as has been said on various threads here, that isn't a guarantee either. Very frustrating especially when sky gave you empty promises.

Its 192 ports per MSAN, IIRC. A copper cab can have 400 pairs though.

Adding a line won't help as the prequal value is good for VDSL.
    2. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance

That 0Mb is likely an amber test, meaning "can't tell if it will work or not".

Eir would have had you set to 3Mb but in transferring the line the provisioning system looks up the value and sets that, the fallback profile being 1Mb_128kb which is what you're seeing (0.8Mb after overhead). Call sky, they hopefully should be able to raise it back to 3Mb for you unless its subject to eirs new rules that speed !> rating, then it'll be locked to 1Mb.

Regarding getting fibre, just gotta wait and keep calling, watch for neighbours selling their house or new tenants moving in. If its regular 192 port cab and there are 210 homes in range then they won't bother adding another service unit to expand it, but if there were 300 homes that would order then they will probably do so soon enough.

Thanks Ed E (and jca)

I will call sky tomorrow, it only went live yesterday so I just wanted to have some ammo to fire at them before I call.

I'd say the original estate has about 200 houses, and I just bought one of the first 20 new houses. The next phase has already sold its 20 odd houses and there are plans for over 100 more so hopefully someone will put an extra cabinet in.

Do I keep hounding Eir even though I moved to sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Connection on my PS4 went crazy (it's on WiFi but 100% connection) so did a test. It shows up - download 2.3Mbps and upload 233.6 kbps.

5115066271.png
    This is for my PC.

I live in a rural area and we have 24Mb broadband with Vodafone. There was 2 other people browsing the internet while I did the test. Is there any reason why the upload speed is poor? Why is the PS4 showing up so differently than the PC? There's times when it just drops completely. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Ed E (and jca)

I will call sky tomorrow, it only went live yesterday so I just wanted to have some ammo to fire at them before I call.

I'd say the original estate has about 200 houses, and I just bought one of the first 20 new houses. The next phase has already sold its 20 odd houses and there are plans for over 100 more so hopefully someone will put an extra cabinet in.

Do I keep hounding Eir even though I moved to sky?

Nope, you follow the chain, you hound sky, sky hound openEir CS, they hound the real eir personnel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement