Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »
    about 5 months ago I moved from Eir bill Pay to Three Pay as you go to save money. However the move to Three itself was a huge mistake. Had really bad speeds and barely any phone signal. I was going to move back to Eir pay as you go but then along came their new GoMo 10 euros per month mobile plan, so I signed up.

My final speedtest this morning on Three Pay As You Go.
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5435823507

Inserted the GoMo sim card and this is what I get.
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5435855552

I'm much happier, apart from the fact that it's half the price.

There is limited data with Gomo (80GBs?), from what I read, but the phone deal is v. good and coverage much better than 3 or vodafone in this area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is limited data with Gomo (80GBs?), from what I read, but the phone deal is v. good and coverage much better than 3 or vodafone in this area.

it's 80 gigs per month. Three's all you can eat data is 60 gigs per month. Three works great in urban areas but once you see the green fields their service is awful.

it's 80 gigs per month. Three's all you can eat data is 60 gigs per month. Three works great in urban areas but once you see the green fields their service is awful.

Yeah, I got lots of green around me :D

I was not aware of a 60GB limit on 3's AYCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah, I got lots of green around me :D

I was not aware of a 60GB limit on 3's AYCE.

Did you not see the adverts on TV where they explain unlimited with them means unlimited unlike other providers.

But then have the 60 FUP in the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three dont enforce the 60GB. Gomo will bill you after 80.

tuxy wrote: »
    Did you not see the adverts on TV where they explain unlimited with them means unlimited unlike other providers.

But then have the 60 FUP in the contract.

No :D

I do not pay any attention to adverts .... I seem to have an auto switch of during their airing, unless some very unusual ad is shown. Presently I cannot even think of one recent one. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ED E wrote: »

I'll be lucky to get through even 20GB of that 80gb limit as I use the wifi at home most of the time and in friends houses. Only time I really need GoMo's data is on the bus or in places without wifi. I rarely ever make texts or calls, mostly use What's App or messenger, thats why paying only 10 euros a month is a really good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

They say they just slow you down, once you go over 80;

"The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the SIM Only Service is 80GB. Should your data usage exceed 80GB in a billing cycle and we consider that other users are likely to be adversely affected; we reserve the right to limit the data service. We continuously monitor network performance to ensure that the SIM Only Service received by you is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Wish every day would be Saturday morning. For multiple reasons

498133.JPG498134.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Anyone else's Vodafone Wireless Broadband download speed gone to hell over the last few weeks during the evenings?
    Speed test at 9:30pm tonight 0.80 D/L
    Was out last night and when I came in at 12:30 am thought I'd do a speed test and it was 40 mb/s!!!!
    Surely something can be done...0.80mb/s D/L is unusable
    Obviously it's going to drop in the evenings with demand but from 40 to 0.80?..a joke
    Anyone suggest what I can do?
    Changing supplier not an option as Vodafone is the only one we can get signal from
    4G mast 2 km away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Speed test every day since Dec 28th on Vodafone 100mb package using Samknows white box

501163.png

Last 6 months of tests, up until 18th November I was on Sky upto 100mb

501164.png

Jump in speed mid November?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Steve F wrote: »
    Jump in speed mid November?

Explained above, I moved from sky to Vodafone

Cabaal wrote: »
    Explained above, I moved from sky to Vodafone

Great speeds
    Mine dropped to 0.80 last night again :mad:

Great speeds

That's mobile data for you many masts have far too many connected.

Are you too rural to get reasonable VDSL speeds?

Not very techie so I dunno about VDSL Ha ha
    Here's my Eircode A91 A008 I don't mind you seeing where my house is if you want
    Annoyingly fibre runs past my house but they only connected the first few house off the main R178
    The GAA ground adjacent to our house is supposed to be getting a Broadband Connection Point (BCP) by the end of this year??

Great speeds

To be fair to sky I use to get 90MB on avg for a few years, but I then experienced drops for about 6 weeks so they dropped the profile down.

They refused to up the profile again at a later date to see if the issue was fixed as I had also got a replacement router from them as part of the troubleshooting.

I only moved to Vodafone to cut costs,

Not very techie so I dunno about VDSL Ha ha
    Here's my Eircode A91 A008 I don't mind you seeing where my house is if you want
    Annoyingly fibre runs past my house but they only connected the first few house off the main R178
    The GAA ground adjacent to our house is supposed to be getting a Broadband Connection Point (BCP) by the end of this year??

VDSL is just broadband over copper phone lines. It's fast if you are within 800 metres of a cabinet or exchange but I see you are way out.

I can also see that you are in no mans land between 2 fibre to the home deployments. Very unlucky :( I doubt Eir will extend that for a few years.
    They are now totally focused on urban deployment of fibre.

The national broadband plan may be your only hope, if they ever complete it.

Yes Tuxy extremely unlucky....the fibre connections stop less than 2 km from my address tho the fibre does run past my home I watched them putting it in
    How is the BCP'S supposed to work as the GAA club across from me is supposed to be getting a connection point in before year end(?)

• Advertisement

Yes Tuxy extremely unlucky....the fibre connections stop less than 2 km from my address tho the fibre does run past my home I watched them putting it in
    How is the BCP'S supposed to work as the GAA club across from me is supposed to be getting a connection point in before year end(?)

There's a house with FTTH south of where you are, looks closer than 2KM

You can check here https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

As I understand it each fibre run supports 32 homes. They started each line from the exchange and ran them out rural roads. The closest 32 outside each town got connected.
    They were only after low hanging fruit and were also trying to make the National Broadband Plan contract as unattractive as possible.
    They didn't care about the gaps in the middle, it was possibly part of their plan. Those gaps are expensive for another company to reach especially when not connecting to the cluster of houses near the town.

Is it Open Eir that are providing fibre to the GGA club? You would think they would have done that while working in the area.

tuxy wrote: »
    There's a house with FTTH south of where you are, looks closer than 2KM

You can check here https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

As I understand it each fibre run supports 32 homes. They started each line from the exchange and ran them out rural roads. The closest 32 outside each town got connected.
    They were only after low hanging fruit and were also trying to make the National Broadband Plan contract as unattractive as possible.
    They didn't care about the gaps in the middle it was possibly part of their plan. Those gaps are expensive to reach especially when you are not connecting to the cluster of houses near the town.

Is it Open Eir that are providing fibre to the GGA club? You would think they would have done that while working in the area.

Looks like I'm stuck with ****é evening speeds for years to come

NBI are supposed to be providing the GAA club with the BCP....do we just wander over there and plug in whenever we want to? Ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Three Mobile Broadband very poor connectivity and service.
    If you don't want to be tearing your hair out every evening from lack of service, stay away from Three Mobile as its more often 27k than 27Mb. Also the CS is complete shambles also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/fd55b408-64ac-4bfc-94c6-dff7a05b1814

360 meg with VM, wireless connection on the laptop.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/fd55b408-64ac-4bfc-94c6-dff7a05b1814

360 meg with VM, wireless connection on the laptop.

You in Carlow?
    I can only dream of those speeds
    last night 0.60mb/s down and around 12mb/s up
    Unusable and I'm paying €45 a month for that junk
    As I said I'm 2km from the 4G Mast and the modem is in the window on that side of the house...I'm doomed...never used to be this bad in the evenings
    I see your test was well into the high demand time frame people always mention
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You in Carlow?
    I can only dream of those speeds
    last night 0.60mb/s down and around 12mb/s up
    Unusable and I'm paying €45 a month for that junk
    As I said I'm 2km from the 4G Mast and the modem is in the window on that side of the house...I'm doomed...never used to be this bad in the evenings
    I see your test was well into the high demand time frame people always mention
    :mad:

I'm in Enniscorthy I've the virgin modem bridged and using a Tplink archer C8, it's pricey at €67.50 per month but rock solid day in day out. I've regularly gotten 370 on a wired connection, Sam knows reports my monthly average as 367.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm in Enniscorthy I've the virgin modem bridged and using a Tplink archer C8, it's pricey at €67.50 per month but rock solid day in day out. I've regularly gotten 370 on a wired connection, Sam knows reports my monthly average as 367.

The thing is the dogs in the street know why the speeds go to crap between 6:30 and 11pm but Vodafone either don't want to fix it,don't know how to fix it or don't care to fix it.
    Can't run a business on 0.60mb/s Download no matter how hard I try :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Holy Moly those are great speeds

I wondered last night am I being throttled between 7 and 11pm every evening:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Yeah really happy with it. upgraded from 38mb FTTC working perfectly with consoles etc.

Yeah really happy with it. upgraded from 38mb FTTC working perfectly with consoles etc.

Being completely honest here I wouldn't need anywhere near those speeds If I could just get a steady 10-15mbs download every evening it would be sufficient for my needs.However last night I had 0.50mbs download
    NBI says the GAA Club across the road from me is getting a Broadband Connection Point (BCP) by year end:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Being completely honest here I wouldn't need anywhere near those speeds If I could just get a steady 10-15mbs download every evening it would be sufficient for my needs.However last night I had 0.50mbs download
    NBI says the GAA Club across the road from me is getting a Broadband Connection Point (BCP) by year end:rolleyes:

3G is within that range and is less congested. Have you tried?

3G is within that range and is less congested. Have you tried?

Now why didn't I think of that??:confused:

I've been so focused on the awful 4G speed it never occurred to me to try that.
    I'll select 3G on the router this evening and try that
    I'll post back the results here for anyone else that might be having rural 4G speed issues.
    Just as an aside,can ISP not somehow compensate for the higher demand in the evenings and give their customers useable speeds when they are most needed? Or am I being too simplistic? :)

Now why didn't I think of that??:confused:

I've been so focused on the awful 4G speed it never occurred to me to try that.
    I'll select 3G on the router this evening and try that
    I'll post back the results here for anyone else that might be having rural 4G speed issues.
    Just as an aside,can ISP not somehow compensate for the higher demand in the evenings and give their customers useable speeds when they are most needed? Or am I being too simplistic? :)

The 4G spectrum is only so wide, when too many devices are connected and the whole spectrum is full there isn't anything they can do without adding more masts which is too expensive to be viable in many areas.
    That's the limitation of a wireless network, it's very different for wired when everyone has their own line.

Thanks Tuxy for the reply that's helped me understand the technically of it a little better

It appears that what you describe is exactly what I am up against

I did two Speed tests

8pm Sunday Evening 0.20MBS down

7:30am Monday Morning 50MBS down

Insane difference

"New" customers must have joined our mast recently as even though it used to drop in the evenings not to that extent maybe used to drop to between 8-15 MBS down

The rise of Netflix and Now TV huh?

Is there a minimum speed at which they have to supply before you can get refunds or cancel does anyone know?

Is there a minimum speed at which they have to supply before you can get refunds or cancel does anyone know?
    Due to connection nature its like fight windmills...

Did 3G give better results?

Did 3G give better results?

Oh yes forgot about that...switched modem to 3G only and it seemed to give a steadier reading approx 2MBS down and 1mbs up
    Hardly earth shattering but still.
    Not really worth €45 per month.
    Guess I will have to wait for fibre from the National Broadband plan whenever that will be...maybe make use of the BCP that will be going into the GAA Club across the road from me sometime this year :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Just got Eir FTTH up and running.

9177820932.png

allen175 wrote: »
    Just got Eir FTTH up and running.

9177820932.png

Wowie!!!
    And just in time for the lock down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Getting some really good 4g speeds with 3 in Cork City the last few days, has anyone else noticed?

150 Mbps down average and 60 Mbps up average.

10 times better than my ****ty Sky broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Getting some really good 4g speeds with 3 in Cork City the last few days, has anyone else noticed?

150 Mbps down average and 60 Mbps up average.

10 times better than my ****ty Sky broadband
    If I had 15 Mbps with a fixed line broadband I wouldn't come anywhere near 4G or wireless

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    If I had 15 Mbps with a fixed line broadband I wouldn't come anywhere near 4G or wireless

I don't get it?

15 is awful no? It's the best can get in our apartment block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't get it?

15 is awful no? It's the best can get in our apartment block

For a single person a consistent 15Mb is plenty for most things. A bit annoying to download an 80GB game but fine for HD streaming.

The point Ult was making 15Mb 24/7 is much better than 90Mb at 2AM and 1.5Mb at 10PM.

For a single person a consistent 15Mb is plenty for most things. A bit annoying to download an 80GB game but fine for HD streaming.

The point Ult was making 15Mb 24/7 is much better than 90Mb at 2AM and 1.5Mb at 10PM.

Agree with this 100% Nothing worse than having a great speed when you don't need it and the time you do need it it goes to pot:mad:

I see,
    Yeah the 4G speeds have been incredibly consistent thou as of last week, there must have been some changes made in Cork city at least. Pity the ping is poor......

A comparison of the results from two test sites

https://bonkers.speedtestcustom.com/result/2cc82c40-7416-11ea-acde-0fd0719c824f

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9219454920

Make up your own mind on which you would believe.

A comparison of the results from two test sites

https://bonkers.speedtestcustom.com/result/2cc82c40-7416-11ea-acde-0fd0719c824f

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9219454920

Make up your own mind on which you would believe.

I just tried the bonkers speedtest using an eir server and it's completely all over the place. The same server through speedtest.net is perfect.

I just tried the bonkers speedtest using an eir server and it's completely all over the place. The same server through speedtest.net is perfect.

Yeah, its just bonkers :D:D

My speeds on Three on my phone have been insane since about Mon/Tues last week.
    Handset now shows 4G+ most of the time and getting between 80-100 Meg down and 30-35 Up.

Wonder is it to do with the lockdown and they have done something which will be reversed when people go back to work or will it be permanent.If it holds I will ditch Vodafone and go with 3. Anyone know?

I'm between Carrickmacross and Dundalk Eircode A91 A008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

My speeds on Three on my phone have been insane since about Mon/Tues last week.
    Handset now shows 4G+ most of the time and getting between 80-100 Meg down and 30-35 Up.

Wonder is it to do with the lockdown and they have done something which will be reversed when people go back to work or will it be permanent.If it holds I will ditch Vodafone and go with 3. Anyone know?

I'm between Carrickmacross and Dundalk Eircode A91 A008

It would more likely be due to more than usual mobile devices in homes using their broadband Wifi connections instead of using 4G connection

Lot less peope out and about using 3G/4G connections with lot been home at the moment due to COVID-19

With less of the public using 3G/4G connections there is less demand so speeds will be better in some locations

Advertisement