Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally offered job handed in notice - oops !

Options
  • 16-11-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I met with a prospective employer, had a great interview, was verbally offered the job.. received an email stating we have to confirm salary, etc etc, but that they hope I like working there and I handed in my notice. Not due to leave until Christmas to facilitate getting someone new and training etc and now I am having problems getting a written letter of offer from the other company.

I have been speaking with them and they asked could I start the 1st week in January, but I am a little freaked out as I don't want to leave until it is set in stone. My job don't want me to leave either - what should I do - I am the main bread winner and under serious stress now because of this - am I over reacting.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I wouldn't pester your new employer too much.

Even a letter won't set your position "in stone".

You're going to be "on probation" for a few months and regardless of that a company these days could easily just decide last in first out! and effectively until you've been with a company for two years there is very little legal recourse if you are let go.

Changing jobs means a loss of job security, but it's probably worth the risk, (if it wasn't a better position for you why apply?)

Also as your current employer is reluctant to let you go, you might even be able to go back if things don't work out.

Your main risk isn't not having a written job offer, it's how secure you will be in the new position.

Last year I had been offered a postion, which was withdrawn a few hours after I verbally handed in my notice, later heard that the company closed down. I eventually left a month later for a position that I'm still in, even though it appeared less secure than the job I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry, I don't quite see the problem:

Old company want you to stay until Christmas.

New company want you on the 1st week of January, which is conveniently a week after Christmas.

Granted you don't get paid for a week. But you've got four weeks to save for it, and hopefully you've got some leave for the old company to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You shouldn't have handed in your notice until a contract had been signed. Why won't they give you the offer in writing?

If it was me I would be extremely cautious - try and keep your options open with your current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I can sort of understand handing in your notice without a contract, as a contract wouldn't actually give you much more security - but why on earth would you hand in your notice without confirming the package?

Your current company want you to stay, and that's great - but how are you going to decide what to take if you don't know what salary you'll be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

Well I was right to be concerned, didn't work out and had to ask could I keep my old job. Eat huge amounts on humble pie and grovel like you have never seen. But yes, I still have my old job and a 10% cut to boot.

I went home licked my wounds and am back to work business as usual. At least I have a job :-).

Moral of the story to any one else -

DO NOT HAND IN YOUR NOTICE UNTIL YOU HAVE IT IN WRITING....

Thanks for responses, appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

You should stay with you current employer if the other company don't give you a contract to sign asap. Tell them you can't leave without seeing and signing a contract. Otherwise all you have is a verbal offer which is worth nothing.

How long are you with your current employer?
    Why did you decide to apply for this other job?

Advertisement