Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be Civil Unrest in Ireland??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

baalthor wrote: »
    I can't recall anything like this ever happening in the UK for example.
    During the miner's strike the Police were pretty enthusiastic at confronting the miners and were largely supporters of Thatcher.

Ah but the coppers made an absolute fortune out of the miners strike.
    They were often moved from the South to deal with those awful striking northerners so they hadn't much in common with the striking miners.

Here it is a much smaller country and everyone knows everyone nearly.
    There is a good chance a relative, a friend, a neighbour is on the picket or demonstration that they have to deal with.

baalthor wrote: »
    For the Gardai, being tasked with breaking up mass demonstrations or strikes by civil servants will be massively different from anything they've done in recent history.

Battling against assorted hippies and ne'er-do-wells who hate your guts isn't the same as using your baton against Mary-the-Nurse who lives two doors down, Niamh-the-teacher who's engaged to your cousin and Jimmy-the-Farmer who played hurling with your father, especially as you agree with the aims of Mary, Niamh and Jimmy anyway!

Yes it is definetly easier to charge or shove around the ones protesting down in Rossport, since sure they are ony hippies or a few local nutjobs. :rolleyes:
    Correct it is also very easy to take on the ones that are sinners or inner city ne'er do wells that rioted on O'Connell St.

It has been noticable how they have dealt with farmer protests and how the farmers have now managed to get quiet close to clowen for instance at road opening in Galway, at ploughing championship or at ffer think in (I know not great term to use for it, since they haven't the capability) in Athlone.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement