Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In the Well: JaneyBabe

• 16-11-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is one poster that a lot of us have been gunning for waiting for. As a mod of this forum Janey has shown us the way in a lot of areas, guided our faltering footsteps and generally been a all round nice gurl.
    So, with great pleasure I'd like to welcome Janey to the well. Ask her your questions but don't forget that it's about the clothes and not the poster so nothing personal.
    Moderator Privilage of asking the first question: Do you ever feel that you can do better the some of the named designers or have you ever designed something yourself?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Hard to ask questions without knowing your style so a brief discription please? Plus...

Favourite designer

Favourite item of clothing

How tall are your heels on a night out

Favourite shop

Do you buy online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

OldGoat wrote: »
    I think this is one poster that a lot of us have been gunning for waiting for. As a mod of this forum Janey has shown us the way in a lot of areas, guided our faltering footsteps and generally been a all round nice gurl.
    :o Thanks OldGoat.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Do you ever feel that you can do better the some of the named designers or have you ever designed something yourself?
    Me? Design things? Not a chance! When I was in secondary school I used to spend a lot of time drawing clothes and I did actually want to be a fashion designer for a few years. I was rubbish at it though. Seriously rubbish. They gave me a C in Art but really I don't think I deserved that.

As for doing better than some of the named designers, well, I wouldn't really be one to follow what the big names are designing, although when something catches my eye it's usually expensive and designed by someone fabulous.

On the other hand, a lot of what the named designers do design does not appeal to me in any way. Still, I don't envy their job!

I do make earrings though, so I suppose that could count as designing. :)
    Hard to ask questions without knowing your style so a brief discription please?
    I don't really know how to answer that question. I asked my boyfriend and he said individual, which is pretty vague.

I wear an awful lot of dresses. I adore dresses. My latest thing is layering. I wear dresses over long sleeved tops and skinny jeans. I like to stand out. I wear what is not readily available.

I suppose I could describe myself as having a pretty/boho/rock/girly/sophisticated [delete as necessary] style depending on my mood.
    Favourite designer
    I don't really know much about designers. I like clothes rather than names. However I am a fan of a lot of what Vivienne Westwood does.
    Favourite item of clothing
    Currently it's this dress:

8354-1.jpg?36c512f6970a9645f721dfb13d8c1fdc556d506c

It's more mustard in colour though. I get endless compliments when I wear it. I wear it with a black top underneath, black tights and black flat shoes to work or it I want to dress it up I'd stick on some purple tights and purple platforms. It has an exposed zip on the back that really makes it stand out.

I'm also in love with my Irregular Choice cat boots. So comfortable.
    How tall are your heels on a night out
    The higher the better. I love platforms and I wont wear heels unless they are sky-high.
    Favourite shop
    I don't really like shops. :o I hate having to go into a shop to buy clothes. If I ever have to I spend 5 minutes in there and then I'm done. I like River Island for shoes and French Connection for dresses though.
    Do you buy online?
    Yes! I buy most of my clothes online. As I said, I hate shops, so I find shopping online an absolute joy. I buy from ASOS, modcloth, Uttam Direct, Mina UK and sometime from the high street shops online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Emmsy

Your style seems quite fun and quirky!
    Is there anything that you just would not be caught dead in?

Are you a vintage gal?

And do you feel its better to overdress or underdress for an occasion and why?

Emmsy wrote: »
    Your style seems quite fun and quirky!
    Thanks. :) You've summed it up better than I could!
    Is there anything that you just would not be caught dead in?
    Ugg boots. Actually, I was nearly caught dead in them once when I threw on my sister's pair to go to the shop and fell on the way in. :( I just don't like them.

Anything neon apart from my green, pink and orange Converse.

Lipsy dresses.

Jeggings.

Aborcrombie and Fitch. Mammy janeybabe bought me a long sleeved t shirt when she was in New York and I wear it to bed because it's soft but it's not flattering so I wouldn't wear it outside.

Anything with the brand plastered across the front of it.

That's all I can think of. :p
    Are you a vintage gal?
    I never buy vintage. I don't have to patience to go looking. I'm a huge fan of the styles of the 30s, 40s and 50s though.
    And do you feel its better to overdress or underdress for an occasion and why?
    Ah we're moving into the territory of my insecurities now. :D I think it's probably better to overdress but if I'm going somewhere for the first time I will spend an awful lot of time deciding what to wear so that I'm not too over or under dressed.

When you're over dressed then people will compliment you and you will feel good but when you are under dressed you'll just end up thinking about what you could have worn and feel bad.

I love getting dressed up anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

If you could win a €1000 voucher to be spent in one clothes shop only (or online clothes shop!) what would you choose? :)

• Advertisement

sar84 wrote: »
    If you could win a €1000 voucher to be spent in one clothes shop only (or online clothes shop!) what would you choose? :)

Easy. Modcloth. In fact, I already have over €300 of it spent in my head as I'm typing this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Have you any outfit that you look back on and think to yourself 'WHAT was I thinking'

What's the worst item you ever bought?

How long does it take you to get ready for work every morning?

Do you find that your job curtails your style? And if so what do you do to get around this?

Have you any outfit that you look back on and think to yourself 'WHAT was I thinking'
    Just a red and white polka dot boob tube when I was 18. Nothing since then has had me thinking that way, despite the fact that I started finding my style around that time.
    What's the worst item you ever bought?
    Besides the boob tube I mentioned above, I'd say it was a black strapless dress with a bit flower printed on it. It was knee length and had a bubble hem. It was actually a nice dress but the style didn't suit my body at all. I wore it out once and felt so uncomfortable in it that I had a rubbish night out.
    How long does it take you to get ready for work every morning?
    I like my bed far too much so I can be ready in 20 minutes. I don't really bother with make up any more unless I'm up early and I don't own a hair dryer so if I wash my hair it dries out on the way to work. Half an hour would be the longest I would spend.
    Do you find that your job curtails your style? And if so what do you do to get around this?

Not at all. I'm very lucky in that the school I work in has a fairly casual dress code. When I asked about the dress code I was told that I could wear anything really as long as I wasn't wearing a belly top or something like that. I was also told that one staff member had pink hair at one stage. I either wear dresses or jeans to work. I don't own a pair of work trousers. I don't own any shirts. My work wardrobe is also my non-work wardrobe. The one thing that I can't really wear to work is heels unless they are comfortable. I spend the day on my feet and I have to go between classrooms so I have to make sure my footwear is comfortable. Warmth is also important because we only ever have the heating on when we have a visitor. :rolleyes: And layers. Because when the heating is on it's too warm.

If I ever end up teaching in a school where I have to wear 'teacher clothes' I will be a very sad panda. :(

Pet fashion hate?

Do you wear much jewellery? And what would be your most expensive item?

How much do you put fashion before function? (Light jackets even in winter would be an example)

If you had to wear a style from a particular decade what would it be?

Pet fashion hate?

Uggs. Uggs that have been worn so much that people are walking on the side of them. Especially with tracksuit pants tucked into them.
    Do you wear much jewellery? And what would be your most expensive item?
    I don't wear jewellery. I make earrings but I don't really wear them. Jewellery tends to annoy me.
    How much do you put fashion before function? (Light jackets even in winter would be an example)
    Well I don't put 'fashion' before anything. I don't even know what's in fashion. But I think it's possible to look well while being practical. I think casual dresses and flat boots are great for doing this. I'm on my feet all day in my job so on the days I have the energy to dress well I will wear flat boots and dresses and am comfortable all day. Then you have days like today when I look like a hobo and it's all about the function. :D

Oh and my warmth is hugely important to me. There is no excuse not to look well even in the cold. There are some gorgeous coats, hats, scarves, gloves out there. I love my winter coat. I always feel great in it.

Style + function = win!
    If you had to wear a style from a particular decade what would it be?

1950s for the beautiful dresses. Fitted waists and flowing skirts. I also love the short short dresses of the late 60s and 70s.

• Advertisement

50's would be mine too. Just so elegant!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I love that yellow dress! So cute. Anyhoozin, here's a few questions!

Best thing you've ever bought?

Do you wear makeup? What are your must haves or favourites in the makeup bag? Any beauty tips to share!?

How long would it take you to get ready for a night out?

Fake tan: Yea or Nay?

Thank you in advance :)

Twee. wrote: »
    I love that yellow dress! So cute. Anyhoozin, here's a few questions!
    I'd live in it if I could!
    Best thing you've ever bought?
    3 things.

My brown flat boots from Schuh. I have had them for over a year and they are still perfect. I wear them nearly everyday.

A coat from River Island in a kind of pink/salmon colour. It's nice and bright and it has kept me warm these last few weeks. I think it looks really nice on too.

My Irregular Choice cat boots. I adore them. They are so comfortable and I can wear them with almost anything.
    Do you wear makeup? What are your must haves or favourites in the makeup bag? Any beauty tips to share!?
    I wear make up when I'm not too lazy to do so. Recently I've started to buy a lot more make up than I ever have before. I love Illamasqua foundation and lip gloss. I use a No. 7 concealer that covers everything. I love Benefit mascara in plum.

Tips? Put on a light layer of foundation. You can always build it up if it's too light. There's nothing worse than too much foundation. Also, it is ok to go out without make up on. People don't actually care!
    How long would it take you to get ready for a night out?
    I take very little time to get ready. I mean, it really doesn't take long to put on a dress and some make up. My hair doesn't need to be styled or anything, I just pat it down with my hands. I'd say I'm usually ready in 20 minutes. The longest I would take would be 40 minutes.
    Fake tan: Yea or Nay?
    Nay. I don't wear it. It takes too long. It smells. It's annoying. It generally looks crap. (Although I have seen it done well.) A friend of mine just left my house so that she could put on her fake tan for tomorrow. Her boyfriend is calling to her house for lunch and she doesn't want him to see how white she is. :confused: It's Ireland ffs. I think he knows that we don't get that much sun here.

I like pale. Pale is good.
    Thank you in advance :)

You're very welcome. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Love that dress. I'm a massive mustard fan (the colour!) and massive 50's fan too, but edging towards the rockabilly and boogie woogie side of things!

Are they any websites/style blogs you particularly like?

Magazines?

Or are you a people watcher :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

is there anything that you once said you'd never wear but in time fashion dictated that you'd wear it?

eg, shoulder pads

Are they any websites/style blogs you particularly like?
    I love looking at clothes so I look at the new arrivals on ASOS and Modcloth everyday. I'm not really into style blogs. I like looking at things that I can buy there and then. :D
    Magazines?
    I never go out of my way to buy magazines but if my boyfriend or housemate have bought the Times on Sunday I will flick through Style magazine. Tbh if I ever get a magazine I will go straight for the food section rather than the style sections.
    Or are you a people watcher :)
    This.

I always notice what people are wearing. I like seeing how people have put different items of clothing together. If I like something I will ask the person where they got it. It's a great way to put outfits together.
    JIZZLORD wrote: »
    is there anything that you once said you'd never wear but in time fashion dictated that you'd wear it?

eg, shoulder pads

Fashion smashion. I couldn't tell you what's in fashion now. (Apart from purple according to the 12 people who wore it to work last week.) I wear what I like. Whether it is in fashion or not is irrelevant to me. I don't have the time or the patience to find out what's in fashion or to find the perfect 'on-trend' outfit.

Individuality ftw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement