Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get headlights aligned?

• 16-11-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend a place in Dublin that will do a proper job of aligning my headlights.I went to fast fit and payed 30 euros to have it done only to fail the nct test 2 days later because they weren't aligned properly.Advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd just go back to dast fit, lose the head and get them to pay up for the re-test!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi there

Friend of mine does this, but FYI.
    You may have had them alligned correctly, but in the intervening 2 days after they may have moved again based on driving and road surface etc.

DT Motors
    Ringsend
    6683158 Ask for Dave

Chef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

chef wrote: »
    Hi there

Friend of mine does this, but FYI.
    You may have had them alligned correctly, but in the intervening 2 days after they may have moved again based on driving and road surface etc.

DT Motors
    Ringsend
    6683158 Ask for Dave

Chef
    After having it done if fast fit I just drove home,5 minute drive and didn't use the car again until i went to the NCT test.They botched the job completely.Should i be entitled to a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

todolist wrote: »
    After having it done if fast fit I just drove home,5 minute drive and didn't use the car again until i went to the NCT test.They botched the job completely.Should i be entitled to a refund?

I doubt they'll give you a refund but they may repeat the allignment free.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I doubt they'll give you a refund but they may repeat the allignment free.
    I want to ask for a refund because they botched the first job so I'd hardly have any confidence in them trying to get it right a second time.I just want to go somewhere that i can be sure will do a good job so I can pass the NCT test.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alsoi bear in mind that it may have been the NCT at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

I aligned mine myself for my last NCT. I knew they were out, and figured the car would fail on something subjective like not having the correct smell, so figured it'll probably need to go in for some work anyway.

Found a guide on the internet, and armed with some measuring tape, some chalk, a long plank, a spirit level, and a flat peice of ground with a wall, it was easier than I thought it would be, and the car didn't have any issues in the test.

It's easy to do, and pretty intuitive when you see the throw on the wall what's going to be good and whats going to be bad.

kbannon wrote: »
    Alsoi bear in mind that it may have been the NCT at fault.
    Nah,it wasn't NCT people at fault.I actually tried the car this morning in the dark.Parked the car about 20 feet away from the wall and I could actually see how far out the passenger side headlight was out.I cant believe they cant do a simple job like that.I'm really angry because I'm 58 euro down and I have to get the job done again and go back to have the test done again.

tmcw wrote: »
    I aligned mine myself for my last NCT. I knew they were out, and figured the car would fail on something subjective like not having the correct smell, so figured it'll probably need to go in for some work anyway.

Found a guide on the internet, and armed with some measuring tape, some chalk, a long plank, a spirit level, and a flat peice of ground with a wall, it was easier than I thought it would be, and the car didn't have any issues in the test.

It's easy to do, and pretty intuitive when you see the throw on the wall what's going to be good and whats going to be bad.
    I might try that myself.Can you remember what website you used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Magnus wrote: »

Yeah, use the technique but don't use the measurements shown in the 4th diagram 'cause they're no good for Ireland. Look at pg 31 of the NCT manual for the correct settings.

From my calculations for an average car, at 7.62m the light cut-off should be between 6mm-26mm (0.5°-2°) below horizontal and between 0mm-26mm (0°-2°) to the left of headlight centre.

I'm off down to fastfit to ask for the refund.Tell you how i got on later.Thanks for the info on doing it yourself.I will get a garage to do it and check the results myself with the info you guys have given me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I had this happen to me previously. Garage were all apologies and just redid the job again and the car then passed the NCT - although I think I had to pay a re-test fee which I wasn't happy about.

These days I just do it myself.

Said they would give me a refund.The guy took my details and said he'd call me tomorrow.We'll see! TBC

Fastfit held their hands up an admitted they messed up the job.One of their guys did the headlights with the setting at 3 instead of o.They admitted it.Refunded the cost of the alignment and the test fee and did the headlights again and it passed the NCT.They were very reasonable about their mistake and the refund is much appreciated.Fastfit,all is forgiven!

Advertisement