Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom producer needs track finished! What to do?

• 16-11-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a progressive / ambienty sort of mellow trance track 95% done, and I think I need a producer to sit down with and just polish it up to finish it.

My problem is that although I am a middling good musician, my production skillz are self taught and rather lacking and i want to get a 'professional' sound to my tune but I havent got the studio or production skill or know how to do that.

I am not talking about spending a grand having Timbaland working on it for a month or anything, I would say an hour or two in the home studio of someone with a bit of experience will work wonders just to get it polished and mastered or whatever it is you crazy kids get up to in your studio with your eye tunes and your crack cocaine and what not.

Suggestions?

*Edit

I put it up on myspace and would be interested to hear what you think

http://www.myspace.com/vforce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Sounds a bit more like a rock track to me. It sounds good though. I like the vocal loop you've got going.
    What exactly is wrong with it as far as you're concerned? I only listened on headphones but it probably needs tightening up in the bottom end. Not sure the kick you've got fits the track. It's also a little bit long.
    If you don't have any friends who do this sort of thing, one option you have is send it to a good mastering engineer and tell him the type of sound you're going for. He may give you some advice on the mix before he works on it.
    It will cost you some money though but it's often a good education.
    If you don't want to do that just work on more tracks and learn as you go, read articles online and read your software manual and you'll find the more experience you have the more your mixes will improve.
    Listen to your "finished" tracks on different stereos and ipods and in cars and that will give you an idea of what it will sound like in the real world.
    Oh, and consume lots of crack cocaine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Yeah, if you are going for club sound it needs to be tightened a lot around the drums and the bass line.

Its composed well, but one thing that is I felt immediately was that you're pretty much using presets (or fairly close to them). I think in order to make the track stand out its really necessary to move away from presets and basically get stuck into sound design for a while, because this is what differentiates you from other artists more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Thanks a lot lads that is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.

@Vinylbomb I am actually not really going for a club sound per se, but I know what you mean about the bottom end needing tightening.

And I fully agree about the presets, you're bang on there. It's in this department I am lacking I think.

@gsparx Glad you like the loop, it's me singing gibberish in harmony with myself arranged in a 'canon'! And you're not the first person who said it's too long.

Gonna talk to a few more people and probably sit down with somone at some stage and see what they can show me.

Advertisement