Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, you follow the chain, you hound sky, sky hound openEir CS, they hound the real eir personnel.
    Yeah, this was partly why I chose Eir over Vodafone, one less link in the chain if there's a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah, this was partly why I chose Eir over Vodafone, one less link in the chain if there's a problem.

Thats not true though. Eir retail staff still have to phone the same helpdesk in OpenEir. You've the same escalation path no matter who you purchase from.

Thats not true though. Eir retail staff still have to phone the same helpdesk in OpenEir. You've the same escalation path no matter who you purchase from.

Is that only a recent thing? I had desperate trouble on a BT line back in 2008 and I was pretty much told that if I were with Eircom the issue would have been resolved quicker.

Is that only a recent thing? I had desperate trouble on a BT line back in 2008 and I was pretty much told that if I were with Eircom the issue would have been resolved quicker.

Yeah, they copied OpenReach and properly separated when NGA started, what, 5yrs back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

Which ISP has the fastest PING according to Speed Test?

I was in my sisters house in Ballina, Mayo a few months ago and the PING was 1ms (eir VDSL2, OOKLA speedtest).

I have to say pages loaded lighting fast. I was very impressed.

user1842 wrote: »
    Which ISP has the fastest PING according to Speed Test?

I was in my sisters house in Ballina, Mayo a few months ago and the PING was 1ms (eir VDSL2, OOKLA speedtest).

I have to say pages loaded lighting fast. I was very impressed.

A ping in a speedtest just measures how close you are to an ookla server, doesn't really have any meaning unless its excessively long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

A ping in a speedtest just measures how close you are to an ookla server, doesn't really have any meaning unless its excessively long.

Yes and if you are in Dublin and the server is in Dublin I would expect your ping to always be around 1ms.

Why are most pings around 20ms?

The OOKLA speedtest server my sister connected to was in Sligo, 60km away and a 1ms ping. In Dublin I assume the OOKLA speedtest server is around 10km away and yet pings are above 10ms. I dont understand this.

Within ireland its more about what you go through than how far you're going.

ADSL: ATM network adds 20-30ms usually, or more.

VDSL: Usually about 10ms up, probably part from access network and part from core/edge.

DOCSIS(VM): In my experience the slowest part is their provided router, using a decent router I hit RTE in 7ms.

Straight P2P fibre: Try a wired connection in any of the universities in dublin, you can hit anything in the city in 2ms or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

5116216340.png

Not bad speed for my area,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The other operators (ALTO )are still in dispute with openEir, saying that they still favour their own retail arm. Dispute procedure on-going with Comreg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98421315

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/telcos-demand-faster-reform-as-battle-with-eir-escalates-34390942.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/comreg-to-meet-telcos-amid-row-over-fault-repair-times-1.2538728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Nope, you follow the chain, you hound sky, sky hound openEir CS, they hound the real eir personnel.

Just a short update. Rang sky and they were incredibly helpful. 70mb Fibre is available and have booked to install in a couple weeks. AMAZING! Sky solved in 5mins something Eir couldn't be arsed with for almost a year. Or I got lucky :)

Thanks Ed E for advice. I've only been on the forum for a week and I can see you're very helpful to all that come here. Fair play to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just wanted to chime back in.

Sky got an engineer to call out to fix my line, as I was still on ADSL rather than Fibre apparently. Engineer came today (very impressed with that as I wasn't expecting a weekend call!) after calling them only a day or two ago to complain.

Here is the Speedtest I did just now, wired to my laptop, with my 100MB Fibre package;

5122173464.png

Wireless, tested on my laptop also:

5122186785.png

Sky also gave me €30 off this months bill for the inconvenience of having to wait a few days to get it up and running fully (I'm on the €49 bundle TV,Phone,BB so this discount is quite large).

Thank you Sky and also everyone here for their help a few days ago (ED E especially - full of knowledge!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Funny how the laptop wireless got the 1ms less ping

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Funny how the laptop wireless got the 1ms less ping

Yes! :P Strange, but I suppose its just how its measured at that very second. Differs between 1-2ms if I were to test it a few more times I'd say.

It's also worth adding, the signal strength from the Sky hub router is MUCH better than the rubbish one Virgin supplied. Good riddance to Virgin.

Still, delighted with the speeds and Sky were excellent to deal with. :)

I would get a nose bleed if we had speeds that fast down here in Kerry :D

Ye'll get there eventually I'm sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You can get 100mb download in Kerry with Eir/Vodafone & probably Sky.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You can get 100mb download in Kerry with Eir/Vodafone & probably Sky.

Ya probably in Tralee and Killarney

My poor friend in Fenit has pings over 100 a lot of the time on CSGO. I feel your pain :p

• Advertisement

My poor friend in Fenit has pings over 100 a lot of the time on CSGO. I feel your pain :p

Im with Kerry Broadband,they are based in Fenit

5122284128.png

Listowel too. My brother gets 70 on Vodafone, seems his cab isn't vectored yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Techmaster wrote: »
    Just wanted to chime back in.

Sky got an engineer to call out to fix my line, as I was still on ADSL rather than Fibre apparently. Engineer came today (very impressed with that as I wasn't expecting a weekend call!) after calling them only a day or two ago to complain.

Here is the Speedtest I did just now, wired to my laptop, with my 100MB Fibre package;

5122173464.png

Wireless, tested on my laptop also:

5122186785.png

Sky also gave me €30 off this months bill for the inconvenience of having to wait a few days to get it up and running fully (I'm on the €49 bundle TV,Phone,BB so this discount is quite large).

Thank you Sky and also everyone here for their help a few days ago (ED E especially - full of knowledge!) :D

Had sky given me that service I'd still be with them for BB. Strange how one customer gets the royal treatment and another is effectively given the two fingers...

Im with Kerry Broadband,they are based in Fenit

5122284128.png

Yeah same company as him, it gets awfully congested in the evening. Hence the high pings then.

Yeah same company as him, it gets awfully congested in the evening. Hence the high pings then.

Ya ive noticed that as well,the speeds drop down to 3 or 4 mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

Listowel too. My brother gets 70 on Vodafone, seems his cab isn't vectored yet.
    Ya im from listowel too and we are capped to 70mb/s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Seen this Speedtest.net result on Facebook. I was surprised by how disproportionate the upload speed is.

4983763032.png

The packages are here:

http://www.upc.hu/internet/internet-ajanlatok/24-honapos-szerzodessel/

Why is the upload only 22Mb? UPC's upload is usually about 10% of the download. UPC/Virgin have slower downloads speeds here but higher uploads:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/360-mb-mobile-world.html

Just a short update. Rang sky and they were incredibly helpful. 70mb Fibre is available and have booked to install in a couple weeks. AMAZING! Sky solved in 5mins something Eir couldn't be arsed with for almost a year. Or I got lucky :)

Thanks Ed E for advice. I've only been on the forum for a week and I can see you're very helpful to all that come here. Fair play to ya.
    Update, I'm back at square one. I was too quick to credit sky.

Engineer came today to "install" fibre and I'm getting a measly 0.9mbs

His advice was to ring eircom!
    FFS

Switched to Eir yesterday. One thing I've noticed is consistency, no slowdowns during peak hours:
    5154229163.png

Can't ask for anything more than that really. :) Plus I'm getting proper dual stack IPv6 and not the DS-Lite rubbish that Virgin are doing.

Update, I'm back at square one. I was too quick to credit sky.

Engineer came today to "install" fibre and I'm getting a measly 0.9mbs

His advice was to ring eircom!
    FFS

Did he move your line at the cabinet on to the fibre network? It certainly seems strange to me that no ports were available according to eir and yet sky were supposed to magically be able to find you a port.

jca wrote: »
    Did he move your line at the cabinet on to the fibre network? It certainly seems strange to me that no ports were available according to eir and yet sky were supposed to magically be able to find you a port.

Yeh that was my fear. All he did was change the eircom plate on the wall to a sky one and hook up. He said I would need to wait four hours for it to come up to speed and if it didn't I should ring eircom to fix. I couldn't be bothered arguing with up but will take it up dky tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yeh that was my fear. All he did was change the eircom plate on the wall to a sky one and hook up. He said I would need to wait four hours for it to come up to speed and if it didn't I should ring eircom to fix. I couldn't be bothered arguing with up but will take it up dky tomorrow.
    That's mad. I can't see why he's telling you to phone Eir, you're not a customer of theirs so they won't do a thing for you. Open Eir wouldn't help you either as they only deal with the providers.

That's mad. I can't see why he's telling you to phone Eir, you're not a customer of theirs so they won't do a thing for you. Open Eir wouldn't help you either as they only deal with the providers.

Yeh, he was a dope. I said the same to him and he said it would be quicker to ring eircom as sky just rent the lines off them. I actually just kicked him out for his stupidity.

It can take up to three days for KNN to come out and do the jumpering job, its part of skys BS two part install.

As above you can call sky but they won't know much until KNN complete it.

It can take up to three days for KNN to come out and do the jumpering job, its part of skys BS two part install.

As above you can call sky but they won't know much until KNN complete it.

Do Knn call to the house again or is it done at the cabinet? How can they find his pair without putting the generator thingy on the line at the house?

Update: called and very helpful on phone. ED_E you're right, it due for activation on 11th. Why the engineer couldn't tell me this I don't know. Let's see on Saturday!

Do Knn call to the house again or is it done at the cabinet? How can they find his pair without putting the generator thingy on the line at the house?

Just at the cab, not paid to do anything else. They should be able to locate it via the cable records, tone generator is only required if they have trouble. But if they do, then the whole thing is messed up and probably gets bounced a few times between both contractors.
    Update: called and very helpful on phone. ED_E you're right, it due for activation on 11th. Why the engineer couldn't tell me this I don't know. Let's see on Saturday!

He's working for Sierra and it doesn't mean didly squat to him. Though he should know to advise you that the speed will jump in a few days time.

Getting nervous. No change in speed but it does say "by evening of"

Finally getting fibre speed (47mbs)

Fair play to sky, the did deliver what they said in the end. What a difference 12hrs makes:-)

Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Fair play to sky, the did deliver what they said in the end. What a difference 12hrs makes:-)

Nice upload & ping :)

Good stuff, fingers crossed it stays good. I hit the 66 down today with VF, 8 m/s ping. Fttc is great. You don't realise how good it is until you have to do something on a stone age connection and you're so glad to be back home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Comcast xfinity here in the USA 75Mb/s package but it's actually always faster.
    1581653921.png

jay93 wrote: »
    Comcast xfinity here in the USA 75Mb/s package but it's actually always faster.
    1581653921.png

Only because Google Fiber threatened to enter the area.

Only because Google Fiber threatened to enter the area.

Nothing like a bit of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Only wish that Google fibre would be available in Detroit, Comcast are horrible to deal with we have been having issues with it cutting out completely and randomly. Had a tech out he takes a look at the lights on the modem and because it was working while he was here he just said there's nothing he would do and he just left lol :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭[Steve]

Upgraded to VM 360Mb for €60 p/m - Fairly happy with the results.

Before (240Mb):
    5189347433.png

After:
    Ethernet connection:
    5195020842.png

WiFi:
    1591536434.png

Better than expected.

Just a random post but I was very impressed with the speed of Premier Inn's new 'hub by Premier Inn' hotels wifi over in the UK.

See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

SIRO / Vodafone Lightspeed 350 installed today. Some speedtests attached

Finally somebody with SIRO :)

Mgit wrote: »
    SIRO / Vodafone Lightspeed 350 installed today. Some speedtests attached

What plan are you on? I thought it was supposed to the same speed in both directions. The pings are higher than mine which is surprising.

• Advertisement

What plan are you on? I thought it was supposed to the same speed in both directions. The pings are higher than mine which is surprising.

Its Asymmetric. They demo'd symmetric in some shopping center but were never going to deply that, kinda scummy but on par for the ISP game.

Advertisement