Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Liverpool

• 04-01-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Im going to liverpool for two nights with the other half on 20th january. Any ideas what to do?
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

cacamilis wrote: »
    Im going to liverpool for two nights with the other half on 20th january. Any ideas what to do?
    thanks.
    From the 12th of jan Liverpool becomes the official capital of cuture and their are many events planned throughout the city in the year.A vist to the Maritime museam and the Museam of life down at the albert dock are well worth the vist . You can round it off with a meal at some of the various restaraunts and a pint if you fancy at the nearby pump house inn .If your a football fan you can take a tour of both anfied and goodison park but may need to be booked in advance.The shopping in liverpool is very good such as the clayton square complex and bargins to be had at the new primark store for all tastes .The city centre also has some nice restaraunts and pubs such as weatherspoons as well as some irish themed pubs ,o ' briens, the liffy .If your a beatle fan then the cavern walks is a must vist were you can buy your beatle products and have a pint in the grapes which was a haunt of the fab four before world fame .The walker art gallery is also very intresting to vist with old and modern art .Enjoy your stay :)

http://www.liverpool08.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/capital_of_culture/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

www.visitliverpool.com

Here is a pdf visitors guide: http://www.visitliverpool.com/xsdbimgs/Visitor_Guide_2008_Accom.pdf
    visit the beatles exhibit under the albert dock, Hit the St Johns Market. Go up the tower for a 360 degree view

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/tourism/guide/localtours/2003/04/25/radio-city-tower-50061-12890952/

Hit mathew street at night. Go to the recreated cavern club, take the mersey ferries tour (wrap up warm).

You will have a great time, I am over there next week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cacamilis

all sounds good thanks so much for the ideas!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

The Beatles museum down Albert Dock is worth a visit but can take a good while if you're intent on reading the info on every single display. If you're remotely into football the tour of Anfield is a must, takes just under an hour. Plenty of info on how a stadium works which my other half found interesting despite her complete lack of interest in soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

watch your wallet

s8n wrote: »
    watch your wallet
    As you would anywere be it Newcastle , New York ,Dublin or even Liverpool .:rolleyes:

I am looking foreward to visting the new 12000 seater arena to see some acts in 08.
    Previously we had to travel to manchester or birmingham to see any major acts unless it was to play at the giant marquee at the albert dock which was fun in itself i suppose at the time .

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cacamilis

thanks for that video link superscouse! and thanks everyone for the tips! i will indeed watch my purse ;) we're heading to the aston villa -v- liverpool match while over! so should be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am heading over myself in early feb, We will be doing the whole football thing for himself and then I am going to drag him a long to the walker art gallery and the liverpool tate.

Here are a few good links

Let me know if you come across anything interesting.

Enjoy.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/index.asp

http://www.liverpoolcomedyfestival.com/

as you can see from my username, I have a "little connection" with liverpool. I am over again this weekend, so if I pick up any more good tips, I will post them next week, so check in again then.

• Advertisement

Just saw an advertisment to day in Liverpool city centre for the moving hearts gig at the royal

philharmonic .http://www.liverpoolphil.com/eventdetail.aspx?Event_ID=1620

That is one band i would love to go and see and i might just do so .Link below is about the giant regeneration going on in the city now.

http://www.liverpool-one.com/Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

the parents will be heading there soon and I would like to give them a rough idea of good places to go and things to do...they will have a good 2 full days, I think they would especially like Beatles related things.

Thanks

The cavern walks in the city centre is a must for beatle fans of all ages as well as the beatle museam in the albert dock .You can also go on a bus tour of old beatle homes and haunts .A trip on the mesry ferry is a must and the maritime museam (also at the albert dock) is very intresting .You will find a variety of good restaraunts ,cafes and pubs in and around liverpool and there are tourist guides on hand for any information at hand as well as a tourist office located oppisite Lyyods pub in city centre .You can also get a good 3 course meal at Lyyods for a decent price .

http://www.liverpool-one.com/website/

http://beatlesstory.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

thank you very much for all that information!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Work is sending me over tomorrow. only there for the day, but what should i do while there?

I see why noone replied....not exactly a blast over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Go down to O'Neills tonight and get locked!

Drink is the ONLY thing not covered by expenses. otherwise i'd be too wrecked already to post

Liverpool is the best city in the world - if you know where to go

superSCOUSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kablam

Myself and the better half are heading to liverpool for the weekend for some R&R on the 24th of this month. Just wondering what we should take in?. Don't expect the weather to be too good so mabey something indoors would be ideal.

Tnks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mick_ire

You should try and go to the Beatles museum in Ablert Docks. Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My OH is a massive beatles fan and I would like to organise something in liverpool for his birthday in April.

I was looking at the hotel "hard days night" have any of you been, the reviews vary from ten out of ten to "lennon would be turning in his grave" and it's expensive so I'm not sure.

Also are there any tours or anything like that.

And of course, the whole weekend wont be just about the beatles, so what other things would you recommend in Liverpool.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JStand

My OH is a massive beatles fan and I would like to organise something in liverpool for his birthday in April.

I was looking at the hotel "hard days night" have any of you been, the reviews vary from ten out of ten to "lennon would be turning in his grave" and it's expensive so I'm not sure.

Also are there any tours or anything like that.

And of course, the whole weekend wont be just about the beatles, so what other things would you recommend in Liverpool.

Thanks

Do your Beatles thing and get the hell outta there asap. The city is a dive. Get the train to Manchester only 35mins away

:eek: Really, that bad?

I was looking at heading to manchester for a day to go sphering anyway so I might just organise one night in the beatles hotel then move on.

So then, suggestion for surrounding areas woud be much appreciated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

JStand wrote: »
    Do your Beatles thing and get the hell outta there asap. The city is a dive. Get the train to Manchester only 35mins away

oooh! A Sun reader!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

ignore that post.

Great nightlife in Liverpool, class city.

Manchester aint called Gun City for no reason !:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JStand

For shopping : Trafford centre http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/
    Hotel: Crowne Plaza city centre http://www.cpmanchester.com/

Sorted:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

might as well go to the beatles thing and then go to limerick. depressing place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

dublins a dive too, if your in certain areas.

The Beatles museum is good,there is a magical musical mystery tour aswell which is slighly cheesy but fun. there is a 'duck' tour which goes round the city and into the water at the docks. some nice churches.walker art gallery Chester Zoo is an hours bus away from the city, its well worth it!!! there is a hotel near the zoo which do an offer on a nights stay and zoo pass.the night life in liverpool is really good due to a huge student population (including my OH) really good places to eat and friendly too.

Thanks everyone.

( 13 posts :rolleyes: )

No it's not ,saying Liverpool is a dive is a bit like saying Dublin or co Dublin is paradise on earth ,neither city fits that discription although both citys have their _ s and + s so dont generalise like that out of maybe a quick vist or perhaps some allegiance to some other citys football team ( the fact you mention manchester which has nothing that you wont find in Liverpool ). Liverpool also takes in Merseyside which like Co Dublin has it's nice pleasent neighbourhoods like Osmskirk, Southport ,Maghull and other areas .My expierences are based on living in the city and the people are as friendly as any people you find anywere in the world.There is also the newly built billion £ shopping centre which has everything you wont find in most british citys .

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ignore that post.

Great nightlife in Liverpool, class city.

Manchester aint called Gun City for no reason !:pac:
    Well said :)

My friend from Liverpool ( a teacher) is planning a surprise weekend trip to Dublin soon for his girlfriends birthday and me being a Dubliner , was asking me all about the place and looking forward to the trip .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

latchyco wrote: »
    ( 13 posts :rolleyes: )

No it's not ,saying Liverpool is a dive is a bit like saying Dublin or co Dublin is paradise on earth ,neither city fits that discription although both citys have their _ s and + s so dont generalise like that out of maybe a quick vist or perhaps some allegiance to some other citys football team ( the fact you mention manchester which has nothing that you wont find in Liverpool ). Liverpool also takes in Merseyside which like Co Dublin has it's nice pleasent neighbourhoods like Osmskirk, Southport ,Maghull and other areas .My expierences are based on living in the city and the people are as friendly as any people you find anywere in the world.There is also the newly built billion £ shopping centre which has everything you wont find in most british citys .

Have to dissagree with you here, just came back from the city myself was over for the Liverpool-Everton match, for the most part the city is a kip. The city centre is grand with some decent nightspots(the drink is cheap also) and the Liverpool One shopping centre is pretty impressive. Once you start going outside the city centre things go downhill, bar the odd affluent area a lot of the city is very dilapidated and depressing. So i'd reccomend just sticking to the city centre.

On the point of people comparing it to Dublin, i'm from a pretty rough area of Dublin and it still isn't half as bad some of the places i've seen in Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

you can do tours of anfield and goodison, even if you dont like football it is interesting and they have museums too, there is a yellow duck marine which was mentioned earlier, its a tour of the city but also goes around the docks, the docks have alot of upmarket resaurants and pubs but dont worry about getting in there, bouncers are friendly unlike ireland, taxi drivers are the nicest on earth and so helpful, once they hear the irish accent they will have a laugh with you, also they city centre is great but the outskirts are abit rough looking but tell me a city that does not have problems like this, and the beatles museum is also down by the docks and thats where the yellow duck marine also starts, you can pop into john aldridges bar too, its on victoria street

• Advertisement

Fair points of view by sir Gallagher and Carlow guy

I think the city has it's own character and some estates just outside the city are delapadated but you have to travel further out out into suburbia along the Northern /Southern/Wirral railway lines to see neighbourhoods that are just as nice as any in Britain / Ireland to live .
    It's estimated the capital of culture venture will bring an estimated 500,000 more visitors to the city this year to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Another thing i would say is, if you need to get a taxi anwhere try and ring one rather than getting a black cab on the street. The black cabs are much more expensive and i had the feeling one or two of them took me on one or two scenic routes the last time.

Yeah private cabs tend to be cheaper but unlike in Dublin , you cant flag them down on the street ,you must phone for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fifiella

Hey, Me and the boyf are heading to liverpool at the end of April. Has anyone been? Can you recommend stuff to do both day and night. Any good pubs/clubs/places to see for couple in their 20s.</p>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

fifiella wrote: »
    Hey, Me and the boyf are heading to liverpool at the end of April. Has anyone been? Can you recommend stuff to do both day and night. Any good pubs/clubs/places to see for couple in their 20s.</p>

/*Sits back with a large tub of popcorn and waits for the onslaught...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Might get some more serious replies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fifiella

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Just do a search, there are loads of thread which cover Liverpool already and at least one on the page you posted :rolleyes:

www.visitliverpool.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Concert Square is good for clubs, kind of like Temple Bar and Matthew St has loads of pubs. Good shopping in the city centre, really cheap. If youre into football try and get to see a Liverpool or Everton match.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

hi there,

going to liverpool for the wend with my girlfriend. just wondering has anyone any suggestions of where is a nice place to have a meal in the evening(not too particular what kind of food,be it chinese,indian) and also what pubs are nice over there? going to a match on the saturday so for my girlfriends sake,where will she be able to find all the high street shops etc etc. are they just on one main street over there or what?

thanks for any suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

Liverpool one is a new enough shopping area it is massive loads of shops over about 5 streets. Near the Albert docks and about 10 mins from Lime street its well signposted. You should just do the Fooball tour and see the European cups feck that shopping!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone know anyhting to do in liverpool in the morning time. will be getting off the boat at 6am. Also, things to do on a sunday afternoon bearing in mind one of us cant drink due to driving. Dont mind if it is a bit of a drive. Also, niether of us support liverpool :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sarah.Roo

Few of us girls from dublin are goin over to liverpool for a weekend!!!
    never been before.. were looking for shopping..!..Drinking..! and eating..!
    anyone got any reccomendations? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

I was only there with the boyfriend last month. Whereabouts are ye stayin? We stayed in Albert Dock area, literally a stones throw from Liverpool One the shopping centre. Loads of restaurants and cafes in the area too. I'd recommend you try cafe sports england for dinner some night I can't remember the exact address but it's really close to the Cavern club. There's also a cafe sports express in Liverpool One which is great for brekkie or lunch.
    I got most of my info from www.visitliverpool.com and tripadvisor. I got a free guidebook posted to me from visitliverpool too which was great.

Neither of us drink so I can't advise on that side of things but I know there is a great nightlife in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickdlk

Have lived in liverpool the last 3 years and love it....

Eating out, as mentioned above try Cafe Sports England, owned by Jamie Carragher (Liverpool Player) for foood, cheap aswell and often bumb into celeb or two there if that would excite you....Also try a place called Cesars Palace, its also relatively cheap, it is just beside the Adelphi Hotel slap in the middle of the city....Try out Nando's, its a chicken restaurant, there is one in Liverpool one and also one in Queens Square....

Shopping----Liverpool one has it all, also if you want to get taxi out to Speke Retail park, aprox £8, there is a range of shops and very cheap....

Drinking---STAY AWAY FROM O NEILLS, its good but at weekends, you cant move in the place and bar staff are so slow.,..just my opinion.....There is an Irish Pub called POGUES, great pub, can get quite busy at times....
    Depending on age, 18-25 Concert Square would be the place to go, aprox 40 pubs, clubs all in one area, but can be very crowded and sometimes rough
    25plus, id go for Matthew Street, about 20 pubs all very good and alot friendlier than Concert Square...

Any more info needed, please feef free to ask

• Advertisement
Advertisement