Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing furniture in a rented apartment

Options
  • 16-11-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Myself and my Girlfriend moved into a 1 bed apartment 2 months ago, fixed term 12 month lease through a property letting crowd. All is going swimmingly.

All furniture in the apartment is fine apartment from the couch, which is grubby, uncomfortable and at least 20 years old. (No joke!)
    I had asked for it to be removed before we moved in but the letting agency said no, as the owner had nowhere to store it. (A skip would be a good place!)

Anyway, we both want rid now, and have picked out a nice shiney, clean & comfy new couch.
    Can we insist the couch is removed?
    It really is an awful yoke altogether any I'm sure any reasonable person would see there is not much point in actually storing it!

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'm not sure if you can insist that the couch is removed. While some landlords would be willing to remove the couch, others may not as, if it is removed, it means that when you move out, they will have to replace the couch as I'm assuming if you buy the couch you've picked out, you would like to take it with you when you move?

That said, however, you could have a chat with the landlord (or Estate Agent) and ask them if they'd be willing to replace the couch. Was there any particular reason given by the Estate Agent as to why they wouldn't remove the couch?

I don't suppose buying a new throw and a few new cushions would make the couch any more comfy or presentable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Thicktights

You should not have moved in at all if you were not happy with the couch. You are now obliged to deliv er it up at the end of the lease. With all of the accomodation available now, there is no excuse for not holding out for what you want.

Advertisement