Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be Civil Unrest in Ireland??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

1500 a month on 3 days a week? I take home 1200 a month for 5 days a week. what do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Oh Sweet Jesus, give me patience...............

It has nothing to do with Dublin or Dubliners!

Hey, you brought it up, sneaky edit or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Looking outside and not seeing Zimbabwe I don't think there'll be any real civil unrest. Things are worse than they were a few years ago but it's not exactly the end of the world. The political issues we have aren't new, It's been the same for decades it's just they were ignored when times were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

dresden8 wrote: »
    Hey, you brought it up, sneaky edit or no.

Look dresden, just because your angry about having to take your paycut, doesn't mean you have a right to take it out on me.

That creates civil unrest;)

Point out the sneaky edit if you wish, the original post is quoted above, and I have specified in the original what the change is with the word EDIT.

Anyway, why is Cowen advocating reform of the public sector, but said nothing about Ministerial pay cuts, and the banks still got their 3%.

Its just more of the same, nothing really changes very much in this little country.
    Its just political dynasties and galway tents etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A lot of people have claimed this, or something similar, to be the case. I don't believe it. I don't see how the government would see any advantage in it, either in making it easier to deal with our crises or in improving its prospects in future elections.

Because divide and rule is a proven strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Because divide and rule is a proven strategy.

To achieve what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm more curious to see if there'll be civil unrest on the Pat Kenny TV show tonight.

I'm more curious to see if there'll be civil unrest on the Pat Kenny TV show tonight.

I almost forgot, thanks for the reminder.

10.35 on RTE 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dresden8 wrote: »
    Which of those people you are giving out about are from Dublin?

I think you'll find they're all boggers, apart from Obama, and he ain't exactly from Sherriff Street.

The most cunning, devious money-taker / scheister / economy-****er-upper of them all was from where, exactly ?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The most cunning, devious money-taker / scheister / economy-****er-upper of them all was from where, exactly ?

Son of a Corkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Best of everything comes from Dublin!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Son of a Corkman.

LOL, Both his parents were from Cork I believe.

Not that it has anything to do with this, LOL.

EDIT: Ahern is the youngest of five children of Con Ahern and Julia Ahern (née Hourihane), both natives of Co. Cork.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Ahern

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Best of everything comes from Dublin!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Too true, I was born in the rotunda;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

EDIT: Ahern is the youngest of five children of Con Ahern and Julia Ahern (née Hourihane), both natives of Co. Cork.

Give us your skilful, your cunning, your devious...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Too true, I was born in the rotunda;)

Fecking Northsider!

LMFAO:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rinty

There might me unconstructive civil unrest,the days of ideolgy are over;some say. With loyalty to the political dynasty's,dont be supprised if nothing happens.Absolute gangster politicions get turfed out ,yet their sons and daughters get elected with ease.No one gives a **** in this country. too bussy missing the 6 o clock news for expose.. The plain people of Ireland will blame the balcks and poles and everything except their grandads party.
    Last year in the swimming pool sauna,i heard a few men blaming the eastern europeans for the rise in car accidents. So their wont be civil unrest just attacks and KKK style bitching. As marx put it good old "false consciousness".

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

short answer is yes. Unfortunately we have a tiered society that is not even able to sustain itself. The other thing is that its not just Ireland that is in a bad way but also the entire world, the US think that they can just print money all day long.
    We have seen a bounce in the stock market but that is going drop again very soon, brace yourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Unfortunately most people are more concerned with what their country can do for them.

in ireland , most definatley , as david mcwillams said , we want danish public services with denver taxes , i dont want danish public services BTW , was refering to the majority , we like the nanny state in this country but dont want to pay for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

we also love to say, dont take mine take his, f.f. and the snots are using the old english tactic of divide and conquer, it seems to be working, our biggest problem is not the goverment, it is the limpy wristed opposition who have done nothing, or cannot do anything to remove them from office

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The day there will be unrest in this country is the day the dole cheques bounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rinty

with a scam like NAMA even an idiot like Enda Kenny can give the impression that he is leftist opposition,but just listen to the Rush Limbaugh show in the states even he sounds like a leftist complaining about the bailing out of the banks..Its a power game. These guys dont care about the state of society, they just want to be king of the castle. Musical chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

this is the bit that explains it all ...Ahern is the youngest of five children of Con Ahern. CON, no wonder he took it literally:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think the powers that be think there will be trouble alright.
    €300,000 spent on Irish Army riot kit
    By Don Lavery Exclusive

Sunday November 15 2009

The Army is gearing up to deal with possible public disorder on our streets.

The Defence Forces are to get new anti-riot equipment at a cost of €300,000. The new kit has been bought to protect soldiers who have to deal with rioters in Ireland or on peace keeping missions abroad.

But the equipment will only be used here when gardai are unable to cope with demonstrations and call on the Army for support. It will also be used in routine training for soldiers.

Asked if the equipment was being procured to cope with large-scale public demonstrations over government cutbacks and policies a Defence Forces spokesman said: "No. It's being bought to replace existing stocks."

He explained that the Army has a crowd control anti-riot role if needed but "since the Troubles we have had a stock of anti-riot equipment in barracks, its been that way since the Seventies".

"But, no, we have not been told to be ready for November 24," he said, referring to the the proposed national strike on that day.

The order, placed with Daniel Technologies of Dublin, includes protective knee and armpads, helmets and visors, while soldiers also have access to body armour, batons and shields. Enough material has been ordered to equip 500 soldiers.

The equipment will be kept in barracks near locations where public order disturbances could break out. These are likely to include the Dail, the border and Shannon Airport. The last order for such equipment was in 2000.

Tender documents show the order was for the "supply of public order blunt trauma personnel protective equipment for use in public order, crowd and riot control operations at home and abroad".

Training in such equipment was put to the test in March 2004 when riots broke out in Kosovo and Irish soldiers were praised by KFOR for their role in containing the violence.

Soldiers were backed up by Irish Mowag armoured vehicles, while sniper/spotter teams with AI 96 sniper rifles in overwatch positions protected them against gunmen among the rioters.

Taken from here

I was also talking to someone at the weekend who is involved in working with the defense forces and he confirmed that they are doing an awful lot of crowd control training at the moment. Interesting times ahead methinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well does anyone think that the government will actually listen to anything else?

I don't. I think that like always they will act only when it affects them.

They have created this situation where the main players responsible for the corruption and bankrupting the country not only get away scot free, but in many cases get huge payoffs and platinum pensions. cf O Donoghue and this Danish politician. And that's before we even get to the mother of all corruption and scams that is NAMA.

The govts constant refusal to even acknowledge their part in the scam that went on over the last 8 or 9 years, and the likes of Seanie Fitz and Fingers Fingleton et al walking around hard necked as ever is not only sickening to normal people but decreases the legitimacy of the state and the rule of law IMO.

Some may think I'm over reacting but I am serious, the government have actively created this vaccuum and God only knows what will happen. We could easily have a situation like the troubles where the state ruled without the consent of a large section of the population.* Does anyone really want to see that, I don't. But if there isn't an election or regime change sometime soon I can see that happening.

PS I really like that last sentence in the article, you know the one about sniper teams. Talk about veiled threats. This situation reminds me of the likes of Eastern Bloc countries just before the wall came down. Best case scenario is Czecheslovakia, or else it could be Romania.

*Don't forget that one of the reasons the gardai aren't armed is because they operate with the consent of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

gandalf wrote: »
    I think the powers that be think there will be trouble alright.

Taken from here

I was also talking to someone at the weekend who is involved in working with the defense forces and he confirmed that they are doing an awful lot of crowd control training at the moment. Interesting times ahead methinks!!

I wonder if one of the government's worries is if it can rely 100% on the Gardai or Army if there are mass strikes or civil unrest (see my crazy speculation).

Watching the Gardai marching through Dublin last week couldn't have been a happy experience for them.
    The head of the army union has also stated that soldiers shouldn't be used to break strikes. Now of course soldiers cannot refuse a valid order but still, not a good sign.

I can't recall anything like this ever happening in the UK for example.
    During the miner's strike the Police were pretty enthusiastic at confronting the miners and were largely supporters of Thatcher.

In the UK I don't see the solidarity between Police, Firefighters, Nurses and Civil Servants that we have in Ireland.

For example members of UK Police Forces often refer to the Fire Service as "The Red Menace" referring to the politics of their union leaders as well as the colour of their vehicles.

But then I suppose the UK government hasn't had to attempt to cut Public Sector pay the way the Irish government now has to.

For the Gardai, being tasked with breaking up mass demonstrations or strikes by civil servants will be massively different from anything they've done in recent history.

Battling against assorted hippies and ne'er-do-wells who hate your guts isn't the same as using your baton against Mary-the-Nurse who lives two doors down, Niamh-the-teacher who's engaged to your cousin and Jimmy-the-Farmer who played hurling with your father, especially as you agree with the aims of Mary, Niamh and Jimmy anyway!

Comparitively, the Gardai are still among the best paid in the country, even post pension deduction, post levies past or forthcoming.

2007 wage Graph courtesy of Scofflaw:
    http://ronanlyons.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/salary-by-sector-2007.png

Also, Gardai are not allowed to strike.
    If you noticed the protesting Gardai were wearing baseballs caps, this is because uniformed Gardai are not allowed to strike.
    If they receive an order, they have to obey.

Lastly, its not necessarily the most transferable skill, comparative to other public sector occupations and I would wager the Gardai, aside from giving up a well rewarded occupation and the chance of rapid promotion now that so many Gardai are retiring, would feel it morally wrong to stand aside while society turns on itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

gandalf wrote: »

Whoever told you that is pulling your leg.

There has been no more Public Order training done than there would be every other year.

PS I really like that last sentence in the article, you know the one about sniper teams. Talk about veiled threats. This situation reminds me of the likes of Eastern Bloc countries just before the wall came down. Best case scenario is Czecheslovakia, or else it could be Romania.

Veiled threats?

The article merely mentioned how the situation on the ground was dealt with on the day of the Paddy's Day riots in Kosovo. That involved Public Order Platoons and fire support from Sniper teams because the Platoons faced rioters as well as coming under fire... Unfortunately our shields aren't bullet proof, so the Sniper teams were needed.

BTW, the DF has no Union. We'll be used to fill the gaps caused by the PS strike on the day because obviously enough, we can't strike. The head of PDFORRA was talking out of his arse and has since been put firmly back in his box by Wille O' Dea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i have the feeling there will be,some pig ignorant servants with their big pay package and pension will refuse to take a cut unlike an person in the private sector who gave years of service would be told to take a cut or be replaced by cheaper worker,as i hear they are planning to cut welfare and bring more people into the tax net,way i see it its going to be hitting the VUNERABLE AGAIN plus more taxes on the private sector worker to keep the public sector happy so to keep their support for the coalition...

Advertisement