Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Battery Charger

• 16-11-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    I have two battery problems - My car battery has gotten low and needs to be charged (it's only a few months old) and is to low for the alternator to do the job so I'm going to buy a charger.

Second problem is that I'm 99% sure that the camper came with a engine battery instead of leisure battery, after using lights for 1 night the zig was show a low battery - it measures 10.9V. I might replace it soon.

Either way I need a good battery charger. All of the battery chargers in Argos are fine for engine "lead acid" batteries but don't mention leisure batteries.

What should I be look for charger wise.

Thanks

SH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

My car battery has gotten low and needs to be charged (it's only a few months old) and is to low for the alternator to do the job so I'm going to buy a charger.

You need a new battery , not a charger for the weak one .
    Second problem is that I'm 99% sure that the camper came with a engine battery instead of leisure battery, after using lights for 1 night the zig was show a low battery - it measures 10.9V. I might replace it soon.
    In itself , thats not a big problem . A good battery for a Diesel car (higher amperage rating than a petrol car's battery) should last more than a night , especially in a small camper .
    Either way I need a good battery charger. All of the battery chargers in Argos are fine for engine "lead acid" batteries but don't mention leisure batteries.

A small charger , from your Motor factors should do the trick , something that puts out 12v and less than 10 amps . If you look at the ManBat range , they do chargers for leisure and marine use .

Are you sure the alternator and wiring of the base van are ok ? What sort of van is it , and how old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks for the reply, I bought a charger last nigh in halfords and have the car battery on charge, I'll see how it goes it should be under gurantee if it's dead.

I'll give the camper battery a charge as see how it holds up but as it's going low when it shouldn't. It's easier to take it out and charge it that hookup to mains so I'll give it a shot and see if it's holding charge, if not I'll get a new one.

It's a 91 jap import Toyota hiace.

OK so the car batter is fine now gave it a good charge and it's been ok for a over a week but the camper batter isn't

I took it out and hooked it up to the charger, which almost immediately said it was fully charged. I let it rest for the morning in the back of the camper - and measured the voltage at lunch time at 10.85V - the ZIG unit is showing low battery straight away.

Any ideas ? Why does the charger think it's full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

'cos it's as full as it can get now , as the battery has a dead cell .

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    'cos it's as full as it can get now , as the battery has a dead cell .
    Thanks I was starting to think the same, may as well get a new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement