Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming pc build, novice please help gurus!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KAYPEE

thanks lads, top job you have me sold ;) seeing as my knowledge is very limited im listening to you guys. so one more request solitaire please, could you link me to all these components on ebuyer, just incase i buy the wrong one lol, cheers :) oh an a compatible HDD too 500GB, everyone has been super helpful here thanks!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    OI! No, it is not. It is unreliable if you pump 1.7v into it and fry the CPU. If you use it normally, it is fine, just like how AMD chips explode when you massively overvolt them.

Price/Performance the P55 with an i5 750 is king of the hill atm, but AMD are cheaper and are cheaper for a reason.

A lot of guys here offer advice depending on what the builder wants, whether it be cheap, budget, total gaming,etc... but dude, recommending i5, 5850 and ebuyer for _every_ _single_ build is not good.

Apologies for going off-thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Leman is the one who dragged us offtopic, not you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

So what? I am supposed to recomend sub standard parts and outdated technology now?

Ok then, I'll make sure everyone I know gets HD4300s and Phenom Is from now on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

So what? I am supposed to recomend sub standard parts and outdated technology now?

Ok then, I'll make sure everyone I know gets HD4300s and Phenom Is from now on then.

You're supposed to recommend stuff that fits people's intentions and budget. Have a bit of cop in your posts man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You're supposed to recommend stuff that fits people's intentions and budget. Have a bit of cop in your posts man.

But that's boring :P

KAYPEE wrote: »
    well dudes, the reason i changed the PSU was when i was trying to diagnose the dead GPU ( pc was powering on but no boot, screen completely blank,fan on full and no lights on ram) so that made me think it was the PSU but obviously it was the GPU.
    so should i change back??

So lads the BIG question, Give me the best exact parts to buy for 300e, board,CPU,HD - thats good for gaming, and fairly future proof :) is the one youve posted above the best for me solitaire? would i be best off upping the athlon2 to a 3?

Well for the HD a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive goes for about €67 online and looks to be the next best thing to SSD's atm. Its also as much future proof as you will get for your budget imho.

I'll let the AMD mooks sort you out a CPU and MOBO :)

INTEL FTW :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Venom wrote: »
    Well for the HD a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive goes for about €67 online and looks to be the next best thing to SSD's atm. Its also as much future proof as you will get for your budget imho.

Why are you recommending the Samsung F3? Yes, its a fantastic Hard Drive, but it's far to new and effective. I have to recommend that you get a 10GB 5200rpm IDE Hard drive from 1999, as it seems we are only allowed to recommend outdated technology now.

Now you're just being pedantic. And childish. And tiresome. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Why are you recommending the Samsung F3? Yes, its a fantastic Hard Drive, but it's far to new and effective. I have to recommend that you get a 10GB 5200rpm IDE Hard drive from 1999, as it seems we are only allowed to recommend outdated technology now.

How old are you?

Can the mods ban hardware fanboy'ism by any chance, its bad enough to see gaming forums destroyed by it.....

• Advertisement

thanks for the input ;) why would you pick intel over AMD so ?? (hope im not opening a can of worms :o)

BeansBeans wrote: »
    How old are you?

Can the mods ban hardware fanboy'ism by any chance, its bad enough to see gaming forums destroyed by it.....

No, and why would I want to? Its good having more than one viewpoint, so long as...

... it doesn't get repetitive, stale and trollish. Then it fits under the Trolling bracket, which is a moddable offense (in severe cases). I'm just hoping Leman's having a bad day or something...

why would you pick intel over AMD so ?? (hope im not opening a can of worms :o)

If you have a super-de-dooper PC i7 (and to a lesser degree i5) can run rings around Phenom, that's why :) But for most users and especially most non-trust-fund gamers the new Intel platforms are just too big a jump in price when a much cheaper AM3 will help make the most of a game at a specific resolution. Why spend so much more to run a game at 80fps instead of 60fps? You can't easily see the difference with the human eye :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Why spend so much more to run a game at 80fps instead of 60fps? P

Just so nobody get confused, cause i read your post wrong the first time.

Just to clarify, getting an i5 over a Phenom II will not give you a boost in fps like 60 to 80.
    If anything it'd be more like 1 or 2fps/3-5% increase... (right?) game depending of course

Only using it as an example, although it could happen on some (very badly optimized) games running at 640*480 :P Most systems should be more GPU-limited in normal operation; the trick is speccing a CPU you can rely on to never even have the chance to CPU-limit FPS under any normal conditions.

which is a moddable offense (in severe cases).

You still banging on about Antec cases :P

thanks for the input ;) why would you pick intel over AMD so ?? (hope im not opening a can of worms :o)

Iv only ever used Intel and never had a issue with any of my system's so I stay with what I know works I guess :)

Also when I build a system for myself, its to last for at two years so I never limit the budget. Buy quality parts and you don't need to worry about them going bang and they can be re-used in future builds as its mostly cpu,mobo and ram that needs to be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I never limit the budget.

Good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

No, and why would I want to? Its good having more than one viewpoint, so long as...

... it doesn't get repetitive, stale and trollish. Then it fits under the Trolling bracket, which is a moddable offense (in severe cases). I'm just hoping Leman's having a bad day or something...

Thats kind of what i was saying with the reference to gaming forums. Theres a lot of them have just fallen into a competition of trolling. I don't care if someone loves their choice of product (whatever it may be) as long as they don't try to stuff it down everyones throat when its not needed.

Theres the thing on a lot of hardware forums if you dare to speak about anything besides a HAF or a lian li case your lynched. Its a nice haven here. :D

The forum here consists of a lot of genuinely very helpful people which is a great thing, it should be kept that way. (i lurked here for a few years, its like a comfy sock) :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Lol, having fun kaypee? :p

Well I already recommended an AMD setup, despite not having much love for AMD CPU's these days (I had 2 chips burn out on me - @stock, in different rigs - back when AMD were on top... thankfully Intel stopped kidding the world with their silly clock race and finally the conroe was born, I never looked back). I must put that previous experience down to bad luck and have to admit that in the sub 100 euro land AMD do offer mighty fine chips - for their price.

In regards to your gaming, Im surprised that you were playing CoD4 fine and yet CoD6 is going so poorly. They both use the same engine, altho yes CoD6 is an enhanced version but should perform relatively close. So either its down to playing it via the external drive, or if both games are on that then I guess you were right at the limit before hand and the nudge more power needed for the newer title has tipped you over the edge, down into stuttersvile :(

Anyway, Im sure you will have no bother sorting it out now and the AMD platform will do you just fine for gaming ;)

• Advertisement

lol yes lots of fun here :o

With regards to the games i Tranfered the game over to my internal HD and it is better, but still not very smooth when moving fast and changing direction we'll say.
    Im not a hardcore gaming enthusiast so like you said i dont really care what the FPS is once its smooth and plays the games well;)
    Anyway im going to start at this soon thats to you lads, Thanks very muh fro the help everyone, much appreciated ! :):) Im Sure il be back with more questions along the way lol :o thanks again

Advertisement