Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

ED E wrote: »

Its Asymmetric. They demo'd symmetric in some shopping center but were never going to deply that, kinda scummy but on par for the ISP game.

When did that happen? I was always under the impression that they were promising to offer the symmetrical speeds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    When did that happen? I was always under the impression that they were promising to offer the symmetrical speeds....

When SIRO launched several users asked and they confirmed GPON.

https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/598075781877735424

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

bloodyhawk wrote: »

So was I and I was suprised when installer showed me the speediest today. He said it's 20% of download speed. He said during trial it was asymmetric. I agree that it's misleading as the Vodafone site doesn't specify an upload speed. I must ring them about it to double check my plan is setup right and that installer didn't make a mistake. Siro have vids on youtube demoing symmetric speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Mgit wrote: »
    So was I and I was suprised when installer showed me the speediest today. He said it's 20% of download speed. He said during trial it was asymmetric. I agree that it's misleading as the Vodafone site doesn't specify an upload speed. I must ring them about it to double check my plan is setup right and that installer didn't make a mistake. Siro have vids on youtube demoing symmetric speeds.

Exactly... Their information is a little bit vague if i say so myself. It is little bit disheartening but nothing we can't get over!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Anyone here using Imagine LTE broadband? What kind of speeds are you getting with it?

Been hearing ads about it on the radio that they are going rolling it out in Kerry to sort out the broadband black spots

• Advertisement

Anyone here using Imagine LTE broadband? What kind of speeds are you getting with it?

Been hearing ads about it on the radio that they are going rolling it out in Kerry to sort out the broadband black spots

It has its own thread, have a read.

so i tweeted siro last night to ask were speeds supposed to be symmetric and they never replied and deleted my tweet.

EDIT ## this is not correct actually, was my lack of experience with twitter, tweet is still there.

so i tweeted siro last night to ask were speeds supposed to be symmetric and they never replied and deleted my tweet.

I was under the impression it wasnt possible for them to delete tweets they didnt send.

EDIT:
    "Sligmagy ‏@sligomagy 14h14 hours ago
    @SIROIreland is the broadband speed supposed to be symmetric or asymmetric? Had it installed recently n upload is about 1 fifth of Download "

ED E wrote: »
    I was under the impression it wasnt possible for them to delete tweets they didnt send.

EDIT:
    "Sligmagy ‏@sligomagy 14h14 hours ago
    @SIROIreland is the broadband speed supposed to be symmetric or asymmetric? Had it installed recently n upload is about 1 fifth of Download "

Ah ok I take that back then, I don't use twitter often but looked today and couldn't find the tweet. Didn't realise they couldn't be deleted.
    To be fair strictly speaking I should have directed that question at vodafone at they are the retail agent and siro is wholesale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Hi, just got Eir eFibre installed yesterday and this is my speed, is it decent?

In the Kanturk town. Using the Eir f2000 modem. It has 2.4g and 5g, what is the difference between them?

88FCADC7-F828-47CA-B3E0-D17BE3DC5F9C_zpsltwlc6y2.png

Thanks

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

In the Kanturk town. Using the Eir f2000 modem. It has 2.4g and 5g, what is the difference between them?

88FCADC7-F828-47CA-B3E0-D17BE3DC5F9C_zpsltwlc6y2.png

Thanks

B

No real expert but 5g will be faster if your phone etc will support it, it doesn't go through walls etc as good as the 2.4g though. To get a proper speed test connect directly to the f2000 with an ethernet cable to your laptop/pc.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Looks like 30_8 Mb spot on, so wireless wont make a huge difference. Testing with a cable will confirm. Its on the lower end of VDSL, but not terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

5278252050.png

Results seem fine, but why so laggy and playing vids near impossible, especially since receiving a phone call from Vodafone and declining their Vodafone TV offer.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just moved broadband supplier over here in Korea.
    I was paying about 35 euro for a 50mb connection(SKT)...they said it was meant to be 100.

Moved to KT today. Paying 40 euro for TV and Broadband now....but it's slightly better :)

5279367631.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I was paying about 35 euro for a 50mb connection(SKT)...they said it was meant to be 100.

Moved to KT today. Paying 40 euro for TV and Broadband now....but it's slightly better :)

5279367631.png

So jealous! :D that's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SeantheMan wrote: »

5279367631.png

Sweet Jesus :D

kleefarr wrote: »
    5278252050.png

Results seem fine, but why so laggy and playing vids near impossible, especially since receiving a phone call from Vodafone and declining their Vodafone TV offer.

:mad:

That was with my TP-Link VR900

This with the vodafone modem

5280618570.png

Figure I'll need to use their own and see if same problems occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This is the mobile phone internet service from SKT here(I think it's 5G) (not my home wifit)- using mobile Speedtest

1897876405.png

Its 4G or 4G+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭edgari0kas

can't even complete the speed test tbh here in Castleblayney , Oram this is happening

0.01 mb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

4G+ Galway around 2:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

Thanks

B

I'm sure you could call eir support and get them to check if it can support anymore

I recently upgraded and got 30mb down and 8mb up then get increased to 40mb down and 9mb up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

How do people get the speedtest result to show up like that from the app? Like where it says the device underneath and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Getting upgraded to fibre tomorrow, will post results. Here's what I got at the moment, looking forward to the increased upload.

5323596464.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

5324442142.png

The ping time is freakin insane :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

5324442142.png

The ping time is freakin insane :D

very nice, your ping time on adsl2+ was good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

100mb connection so can't complain.

5332367254.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Eir DSL, billed as 17M, co. Limerick.

5355768550.png

I am mainly posting this for later comparison. I have ordered upgrade to eFibre; the line is eligible for "up to 30M", but I did not get eFibre installed yet. I'll post a new one with eFibre when (I hope) I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

A slight improvement since the last time I posted a speedtest:

5370132750.png

It used to be about 1mbps download. The slight improvement is no thanks to the ISPs though but rather unplugging one of the sky boxes from the telephone line.

No sign of a magical cabinet Eir keeps promising us in their cold calls that at this rate once every month or two. An exchange near us though suddenly jumped from a one year completion to live now over the next few weeks. We've been bumped down from Winter/Spring to Summer and now to Autumn. Another exchange down as "within 1 year" also now expected to have a live cabinet in July.... A ****ing joke I know but that's Eir for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Imagine LTE rural broadband - nice change from 5 - 6 Mbps average with Ripplecom. Been connected for about 3 months now, performance holding up well.
    5370195259.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

morgana wrote: »
    Imagine LTE rural broadband - nice change from 5 - 6 Mbps average with Ripplecom. Been connected for about 3 months now, performance holding up well.
    5370195259.png

How much is that per month? Any setup charges etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

A slight improvement since the last time I posted a speedtest:

5370132750.png

It used to be about 1mbps download. The slight improvement is no thanks to the ISPs though but rather unplugging one of the sky boxes from the telephone line.

No sign of a magical cabinet Eir keeps promising us in their cold calls that at this rate once every month or two. An exchange near us though suddenly jumped from a one year completion to live now over the next few weeks. We've been bumped down from Winter/Spring to Summer and now to Autumn. Another exchange down as "within 1 year" also now expected to have a live cabinet in July.... A ****ing joke I know but that's Eir for you.

I would not go by any of their maps. My area was to be upgraded Summer/Autumn yet it arrived end of May.

Woman working for Eir said 1.6 million homes an extra 200,000 will go online by the end of June. Was your area included in those 1.6 million homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I would not go by any of their maps. My area was to be upgraded Summer/Autumn yet it arrived end of May.

Woman working for Eir said 1.6 million homes an extra 200,000 will go online by the end of June. Was your area included in those 1.6 million homes?

To be honest there's been not a sign of any Eir van at all where the cabinet is supposed to be in the village so I really doubt we'll have anything by the end of the month. The most action we had was KN were digging some holes and laying some cable but that was about three months back. The actual exchange is in another village slightly bigger than ours and even there I don't think there has been any action. The local Eir vans seem more concerned about a cabinet in the village after us down as finished within 12 months (can see where this is going...).

The exchange was included in the before end of 2016 list but at this rate I have my doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

To be honest there's been not a sign of any Eir van at all where the cabinet is supposed to be in the village so I really doubt we'll have anything by the end of the month. The most action we had was KN were digging some holes and laying some cable but that was about three months back. The actual exchange is in another village slightly bigger than ours and even there I don't think there has been any action. The local Eir vans seem more concerned about a cabinet in the village after us down as finished within 12 months (can see where this is going...).

Where you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

60 euro/month incl. Unlimited phone and 150 setup and install. They won't install if speed is below 30 Mbps. 18 month contract. 20 gig daily allowance. Check their website for coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Eir is just after installing my shiny new eFibre, aka VDSL2.

5370936382.png

They said call back in a couple of days and they might upgrade it a bit. Or not. But at least this speed should hopefully be here to stay.

What I had before the eFibre, on ADSL2, is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99844689&postcount=2280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

MichaelR wrote: »
    Eir is just after installing my shiny new eFibre, aka VDSL2.

5370936382.png

They said call back in a couple of days and they might upgrade it a bit. Or not. But at least this speed should hopefully be here to stay.

What I had before the eFibre, on ADSL2, is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99844689&postcount=2280

Thats a nice increase, double the download and ten times the upload:)
    A friend of mine went from a patchy scratchy 3meg to 30 meg, he still can't get over the difference. I went from a nice rock solid 8 meg to almost 70, brilliant for de aul torrentz...:rolleyes:

5374600591.png

146425583.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1978541635

Using my current provider three

• Advertisement

Well last day down in Kerry for the weekend and before for a few years always had a steady 2.8mb/s now getting...

5381488503.png

My conclusion is Vodafone have over extended themselves and cannot handle the speed that customers are expecting. All in all they are shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Having reverted to vodafone in anticipation of FTTH, following is for posterity, I hope!!!

===================================================

Eir Line Status 14.50 08/04/16

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 26 days: 17 hours: 3 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.238 Mbps 92.155 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.239 Mbps 92.156 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 10.1 dB 14.4 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: -14.1 dBm 12.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.9 dBm -1.5 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 10.8 dB 14.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 22.473 Mbps 117.412 Mbps

Vodafone Line Status at 10.56am 06/05/16

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 102396
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20478
    Downstream SNR (dB) 12.6
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 8.3
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 2.3
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.4
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -13.7
    Downstream CRC 4
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 7926217
    Upstream FEC 7185305

5382499075.png

146620727.png

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1982757265

5390117114.png

146786508.png

Why do you keep posting tests when you know its malfunctioning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

My VM had some rough times back in the day,, but over the last 4 months or so,, things have been rock solid..

5481637164.png

Have not been over doing it on the download side, have been a good boy,,mostly..

gFoyBm4l.jpg

Lets see what they do when SIRO rolls into Portlaoise ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Jeeze, I used over 1TB on a 40mb line last month :pac:

Data downloaded:
    1,069.74 GB
    Data uploaded:
    34.71 GB
    Total data used:
    1,104.45 GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Jeeze, I used over 1TB on a 40mb line last month :pac:

Data downloaded:
    1,069.74 GB
    Data uploaded:
    34.71 GB
    Total data used:
    1,104.45 GB

Don't get me wrong, there was a time we would hit 800GB month in month out.

It's just that it's summer time and all the shows I like are on a mid term break.
    It's 1080p all the way in this house, 720p MKV files are for suckers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

My VM upgrade.

5596630647.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

We moved house recently. From a town to a village. Fibre optic back to good 'aul fashioned DSL. :(

5685700018.png

That speed is with ethernet cable. Max speed is 12mb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement