Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold taps not working.

Options
  • 16-11-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My cold water taps stopped working at the weekend. The cold tap in the kitchen is working fine and all the hot taps are too but the cold taps in the bathroom, en suite and downstairs toilets are not. None of the toilet cisterns are filliing either.

I checked the 2 water tanks in the attic and both of them are full.

I'm hopless at DIY but was just wondering if this is something really simple that I can fix before I go ringing a plumber.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Either someone turned off a valve in the hot press or you have an airlock. The cold tap in the kitchen is supplied direct from the mains, so is at higher pressure than the taps fed from the storage tank. You can use a hose from the cold tap in the kitchen connected to one of the cold taps not working to back feed water up to the tank in the attic, and hopefully displace any air lodged in the pipework. Do it slowly and carefully and you should be fine. You will need a good length of (clean) hose and hose clamps that fit your taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Pete67 wrote: »
    Either someone turned off a valve in the hot press or you have an airlock. The cold tap in the kitchen is supplied direct from the mains, so is at higher pressure than the taps fed from the storage tank. You can use a hose from the cold tap in the kitchen connected to one of the cold taps not working to back feed water up to the tank in the attic, and hopefully displace any air lodged in the pipework. Do it slowly and carefully and you should be fine. You will need a good length of (clean) hose and hose clamps that fit your taps.

Thanks Pete

I'll give it a shot

Advertisement