Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the fanta is different - right?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

hey, I'm hoping someone can settle an argument for me :)

myself and the OH have just come back from a wonderful holiday in Catalonia in Spain and I reckon that the Fanta and Fanta Zero there tastes completely different : it's not the fake-day-glow orange colour that the stuff sold over here is, it's less synthetic tasting, and it has 'bits' in it, like orange juice.

He reckons it tastes exactly the same and that I'm over romanticising [I did bang on a lot there about how many things are better than Ireland - the weather, the public transport system, their attitude to architecture, the food, the price of fags, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc :p]

Anyway, has anyone here tasted both and noticed a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have not tasted the spanish one but there is a good chance it is different, you can simply compare ingredients lists. Fanta here now is crap compared to what I remember as a kid, while club orange is still consistently good, while it has had a few changes over the years too.

Club has about 11% orange juice, I think fanta is 1-2%, fanta pineapple has no pineapple juice at all AFAIK.

EDIT:
    Ingredients
    The composition of Fanta, for the same flavor, varies from country to country. For example, the European Fanta Orange contains orange juice (in varying percentages but typically 6%), whereas the US formulation does not [3]. The Australian version is 2.1% fruit juice, and South American formulations also have orange juice, especially in Brazil, where Fanta is 10% orange juice. These differences mean the taste of Fanta differs greatly from country to country, more so than regular Coca Cola, and may in part explain why the drink's popularity varies so much between different countries. Difference in coloring can be observed internationally. For example, where European Fanta Orange is light orange, almost yellow, in Latin and North American markets it is deep orange in color.

Spanish Fanta Orange formulation: [4]

Carbonated water, sugar, 8% orange juice from concentrate, acidity regulator E-330 (citric acid), aromas, preserver E-211 (sodium benzoate), stabilizers E-414 (gum arabic), E-412 (guar gum), E-445, antioxidant E-300 (ascorbic acid), food coloring E-160a (Carotene) and gelatine (made from fish).
    United States Fanta Orange formulation:

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, sodium benzoate, modified food starch, natural and artificial flavors, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, sodium polyphosphates, coconut oil, yellow 6, brominated vegetable oil, red 40, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta

I am 99% sure Irelands is a lot lower than 8%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

yes, it definitely tastes different abroad than here. It tastes a lot more natural and nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'll complicate things even further- get a fanta in a can from a shop, and compare to the soda stream stuff, like you get in McDonalds.
    Not the same.
    AND it's not the same in Europe as it is here (i've done extensive research!!)
    AND it's different again in the states - an alarmingly unnatural shade of orange over there.
    So no - you're not imagining it. Though I've no idea why it might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

dan_d wrote: »
    I'll complicate things even further- get a fanta in a can from a shop, and compare to the soda stream stuff, like you get in McDonalds.
    Not the same.

That's because that stuff is like a syrup, it's diluted in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The stuff abroad tastes more like a fruit juice with minimal fizz. TBH i prefered the coke abroad though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hornyfemale

I had an Aussie friend who used to say the closest Fanta to Aussie Fanta was the one you got in the cinema ie. the syrup diluted with later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Fanta’ Orange – Great Britain Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar (from beet and/or cane), orange fruit from concentrate (5%), citric acid, vegetable concentrates (carrot, pumpkin), preservative (potassium sorbate), natural flavourings, sweeteners (sodium saccharin, aspartame), antioxidant (ascorbic acid), acidity regulator (sodium citrate), stabiliser (guar gum).

‘Fanta’ Orange – Ireland Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar, orange fruit from concentrate (8%), citric acid, flavourings, preservative (potassium sorbate), stabiliser (guar gum) , colour (beta-carotene, β-apo-8'-carotenal).

I am certain I heard on the radio last week, there is zero fruit content in the USA one :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Their may or may not be a taste difference, but as long as there is a colour difference, people will imagine a taste difference.

Also, if tjhe colours are the same, people will ignore sutle taste differences, colour plays a huge part here

Was in Barcelona during the summer. Couldn't get over how nicer the Fanta was.
    It was like fizzy orange juice.
    Seriously thinking of ordering some over the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

I used to live in Holland, and the Fanta there is like you describe. Lighter in colour, and it definitely tastes different, no doubt about it. I prefer it actually, although I'll quite happily drink either, just not the icky diet stuff!

• Advertisement

It's more like Orangina me thinks

(In europe I meant!)

Advertisement