Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Sim Query

• 16-11-2009 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I need to buy a dual sim mobile that will work on both 02 and Vodafone in Ireland, i dont want a samsung (can't use them) and i'm not too keen on buying chinese knock offs unless someone has already bought and tested. Was looking for perhaps a Sony or Nokia but any suggestions are very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

sony and nokia dont make dual sim phones unfortunately.

The networks hate them, thats why so few of them around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

I don't think any mainline manufacturer does a dual-sim phone.

Samsung experiments in this area occasionally.

Here's why.

The major customers of cellphone manufacturers are not end users, but networks.

They buy the phones, work out some hideously complicated subsidy/subscription scenario, then sell them onto the end user.

Scenario:
    Nokia man: Knock Knock
    Cellular Provider: Ah Mr Nokia, I see you have a new phone! What goodies does this one have?
    Nokia man: It lets your customers use another network just as easily as yours. We call it dual-sim
    Cellular provider: Umm, that's great....is that the time? See ya...

It's so NOT going to happen.

In China the power balance between subscriber, manufacturer and network is different.
    Samsung competes heavily in that market and that's why they do the odd dual-sim model.

Also Samsung are an also-ran in many markets, where their relationship with the networks is poor and they have nothing to lose by offering dual-sims.

You will note though that in markets like UK/IE where they have a good relationship with the networks, they don't offer dual-sim ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

FergalBoards.ie, just to say, Hell might be about to freeze, or at least get some frost at the edges.. Nokia are looking to bring a Dual SIM to market sometime in 2010.

Probably hideously overpriced and crippled in a typical Nokia-esque stylish quirky manner.

In the meantime, Samsung have the B5722 and C6112 'released' somewhere in Europe, this month.

The Samsung B5722 looks nice.

samsungb5722dualsim.jpg

I was trying to chase up and purchase a B5722, but it looks like it'll hit the Russian market first, before Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

Hey, am using the Samsung C5212. Yes, I know you said you don't want a Samsung. But am very pleased with it so far. The is easy to use (took a while to get used to it after 10 years of Siemens phones). Switching between SIMs is childsplay. If you want a touchscreen phone, take a look at the Samsung SGH-D980 DuoS.

If you have any questions about the phone (C5212), let me know. But can recommend it. Basic enough funtions but if you're buying a dual sim phone, you can't expect a function-packed devive. There just aren't any of these available on the market yet, at least not from the bigger manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm pretty sure there are some fairly advanced Windows Mobile devices either out there now or just on the way ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There is a Windows Mobile Dual SIM phone, The Acer DX900.

http://www.gsmarena.com/acer_dx900-2718.php

It pops up on Adverts.ie now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

Yep, the Acer is pretty much the only dual sim smartphone by a major manufacturer. And pricey at that! Cheapest I found was €460 plus postage!

Guess it depends whether you're willing to spend that much on one.

Advertisement