Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a seated hammock indoors

Options
  • 16-11-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I have had mixed opinions about this problem.

I have a seated hammock that i want to hang in my bedroom from the ceiling. Im just worried if the joist can take the weight.

I would be hanging it on some kind of swivel so it wouldnt get unscrewed from me moving around on it. Also it would be quite close to the wall (like 2ft or less) so i know it can take some extra weight because of this.

I had an idea of maybe splitting the weight between two beams.

I am 70 kilos bye the way so i would want it to hold about 80 .

Anybody got any ideas if this would be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,385 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there a floor over your roof or is just an attic?
    What size joist is used & is it a truss roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

Yes its a truss roof. Im not sure what the joist size is.

The house is a two story semi detched house. With two bedrroms so im not sure if there is a common size for these joists.

The floor above is the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

The_Seal wrote: »
    Yes its a truss roof. Im not sure what the joist size is.

The house is a two story semi detched house. With two bedrroms so im not sure if there is a common size for these joists.

The floor above is the attic
    If you take it that you can walk along the joists in the attic,then holding your weight shouldnt be a problem.And, your idea about spreading the load sounds good,but i wouldnt necessarily stop at two joists.You could easily cover 4 or 6.Just make sure your cross timber is heavy enough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

this is funny. indoor hammock hanging came up before.

if it the attic i would suggest to mount the hammock through a hole in the ceiling to a larger timber that spans the joists so the weight of the hammock is spread on many joists. it may also stop locallised movement at joists and stop cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The_Seal wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am 70 kilos bye the way so i would want it to hold about 80 .

Your fixings should be designed to hold at least 2 or 3 times that ie. factor of safety of 2 or 3. Unless you'll always gently ease yourself into it the mere act of sitting down would easily produce an impact load well in excess of 80kg. As said before, spread the load at each end across multiple joists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement