Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer noob.

• 16-11-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Hi Techies,
    I've recently come into possession of my first computer and am a complete noob with regard to security.
    Can anyone suggest which anti-virus progammes i should be downloading and any other precautions i should take?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

'AVG free edition' and 'spybot search and destroy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Agree with Hobochris. 2 very good free packages. Way better than my paid for Norton ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

hobochris wrote: »
    'AVG free edition' and 'spybot search and destroy'.

i have recently uninstalled AVG free and switched to "microsoft security essentials" again its free with def updates everyday and no add bar asking you to upgrade to pro(which AVG has)

It uses very little ram also...win win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

wudangclan wrote: »
    Hi Techies,
    I've recently come into possession of my first computer and am a complete noob with regard to security.
    Can anyone suggest which anti-virus progammes i should be downloading and any other precautions i should take?
    Thanks.

What Operating System do you have?

If it's Vista or Windows 7, you should download Firewall Control (the free version is sufficient)

Vista and Windows 7 have built in firewalls, but the above program turns it into a more powerful solution, prompting you when a program wants to send information to the internet, which you can allow or deny.

A free anti-virus is just as good, or even better, than one you would pay for.

Avast
    Avira
    AVG

Using a safe web browser is also extremely helpful. I'd advise using Firefox, Opera or Chrome. If you use Internet Explorer keep it updated, using windows update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Bob_Harris wrote: »

If it's Vista or Windows 7, you should download Firewall Control (the free version is sufficient)

How do I know which OS I have?

• Advertisement

How do I know which OS I have?

Hold the Ctrl key, the Alt key and hit the Del key. What's on screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Stevo105 wrote: »
    i have recently uninstalled AVG free and switched to "microsoft security essentials" again its free with def updates everyday and no add bar asking you to upgrade to pro(which AVG has)

Have herd a few good things about this, but not enough yet to make the switch.. always the skeptic :rolleyes::D.

Vista :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd agree with this. Backed up by Ad-aware free version too for extra protection.
    I have 7 systems (4 pc's, 3 laptops) in my home alone and have it on them all with no worries or problems.

Enough there to keep me going.
    Thanks for the patience and replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm using the same and find it quite good. I found the latest AVG turned into a bit of a resource hog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the new Microsoft Security Essentials is getting rave reviews. Gizmodo reported a 98% detection rate which is as good/better than most of the options out there.

Overheal wrote: »
    the new Microsoft Security Essentials is getting rave reviews. Gizmodo reported a 98% detection rate which is as good/better than most of the options out there.
    Yep. I've been saying that for a while.
    No complaints yet so far.
    Must be a first of few things that Microsoft have gotten right in some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials
    I ditched AGV for it a while ago, with no problems.

How is MS Security Essentials on resources?

NOD32 seems to be lightest in terms of paid Anti Viruses, but what would be the lightest of the free AVs?

How is MS Security Essentials on resources?

NOD32 seems to be lightest in terms of paid Anti Viruses, but what would be the lightest of the free AVs?

Don't know the exact specs myself but I find generally MS Security Essentials very light than anything I've previously used (and I have used A LOT) and a lot faster at kicking up and running at start-up too.
    From turn on to actual use, one of my pc's is now (with Win7) usable within 35 seconds.
    (I timed it, I was so surprised!)

...by the way, one of the best free firewalls I've come across is PC Tools Free Firewall.
    See here: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
    Worth considering also. Dead easy to use and install. Won loads of awards too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Sorry to go of topic here....

I have Mcafee and its up in December, i can get rid and replace with MS Security Essentials and Firewall Control or a similar free firewall?

jeffk wrote: »

I have Mcafee and its up in December, i can get rid and replace with MS Security Essentials and Firewall Control or a similar free firewall?

You can do whatever you like, it's a free(ish) world :pac:

Why wait till December, Macafee is not the greatest so I wouldn't be waiting around to replace it myself.

jeffk wrote: »

Yes. No problem. Don't forget to reboot after un-install first though.
    I'd suggest http://www.pctools.com/firewall/ free and check out the awards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

You can do whatever you like, it's a free(ish) world :pac:

Why wait till December, Macafee is not the greatest so I wouldn't be waiting around to replace it myself.

Its to free in some ways for my liking but thats for another thread lol.

Well im up to speed on pcs but don't general cut corners on antivirus etc, my bro had mcafee so thats why i went with that.

Well ive paid for it till then but i suppose I can un-install an try these alternatives and still have a subscription to fall back onto.

Cheers for quick response

Vista and Windows 7 have built in firewalls, but the above program turns it into a more powerful solution, prompting you when a program wants to send information to the internet, which you can allow or deny.

So i've just gone to download the firewall control and it's asking if i have a 32 or 64 bit system.How do i determine this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

So i've just gone to download the firewall control and it's asking if i have a 32 or 64 bit system.How do i determine this?

Follow the instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Patrick

Advertisement