Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonid shower

Options
  • 16-11-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

If anyone is interested, we're going to have a Leonid meteor shower over the next couple of days... Scan the area of sky from the north-west to east.

The Leonid shower occurs each year when the Earth passes through streams of debris ejected by the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, which often leaves behind dusty trails as it passes through the inner solar system every 33 years. Earth will cut across the first such stream around 0900 GMT on 17 November, an event that is expected to produce dozens of meteors an hour. But the spectacle will reach its peak between 2100 and 2200 GMT, as Earth passes through two debris trails left by Tempel-Tuttle in 1466 and 1533.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hopefully we get a clear night. I found this on google...

061117_leonid_shower_hmed_9a.h2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Is this shower only visible from Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Nope... its world wide !

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Nope... not at all.. It's global. So if you can find yourself somewhere away from light pollution and a clear night.. it should be spectacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

not to mention away from cloud cover. must check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Or if any of you feel up to it, Seamus Byron from Astronomy Ireland is holding a Leonids Meteor watch on the morning of 18th at 1am in the front car park of Letterkennt IT.

WEATHER PERMITTING!!!

The shower is on for a few days if you don’t make it, so if you go out the night before & after you might see a few.
    But the 17th-18th is the main peak of the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

If anyone is interested, we're going to have a Leonid meteor shower over the next couple of days... Scan the area of sky from the north-west to east.

The Leonid shower occurs each year when the Earth passes through streams of debris ejected by the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, which often leaves behind dusty trails as it passes through the inner solar system every 33 years. Earth will cut across the first such stream around 0900 GMT on 17 November, an event that is expected to produce dozens of meteors an hour. But the spectacle will reach its peak between 2100 and 2200 GMT, as Earth passes through two debris trails left by Tempel-Tuttle in 1466 and 1533.

Thanks josey_whale, lets hope the weather improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Nope... not at all.. It's global. So if you can find yourself somewhere away from light pollution and a clear night.. it should be spectacular

I know, I was referring to the fact that you posted it in the Donegal forum rather than the A&S forum ;)

Unfortunately I am in Dublin, light is only one of the many forms of pollution here :(

I know, I was referring to the fact that you posted it in the Donegal forum rather than the A&S forum ;)

It was posted on the A&S forum. See here

I posted here, because, I know alot of the people on the Donegal forum are into the natural world and wouldn't necessarily be browsing the A&S forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not much hope of seeing it tonight anyway, hasant stopped raining once all day but Ill try and keep it in mind over the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Any particular time of night for best results?

muffler wrote: »
    Any particular time of night for best results?

Between 9 and 10 tomorrow night - apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Between 9 and 10 tomorrow night - apparently.
    Good man. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Unfortunately I am in Dublin, light is only one of the many forms of pollution here :(

Ah but you can take a walk round to Leinster House and see the most impressive shower on earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

well if someone walks from donegal to dublin fair play to them

or belfast in your case

Advertisement