Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilmore opposed to pay cuts for public sector

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

murphaph wrote: »
    The electorate would return FF if they saw them cutting 10%+ off the core pay of ALL public servants and perhaps 15% off all public servants earning over 100k.

The PS workers who kept them in power for so long wouldnt so I dont know where they make up for losing that block of voters, but I take your point. Never gonna happen though

Everyone needs to be hit, including the unemployed. Those on over 100k per year obviously need to be hit as well.

Hitting the NEWLY unemployed is unfair. Its a double whammy at a time when many are really feeling the hardship of the situation. I will never defend the long term unemployed, many of whom are just lazy wasters.

If the public sector would just accept core pay cuts there'd be no need for any of them to be put on the dole. The problem is each individual in the public sector wants to keep his full salary and wants some other poor sod to get fired so he can keep it.

If they were actually presented with the option job losses or pay cuts then I am sure they would except pay cuts. Unions do this all the time in the private sector. It has to be a hard choice thoug with no room for compromise. Again never happen. No Govt would be strong enough

Nothing. Shed no jobs, just cut pay by a minimum of 10% this year and we'll see again next year about another cut. Same staff. Same services. Lower pay. Same as in the private sector when your employer is in big trouble.

10% would be far too much for one year, considering the cuts in take-home pay they have already been subjected to.

Our situation is so serious that big cuts do indeed need to be made now. Not next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

K-9 wrote: »
    You have to add on the income levies of 4 and 6%. They are calculated on total pay unlike normal tax rates.

While I dont know for sure, I dont think they are seeking to remove them so the yield would be higher as per your original point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Any one think of reducing the work week to a 3 day. /job sharing. You still have a job not making full money and the Gov still gets a take. The same could be done with public servants. When things improve the benefits lost could be phased back in. There will have to be some incentive or this ongoing never ending over and back will never end.

Advertisement