Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be Civil Unrest in Ireland??

Options
  • 16-11-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

As A private sector worker on three days a week employment, bringing home the princely sum of 1500 per week, and hearing the general bitching between public and private sector workers, evictions of folks who cant, not wont, pay their council rent-The planned charge for perscriptions of 50cent per Item, the jailing of a young man for 5 days because he didnt pay a parking fine, and on, and on and on- It seems to me that there is a bubble expanding, and it will soon burst.

But why should it burst?? We Irish have splinters from sitting on the fence over the last few years. We are afraid to do what must be done. If this was Fance, goverment buildings would currently be occupied by very different people. I believeit is time that The Whole Country take to the Streets on the 24th and then every day henceforth to show EXACTLY how we feel. Plus it should be done before the Unions jump on the Band wagon and congratulate thenselves for "showing the boys who is the boss" The Unions dont run this Country-we, the ordinary people do.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

OOOps, that should have been Monthly-apologies, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I don't see much action here.. plenty of people moaning but not doing anything about it!!! I doub't there will be civil unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

greenpilot wrote: »

I thought 1500 per week was alot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

As A private sector worker on three days a week employment, bringing home the princely sum of 1500 per week, and hearing the general bitching between public and private sector workers, evictions of folks who cant, not wont, pay their council rent-The planned charge for perscriptions of 50cent per Item, the jailing of a young man for 5 days because he didnt pay a parking fine, and on, and on and on- It seems to me that there is a bubble expanding, and it will soon burst.

But why should it burst?? We Irish have splinters from sitting on the fence over the last few years. We are afraid to do what must be done. If this was Fance, goverment buildings would currently be occupied by very different people. I believeit is time that The Whole Country take to the Streets on the 24th and then every day henceforth to show EXACTLY how we feel. Plus it should be done before the Unions jump on the Band wagon and congratulate thenselves for "showing the boys who is the boss" The Unions dont run this Country-we, the ordinary people do.:mad:

What will Civil unrest achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tapo

The government are happy if the private and public sectors are at each others throats.
    It is up to the government to repair the imbalances between these two groups in the budget, but can you see this happening

As a private sector worker I find it increasingly difficult to have sympathy for the cocooned public servants

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No.

tapo wrote: »

As a private sector worker I find it increasingly difficult to have sympathy for the cocooned public servants

Me too,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

tapo wrote: »
    The government are happy if the private and public sectors are at each others throats...

A lot of people have claimed this, or something similar, to be the case. I don't believe it. I don't see how the government would see any advantage in it, either in making it easier to deal with our crises or in improving its prospects in future elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I don't think there will be, but its hard to say.

My experience is that most people don't take any interest in politics, they just curse the economy or Fianna Fail or the bankers.
    That said, the first talk I've heard of actual violence being threatened from normal people on the street has been over this weekend about the teacher's strike.

The feeling I got was they expect politicians to be corrupt and to be creaming it, its a regular thing. But when the teachers are creaming it too, it strikes a bit closer to home, especially when so many people are struggling.

My guess is, if Cowen faces down the unions, there will be no unrest, but a lot of old teachers will retire due to pensions etc., meaning a lot of younger teachers will be happy. Just like we are seeing with the guards (more guards are retiring this year than the last several combined).

If Cowen submits to the unions and raises taxes to pay for them, then, I'd say there will be job losses, emigration and unrest.

What will Civil unrest achieve?

Change we can believe in.

A lot done, more to do...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Ha! I was like....whats his point, 1500 a week is pretty good.... :)

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Change we can believe in.

A lot done, more to do...............

What change, please elaborate?

Me too,,,,
    Agreed.

Unfortunately the unions think they run this country, they use bully tactics, are money grabbing and care little about those who DONT have an annual subscription to them! When they are holding sick people, students and ordinary civilians to ransom, it is hard for them NOT to be allowed run the country.

What change, please elaborate?

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Come on, what is your point. Convince me to take up the pitchfork!

Unfortunately most people are more concerned with what their country can do for them.

CamperMan wrote: »
    I don't see much action here.. plenty of people moaning but not doing anything about it!!! I doub't there will be civil unrest.

what would you suggest a singular person does?

Come on, what is your point. Convince me to take up the pitchfork!

I'd love to, but I was reading the history books last night and speaking with the oul fella.

A lot of what we're living through right now is just a repeat of history, just that its on a bigger scale this time.

e..g House boom in the 70s, crash in the 80s
    AIB have been bailed out countless times, for buying some insurance company that was bankrupt (we still pay levies on car insurance for this). Messing around with DIRT etc. Overcharging etc.

The Fas debacle is a carbon copy of its predecessor.

Even the politicians names are the same:D

Even get this, Stephen Ireland/Roy Keane. Both said the exact same things about amateurism and favouritism.

Honestly, If Dermot Morgan came down from the heavens tonight, he'd read the paper and say nothing has changed.

And as long as we are ruled from Dublin, it probably never will.

EDIT: For the simple people who think "ruled from Dublin" is an attack on Dubliners, it is a synonym for Irish rule.
    It has nothing to do with Cork being the Capital, please don't be naieve.

I'd love to, but I was reading the history books last night and speaking with the oul fella.

A lot of what we're living through right now is just a repeat of history, just that its on a bigger scale this time.

e..g House boom in the 70s, crash in the 80s
    AIB have been bailed out countless times, for buying some insurance company that was bankrupt (we still pay levies on car insurance for this). Messing around with DIRT etc. Overcharging etc.

The Fas debacle is a carbon copy of its predecessor.

Even the politicians names are the same:D

Even get this, Stephen Ireland/Roy Keane.

Honestly, If Dermot Morgan came down from the heavens tonight, he'd read the paper and say nothing has changed.

And as long as we are ruled from Dublin, it probably never will.

What do you mean by "as long as we are ruled from Dublin"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dannyboy83 is from Cork: isn't that explanation enough?

Dannyboy83 is from Cork: isn't that explanation enough?

Ah right so, the old green eyed monster is it? Ha ha not to worry. I ahve no doubt that the location of the government has nothing to do with it's inefficiency (and btw WHAT a ridiculous argumetn??) but sure there you have it. The resentment towards Dubs will always be there, for whatever reason.

Though has it crossed his mind that a lot of the ministers are form outside of the Capital? Would Brian Cowen somehow do a better job in Offaly??? P-lease.....

We have a population of 4m. Great recipe for cronyism, nepotisim, corruption not just in politics but in the guards and private businesses etc.
    Everybody knows everybody.

We have political dynasties. The sons of sons etc.
    In a parliamentary system like ours, its not actually possible for an outsider like Barrack Obama to come in.

Why did we never see anybody get jail for the Anglo stuff?
    Why does Roddy Molloy get a sweet deal, along with the regulator etc.
    Why do British politicians have to repay the expenses and John O Donaghue will probably be re-elected.

How do people like Willie O'Dea or Jackie Healy Rae actually get to be politicians? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

They re could but itll be by some group of extremists.

We have a population of 4m. Great recipe for cronyism, nepotisim, corruption not just in politics but in the guards and private businesses etc.

In a parliamentary system like ours, its not actually possible for an outsider like Barrack Obama to come in.

Why do British politicians have to repay the expenses and John O Donaghue will probably be re-elected.

How do people like Willie O'Dea or Jackie Healy Rae actually get to be politicians? :D:D:D

Are you actually saying these words? zzzzzzz

Are you actually saying these words? zzzzzzz

erm.................no, I'm writing them.

I can say them to myself as I write if you wish, but I have to admit, it'll feel a little funny.

erm.................no, I'm writing them.

I can say them to myself as I write if you wish, but I have to admit, it'll feel a little funny.

I think you know exactly what I mean, there is no need to interpret my expression of your idiocy like a simpleton (though you can if you wish)
    I am so not getting into a "we should be the capital" argument again.

Home now so goodbye...........!!!!!!!!!

I think you know exactly what I mean, there is no need to interpret my expression of your idiocy like a simpleton (though you can if you wish)
    I am so not getting into a "we should be the capital" argument again.

FPMSL:D:D:D:D

Is that what you thought my point was?
    That Cork should be the Capital?
    Are we back in primary school again?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Which of those people you are giving out about are from Dublin?

I think you'll find they're all boggers, apart from Obama, and he ain't exactly from Sherriff Street.

• Advertisement

Oh Sweet Jesus, give me patience...............

It has nothing to do with Dublin or Dubliners!

Advertisement