Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation robes

Options
  • 16-11-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Quick question about the robes. The webiste for the robe makers given to us by UCD seems very easy to use etc but I'm wondering if anyone else has used it before and if it's reliable?

Or is it best to go to the student center to be fitted by the robe makers in person?

Past experiences welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I phoned them up and ordered my robes a few weeks before, and then got them fitted on the day... Either works... Might be handier to call into campus the day before your graduation (if you're not on the first day) and get it then. It takes out all that hassle on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

when you guys say get them "fitted" what ya mean? sorry i just noticed that is done by height so is it not pretty easy to decide what size ya need?

It should be, but the first one they gave me was practically touching the ground so I had to go for a shorter one than they thought I'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I just ordered online, very good service - they'll send you an e-mail and also a text with the order number etc. Then went to UCD before the conferral and they told me which size I'd need; took about 2 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Is it true that lads don't wear the caps, only the robes, where as girls wear the caps and robes in UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Is it true that lads don't wear the caps, only the robes, where as girls wear the caps and robes in UCD?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Jev/N wrote: »
    Yep

SEXIST!!

Some girls choose not to wear them, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Quick question about the robes. The webiste for the robe makers given to us by UCD seems very easy to use etc but I'm wondering if anyone else has used it before and if it's reliable?

Or is it best to go to the student center to be fitted by the robe makers in person?

Past experiences welcome.

Thanks.

Apparently it is reliable but I just turned up on the day, went to the student center and got fitted in no time. Either way it's all good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Am I right in thinking the robe people will be in the college tomorrow? I presume I can just get sorted then. Do they give you the robe or do you just get fitted and collect it on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I'll be getting mine fitted on the day because my credit card is maxed out and can't remember the robe makers website :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll get mine on the morning of the Graduation. Is it a one size fits all kind of robe or are there various sizes?

I got mine today

It goes by your height. The woman just estimated my height and gave me a robe based on that !

I can't figure out how the yoke around the neck works though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm working tomorrow so hopefully there'll be no problems on Monday in getting one!

They won't be there tomorrow anyway ! It's just today AFAIK

Shouldn't be any problems getting it on Monday, I just wanted to get it outa the way

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Dave! wrote: »
    I got mine today

It goes by your height. The woman just estimated my height and gave me a robe based on that !

I can't figure out how the yoke around the neck works though :p

me either lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Did anyone get the hood as its known on correctly? I'm having a world of difficulty with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

In case anyone is having trouble with their robes look at this link and check page 17 http://www.mcginleygowns.ie/academicDressBooklet.pdf. Just a case of pinning it at the front and turning it inside out at the back. Looks kinda mad really. I had it like that and thought it was wrong until i saw that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I ordered mine online, aeons ago. I was a bit worried about one aspect of the robes, so I contacted them via e-mail. They responded pretty quickly and I was really satisfied with their help.

I went in on the day, picked them up and put them on. Thankfully I had a pin for neck thing, pinned it to my dress and it stayed in place. It was the most awkward part of the whole thing.

Didn't bother going to my masters graduation - once i'd worn the robes once, it was enough. No fuss, no mess.

Advertisement