Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property scrappage scheme for budget 2010

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

i kid you not! :eek: we dont have a car industry so they want to "stimulate" the construction sector

heard first on the pin > http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26485
    Have just heard that cabinet is to debate a 'property scrappage scheme' in the December budget. Own an old, poorly insulated house and the state will give you 50K towards the build cost of a new house with an A2 BER on site or elsewhere. Scheme is self-financing through VAT and other taxes from construction activity. It doesn't increase supply so won't depress prices. At least that's the spin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

They should hire people to go round breaking windows. Then people will get new properly insulated windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

cavedave wrote: »
    They should hire people to go round breaking windows. Then people will get new properly insulated windows...

it increases GDP sure :D

like Hurricane Katrina increased GDP of New Orleans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This has to be a p*** take or else they are actually listening to tom parlon who has been bending a few ears :rolleyes:

Do this shower of incompetent wan**** ever think of anything that doesn't involve bricks and mortar ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They should have been making energy efficiency a much bigger priority in the building standards years ago. I'd say a typical german house from 20 years ago is as efficient as an irish one from 10 years ago or maybe even today.

Anyway, a scheme to help people insulate THEIR OWN HOMES would make good sense I feel as it brings lasting benefits for Ireland's CO2 production and thus penalties for falling foul of Kyoto etc.

I believe home heating is one of the biggest culprits of CO2 production in Ireland. Makes more sense to give a grant towards house insulation, solar panels (germany does this too), wind turbines etc. than car scrappage schemes!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

murphaph wrote: »
    They should have been making energy efficiency a much bigger priority in the building standards years ago. I'd say a typical german house from 20 years ago is as efficient as an irish one from 10 years ago or maybe even today.

Anyway, a scheme to help people insulate THEIR OWN HOMES would make good sense I feel as it brings lasting benefits for Ireland's CO2 production and thus penalties for falling foul of Kyoto etc.

I believe home heating is one of the biggest culprits of CO2 production in Ireland. Makes more sense to give a grant towards house insulation, solar panels (germany does this too), wind turbines etc. than car scrappage schemes!

There already is a grant scheme towards insulation of existing homes and similar.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »

the home insulation grant (for homes older than 2 years) is being withdrawn in few months

same with solar heating grants

solar photovotaics are unknown in Ireland, the payback is in very very long time

as for windturbines at home, forget about it, the ****ing greens havent done anything about the retarded planing laws that prevent people from putting these up, i want to put one up in backyard but cant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    as for windturbines at home, forget about it, the ****ing greens havent done anything about the retarded planing laws that prevent people from putting these up, i want to put one up in backyard but cant :(

It's a noise pollution issue though isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for private wind turbines attached to houses, I just don't think there isn't a case against having them.

nesf wrote: »
    It's a noise pollution issue though isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for private wind turbines attached to houses, I just don't think there isn't a case against having them.

more of being on top of hill with everyone being able to see it, and a pile of rocks that used to be a "castle" being nearby :(

these turbines dont make much noise (2 blades only) nowadays, and theres a distance to neighbours

eitherway all this talk of green power is just that talk, until theres a will (politcial) to actually allow people to produce energy as happens in germany

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I'm not surpised, but I am confused.

Why not build a subway in Dublin?
    Why not built a motorway from Cork to Limerick?
    Why not build a tunnel from Dublin to Wales?

House building is not the only way to get people off the dole.
    Why not build something which will contribute to the economy, which you can get individuals or companies, or EU handouts to invest in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    i kid you not! :eek: we dont have a car industry so they want to "stimulate" the construction sector

heard first on the pin > http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26485

Own an old, poorly insulated house and the state will give you 50K towards the build cost of a new house with an A2 BER on site or elsewhere

Thats a bit mad now Ted, what do they propose to do with the old house??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Why not build a subway in Dublin?
    Why not built a motorway from Cork to Limerick?
    Why not build a tunnel from Dublin to Wales?

House building is not the only way to get people off the dole.
    Why not build something which will contribute to the economy, which you can get individuals or companies, or EU handouts to invest in?

I imagine political donations are down considerably for FF so they need to provide an economic stimulus for their party :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how many of the property's soon to be nama's have a proper ber rating, my house was built in 1880, and i bet it has better ratings than all of them, diy, i would not let any of that crowd in at the end of the borheen never mind into my yard, tom parlon and company have had it so good for yonks, that now they are like a kid who has been told there is no santy.

Advertisement