Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Plasma TV!

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I bought a 50" plasma tv around 3years ago when they 1st came on the market ( €3000 cost). It is a Phillips brand and has worked fine up untill now, where a week or so ago it started taking longer n longer to start up!:rolleyes: It would power up fine, you would hear the sound and then after a few mins the pic would appear. Now this never happened b4 and after a week of this the tv does not work(no pic or sound).

Now the thing is I beleive tht this is a design fault as a family member purchased the same tv at the same time and tht tv has also stopped working after the same amount of thime?????

I was wondering where one stands in relation to warranty? surely a product of this cost is expected to last longer than this?? and therefore the stnadard one year warranty tht you get is void ?

Do I have a case here??

Should I contact phillips or the retailer??

Has anyone else experienced the same problem with their plasma tv's??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

In irish law you are covered for up to 6 years, I would suggest a Plasma TV would be nearer the 6 than most.

The basic premise is that suppliers should ensure their products are going to last long enough, rather than offer a 1 year guarantee and it breaks down after that.

I would suggest contacting Philips directly, although your contract is with the retailer Philips are quite good at sorting issues. They will probably try to fob you off with 'out of warranty etc' simply state that in your opinion the TV should last at least 6 years as this is the protection you have under Irish law (minor lie). This should get them to be a little more friendly.

I would expect you to pick up some cost, maybe the delivery cost to them, I would expect them to pick up all other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I would suggest also finding out exactly what is wrong with it, my dad was the first in our family to have one, he had a false wall built and teh tv inserted in there, looked fab, after about 3 years also the tv stopped working and it was due to the gas canister. Now they warn you of these when you buy plasmas, the canister is very very delicate and can suffer from anything, in my dads case most likely overheating due to a confined space. When we were buying ours we bought the 5 year warranty which covered this, I remember both my dad and brother saying we were mental, we wouldnt need it etc etc, but just a few weeks later my dads went.

I dont know where you will get with the 6 year thing, I have never heard of anyone getting much on it, but I would wonder would they include the gas cannister since they warn you about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

ch750536 wrote: »
    In irish law you are covered for up to 6 years, I would suggest a Plasma TV would be nearer the 6 than most.

The basic premise is that suppliers should ensure their products are going to last long enough, rather than offer a 1 year guarantee and it breaks down after that.

I would suggest contacting Philips directly, although your contract is with the retailer Philips are quite good at sorting issues. They will probably try to fob you off with 'out of warranty etc' simply state that in your opinion the TV should last at least 6 years as this is the protection you have under Irish law (minor lie). This should get them to be a little more friendly.

I would expect you to pick up some cost, maybe the delivery cost to them, I would expect them to pick up all other costs.

Will contact Phillips and see wht they have to say....cheers for tht!

I would suggest also finding out exactly what is wrong with it, my dad was the first in our family to have one, he had a false wall built and teh tv inserted in there, looked fab, after about 3 years also the tv stopped working and it was due to the gas canister. Now they warn you of these when you buy plasmas, the canister is very very delicate and can suffer from anything, in my dads case most likely overheating due to a confined space. When we were buying ours we bought the 5 year warranty which covered this, I remember both my dad and brother saying we were mental, we wouldnt need it etc etc, but just a few weeks later my dads went.

I dont know where you will get with the 6 year thing, I have never heard of anyone getting much on it, but I would wonder would they include the gas cannister since they warn you about it.

Surely companies cant go selling expensive products like plasma tv's knowing they have a short life of only 3 years???

The fault with the tv is with philips and through no result of anything I did.

Also if your dad had it built into the wall then he should of built a fan duct sys around the unit to allow for the circulation of air.....with vents ofcourse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Devils laywer here.
    BigAl>> wrote: »
    Surely companies cant go selling expensive products like plasma tv's knowing they have a short life of only 3 years???
    Why not? The TV has a number of hours of life; if you had it on 24/7 you'd have the TV last a lot shorter then someone using it for 1 hour a day. Plasma TVs specifically have this limitation with the gas etc.
    The fault with the tv is with philips and through no result of anything I did.
    Which you assume but no one knows at this time. For sake of argument there could have been a power surge back due to connecting to much stuff in your house for example that damaged something; unlikely but possible and you'd swear you have done nothing to it as well :).

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Devils laywer here.

Why not? The TV has a number of hours of life; if you had it on 24/7 you'd have the TV last a lot shorter then someone using it for 1 hour a day. Plasma TVs specifically have this limitation with the gas etc.

Which you assume but no one knows at this time. For sake of argument there could have been a power surge back due to connecting to much stuff in your house for example that damaged something; unlikely but possible and you'd swear you have done nothing to it as well :).

I assume nothing....... its is in no way a consumer fault:rolleyes: How is it tht 3 plasma tv's all the same model and brand, all bought at the same time and used in an everyday general manor all resulted in the same fault within a month of each other!!!! dnt try tell me tht this is not a design/manufactor feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

BigAl>> wrote: »
    I assume nothing....... its is in no way a consumer fault:rolleyes: How is it tht 3 plasma tv's all the same model and brand, all bought at the same time and used in an everyday general manor all resulted in the same fault within a month of each other!!!! dnt try tell me tht this is not a design/manufactor feature.

nobody is trying to say that you did anything wrong, it is just that plasma tvs are a lot more sensitive and diverse to the old crt so there are issues with them in general, mainly due to the fact that they contain gas. I am not aware of the exact dynamics of them but I do know that they need to be looked after very carefully, i.e. an old crt could have been put in the back of the car after buying it on its side now if you buy a plasma and put it on its side to transport home it wont work when you get it hoe, it needs to be upright at all times. There are likely more things that can cause damage too.

On the issue of power surge, I lost a tv that way once after the elctricity went and came back on, the tv ended up with a blue screen and sound. I also had an issue with power surge this weekend, whilst shooting I had lights plugged into an extension lead, fuses blew on both of them which got me worried but I soon realised I hadnt used a power surge cable so fuses were changed and plugged into a power surge cable and all was fine, we have all tvs and radios and anything of value plugged into power surge protected cables even if we have enough space in the sockets. You can never be too careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Hi there,

I also have a Phillips plasma tv that I purchased abour 3 1/2 years ago. For the last few weeks its been switching itself off while I'm watching it. Sometimes it can go for an hour or more without turning off, other times it will only last about a minute.

Anyone else have this sort of problem?

Hi there,

I also have a Phillips plasma tv that I purchased abour 3 1/2 years ago. For the last few weeks its been switching itself off while I'm watching it. Sometimes it can go for an hour or more without turning off, other times it will only last about a minute.

Anyone else have this sort of problem?

Does the image appear when turned on or does it take afew mins to appear???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ch750536 wrote: »

I think that the law says you're covered for the period which the product is reasonably expected to last, up to a maximum 6 years. So if a plasma TV is reasonably expected to last than 6yrs or more you're covered for 6yrs, if its expected life is 4yrs then you're covered for 4yrs.
    Personally I would expect a CRT/CRT to last 15yrs and a plasma 10yrs

[edit]
    Seems I have to raise my expectations:
    What is the expected lifetime of a Plasma TV?

Probably, the greatest myth about plasma displays is that they only last two to three years. The truth is that present day plasma display panels have an expected half-lifetime of anything between 60,000hrs and 100,000hrs, which is substantially more than that of a traditional CRT TV. Well, even if expected plasma panel life were just 50,000hrs, at 7 hours a day, 365 days a year - this would correspond to almost 20 years of use!

Note that by half-lifetime, we mean that the display brightness will gradually fall to half its original value at the end of the specified period of time. By this time, the image brightness would be too dim for normal viewing and the display panel will have to be replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement