Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

computer problems

• 16-11-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine got a old computer second hand. He wants to use it for the Internet with 3 broadband however it's very slow

1) whoever he got the computer of used bt software for connecting to the interment but as he doesn't use bt anymore I uninstalled however it's still there and every time you try to use google it trys to connect to bt again
    2) it's only USB 1 will it make any difference if I change it to USB 2? Will it effect the Internet speed?
    3) the speed on the broadband mobile is 3 mps. Is that too slow to use?
    4) will taking norton av of it and and putting on act instead speed it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Bob Z wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a old computer second hand. He wants to use it for the Internet with 3 broadband however it's very slow

1) whoever he got the computer of used bt software for connecting to the interment but as he doesn't use bt anymore I uninstalled however it's still there and every time you try to use google it trys to connect to bt again
    2) it's only USB 1 will it make any difference if I change it to USB 2? Will it effect the Internet speed?
    1) That's an old connection setting, go to Start > Run > Type "inetcpl.cpl" and press OK > Connections > Select any connections in the top box > Remove > Yes > Apply > Ok.

2) AFAIK, some computers who use USB1.1 can have problems with the Mobile Broadband adapters, theoretically it won't slow the internet down (USB 1.1 has a maximum speed of 12Mbps) but compatibility of the adapter might be an issue.

3) No that's fine for basic broadband and light downloading (definately not for gaming or VOIP because of it's poor latency).

4) Yes, getting rid of Norton will always be an improvement. I suggest AVG as your Anti-Virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1. Right-click on explorer and look in the "connections" section.
    Also type "msconfig" in the run box (Near the Start button when pressed) and press enter.
    A window will pop-up. 4th (I think) tab across, look in the Start-up section and see if any of the items there refer to BT - if so, untick them.

2. Not really on some cases - also depends on the age of the CPU/motherboard/etc.
    3. No, fine for lite to medium use. Video and sound over the net needs all it can get though. For both combined more would be better in the long run.
    4, BIG BIG time. AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials (also free and in my opinion, better) would help a lot.

PS: Have a look at this thread about security: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055741120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Thanks for the replies. Another strange thing is when it starts up it freezes on the welcome screen until you press control alt and delete. There isn't that much software on but would it worth it to reinstall windows?

Thanks for the replies. Another strange thing is when it starts up it freezes on the welcome screen until you press control alt and delete. There isn't that much software on but would it worth it to reinstall windows?
    Yes definately, your computer will greatly benifit of the speed improvement of a new install.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Yes definitely, your computer will greatly benifit of the speed improvement of a new install.
    I agree. Spot on.
    Don't forget to note names/specs of installed internal devices though - for any extra drivers you might need that might not be with the installation cd.
    (just in case!)
    Another strange thing is when it starts up it freezes on the welcome screen until you press control alt and delete.

ALSO for that keyboard problem see here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Is 3 Mbs fast enough for online poker?

Is 3 Mbs fast enough for online poker?
    Yes perfectly fine for it.

Advertisement