Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats a good starter camera?

• 16-11-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi folks,

Been toying with the idea of getting a new camera but am unsure of what to choose. I am a new to photography but want to purchase a camera that is a good entry level camera but has the option of adding to it. Would be willing to spend 500-600 euros, so any advice would be appreicated?

Dont want to spend money on a camera that doesnt give me the option of adding to it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Hi cregs,

I take it you're looking for something along the lines of a DSLR then?

Firstly, how a camera feels in your hand is the biggest factor in what you buy. So, visit a shop, not necessarily to buy, but to pick up and hold the cameras. Nikon/Canon are usually the most popular choices.

Next, you're probably talking Nikon D60 (which I have) or Canon EOS 450D. I'd go for one of those, get yourself a memory card, maybe a decent tripod too. I think that should bring you in and around the 500 - 600 mark.

Have a read of this thread too for good sites to review different models etc:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557678

Hope this helps,
    KG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cregs

Hey KG,

Thanks for that, I assuming DSLR means digital? yeah thats what I would be looking for.

I am hearing good things about the Canon EOS series, do you know if these give the option of adding with extra lenses and so forth?

whats your view on the Nikon D60? do you like it?

Thanks again

Cregs

No problem Cregs,

You're correct, D stands for digital. And all SLRs have interchangeable lens so you're good there too.

Both the D60 and EOS 450D are great wee starter cameras. I have the D60 and love it to bits. It's small enough to not get noticed too much when out and about, but big enough and flexible enough to give you some excellent photos.

As I said, try choose a camera that you like the feel of, as opposed to what you've heard about each. Next factor, if you don't have much of a preference as to how they feel, maybe you have a lot of friends that use a particular brand? That would sway me too (because then you can just borrow/swap lens with them!).

Side by side both Canon and Nikon are great cameras. I don't know if one out performs the other in any way. You might get people biased to one make or another, so try not let that sway you. Buy the brand you like, because once you buy into a make you're stuck with that make. A Nikon Lens doesn't work on a canon. And vice versa.* So that's why I say pick a make you like the feel of and then choose from there.

KG

* Disclaimer: there may be adapters to make them work, I don't know, but off the shelf they don't fit on the other make of camera :D
    cregs wrote: »
    Hey KG,

Thanks for that, I assuming DSLR means digital? yeah thats what I would be looking for.

I am hearing good things about the Canon EOS series, do you know if these give the option of adding with extra lenses and so forth?

whats your view on the Nikon D60? do you like it?

Thanks again

Cregs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Maybe take a look at the Panasonic G series as well. The G1 is available around town for about the same as a 500d and comes with a better lens and a better live view implementation. You may find it an easier step up to take coming from a compact.

Cheers,

thats some good stuff, Ill take it on board.

I think I will just prob have to head into a shop and get a feel for a camera. From what I am hearing it seems to be preference. It appears that people have their own favourites, but I do think the Canon sounds like a good starting point and will allow me to bulid from there.

thanks again dude

• Advertisement

Cheers Duff,

Good to have a few options, just wondering do you a panasonic or what would your preference be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I don't own a panasonic, I currently have an Olympus DSLR but am seriously considering slimming down my gear and to that end I'll be looking at the Olympus E-P1 and the Panasonic GF1. The kit zooms are good and the 20mm F1.7 looks a beauty of a lens.

Photography is just an expensive and enjoyable hobby for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

I was going to buy a DSlr but Bought a Nikon P90 instead.great all rounder for family and Arty/sporty use. Got a good review in one of the Irish newspapers this week too

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/04/30/Nikon-Coolpix-P90/p1

Thats brilliant, some good reading on that with pros & cons.

does anyone know if the Canon EOS 1000D is a worthwhile investment? from some of the reviews I have read, it seems like a good starter camera with the option of expanding?

thanks again

Cregs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

It really depends on what you want. I've had my starter camera around 3 or 4 years ago now. Bought it knowing almost nothing about cameras. I literally bought cos it was a big camera lol. It depends on how serious u are about getting into photography. If u want a investment get one of the ones mentioned. But if ure going to get bored after 6 months don't spend 500 on one. My started camera was a fujifilm s5600 for around €200 bought on eBay and I'm only starting to outgrow it now

• Advertisement

Hey Jennie,

I would have a limited knowldege of cameras but am would be serious in getting into it...cash dependant of course :D. dont think I would be getting bored of it in 6 months and do see the purchase as an opportunity to build on my knowledge and add to it over the coming months and years.

you say you have outgrown your current model, what will you be upgrading to?

Cheers

I'm limited on Canon knowledge I'm afraid. All out Nikon I am! I'm sure some of the Canon users can give you a more detailed input on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I haven't decided what to upgrade to yet. Don't have the money to buy anything atm!

However I am buying the Samsung St550 because I really want a small camera for going out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Away from the current train of thought-
    I was in the same boat as you- was thinking of buying a DSLR but in the end I went for a bridge/super zoom compact camera. It’s in between a compact and a DSLR camera.
    My logic was it's easier to carry around, quicker to use (no changing lense), not as bulky and very versatile. I can always sell it (for more or less the same price) and buy a DSLR if I want in a while.

This is the one I bought-

It has a 18X zoom, macro lens all built in so I don’t have to splash out extra. It’s a lot easier as you don’t have to carry around a few lens or have to change them and might miss the shot. It’s also cheaper, especially if you remember that zoom lens for an slr can cost mega bucks.

I got it for about €220 from camerabox . It costs about €350 or so it town.
    They also have a B grade/clearance section here.

Regardless of what type of camera you go for have a look at these links-

http://www.cameralabs.com/ is very good for reviews- they have top rated section, video tours of each camera.

Www.dpreview.com is also good but more advanced. They have a very good forum though.

Good luck,
    Pa.

Hey Pa,

thanks for that man, some good stuff on that, appreciate it.

thanks

Cregs

Advertisement