Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambidextrous...sort of

• 16-11-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I have no idea which forum this should be in, I'll drop it here for now and the kommandants can move it as they see fit. :pac:

I'm not quite ambidextrous; I use different hands for different actions. I write with my left hand, but play guitar right-handed. If I'm at work, sawing timber for example, I'll use the right, but if I was cutting bread at home it would be the left. Weird eh?
    I know I'm not alone, I saw Billy Corgan of the band Smashing Pumpkins on youtube writing lyrics with his left hand while strumming the guitar with his right, so there must be a few of us yeah?
    I'd like a name or something that I could Google, so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Holmer wrote: »
    I'd like a name or something t

like a superhero name? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm a bit like that ... I'm mainly right handed, but as long as whatever it is doesn't require any really fine coordinated movement, like writing, or using a computer mouse I'm as happy using my left hand as my right.

My wife is left handed for pretty much everything, but uses a mouse with her right hand, and also plays guitar right-handed (although I think that was more down to having a right handed teacher who didn't know how to teach left handed pupils msyelf!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

on a serious note, i don't think there's a real nam for what your talking about. I think it's just partially ambidextrous

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

:D "Ambidextro?":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I'm right handed but eat crisps with my left hand and while peeing I also use the left. Plus while training in Martial Arts I use my left leg to kick with and I mount a bicycle by lifting my left leg.

Fair play to you for starting this tread as I'd like to know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Left handed writing.
    Right handed guitar.
    Left and right with a mouse depends how I'm feeling.
    Throwing stuff with my left.
    Everything else with my right.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Ambidextron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I believe is is called cross dominance. I am the same. People ask me what hand I am and I end up babbling on for about five minutes trying to explain. It seems I use my left for tasks which require dexterity and my right for power.
    Left Hand: Writing, Snooker, Fork,
    Right Hand: Throwing, Boxing, Golf, Guitar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Yeah I am the same, partial ambi... Most left handed people fall into this category I read somewhere, few are exclusively lefties. Apparently it stems from a mild form of brain damage!! I will try find the article I got it from and link it later... Left handedness has always had sinister connotations, I'm sure some Irish people of a certain vintage will remember teachers, especially the nuns and brothers, beating the habit out of them. I am open to correction here but I think the Irish word, citog, comes from the Latin word for sinister?? Found the link!!

http://www.linkshaender-beratung.de/english/Ambidextrous.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The majority of the human population is actually cross dominant to an extent. It's a fallacy to assume you are right or left handed purely on the fact that you write with one of those hands.

You'll usually find you can manage different activities with different hands. For example a lot of the people I know that claim to be left handed will use a PC mouse with their right hand. Also, people that are right handed have no issues with using a stick shift in their left hand.

The reason I know this is because I'm 100% left handed, living in a cross dominant world. It literally is a disability. I can't throw anything or coordinate my right hand. I have to get left handed mice for the PC. I need to keep everything I need to use, like keys, phone, wallet, on my left hand side.

It also makes me useless at sports, I literally do have 2 left feet. I tried football and gaelic for a while, but could not, for the life of me, force myself to volley or kick with my right foot.

Also, in regards to school beatings for left handed people, the reason is because this is a Catholic country and from the Bible everything evil was always on Gods left hand. The french word for "left" also means "clumsy" because left handed people where forced to write with their right hand so where, obviously, slow and clumsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Do you guys know that this is also a tell tale sign of dyslexia. I use both hands as well, write with my right but most other tasks are with my left. When I played football I was happy with either peg.

I'm also dyslexic any one else here who is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

can use both hands, even writing. not dyslexic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ambidextrous is latin for two right hands. Right is dextro and left is sinistro. So, being ambidestrous means you can use both hands equally skillfully.
    Now, pushing those facts a little we can imagine that being able to use both hands but not quiet as skillfully would imply that you have two LEFT hands so that would be ambisinister.
    Now I am incapable of plying a guitar with either hand, nor can I play tennis with either hand and to be honest I can't hit a golfball with a club in both hands. I mistype equally with both hands.
    I am Ambisinistro! I am the SuperVillian, the foil to Ambidextro. Bow down before my Kak-handedness

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I do everything with my right, but for some reason I find it easier to cycle with just my left hand on the handlebar than with just my right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I am like that. I write with my right hand however i use my left hand for a lot of other things including controlling the mouse on a computer and when using a knife.
    I did a lot of research and concluded that i am a cross dominant person like someone mentioned earlier in this thread. Its no big deal though.
    Some people are right handed by birth while others are lefties, there are yet some others like us who use both hands equally.

The interesting thing about me though is, i know for a fact that i was a complete right hander when i was born. As i grew older( to this day) i started to shift towards the right hand. I am not sure why this is. When i was 15 i used my right hand when using a knife. Now i cant use the knife with the right hand anymore. Looks like i will be a complete lefty when i die !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

994 wrote: »
    I do everything with my right, but for some reason I find it easier to cycle with just my left hand on the handlebar than with just my right.

Me too!!

i think its something similar to using the left hand for um... stuff with um.. ladies :o

i.e a gentler touch, i'd ****ing kill myself cycling with my right trying to judge the force applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

OldGoat wrote: »
    Ambidextrous is latin for two right hands. Right is dextro and left is sinistro. So, being ambidestrous means you can use both hands equally skillfully.
    Now, pushing those facts a little we can imagine that being able to use both hands but not quiet as skillfully would imply that you have two LEFT hands so that would be ambisinister.
    Now I am incapable of plying a guitar with either hand, nor can I play tennis with either hand and to be honest I can't hit a golfball with a club in both hands. I mistype equally with both hands.
    I am Ambisinistro! I am the SuperVillian, the foil to Ambidextro. Bow down before my Kak-handedness

I would dearly love to go around telling people I was ambisinister.

Advertisement