Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin N1 Vision Modem Router *return to sender*

• 16-11-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Got a Belkin N1 Vision Modem/Router and after 1 day of constant dropped connections (wireless and adsl) it's going back in its box and is being returned.

Had a belkin 54g modem/router. Whatever increase in speed you get with the N1 vision is by far outweighed by drastically reduced reliability.

And... even when you set the DHCP lease time to "Forever" it still changes the IP address of some machines playing havoc with file shares and remote desktop connections.

Unless, that is, someone can tell me if there's a magic firmware upgrade (can't even find the model on the belkin site) or, magic settings that will make it all better???

Can someone recommend a relaible N1 alternative? I'm not fussy. I just want it to keep wireless and adsl connections and obey "forever" dhcp assisgnments!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

di11on wrote: »
    Got a Belkin

There's your problem, right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

jor el wrote: »
    There's your problem, right there.

Apparrently... although the 54G modem/router worked fine... relatively speaking at least!

Can you recommend a good reliable N1 modem/router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't know of any, but whatever you do, I'd avoid Belkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

jor el wrote: »
    Don't know of any, but whatever you do, I'd avoid Belkin.

I have the DLINK DIR-855 and it works great for me, no matter how much load I give it it never disconnects/drops. Is a bit expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Unless your laptop has a n wireless card there's no point buying a n router. As has already been said, avoid Belkin. I'd recommend Linksys

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Belkin is complete rubbish and the best technical fix for any crap caused by a Belkin is either a hammer or a bucket of water .

They are the Alba of networking , cheap nasty cack of the highest order :(

Can we rename this thread to

"Belkin Is Complete Rubbish So Don't Ask Any Questions About Them Here"

and sticky it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Got a N1 Vision last year and my lord what a POS! Really! It crashes at least once per pay or if you connect more than one wireless device at a time.

Filled out a RMA to return it and heard nothing back, lol they don't even want it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

god's toy wrote: »
    Got a N1 Vision last year and my lord what a POS! Really! It crashes at least once per pay or if you connect more than one wireless device at a time.

Filled out a RMA to return it and heard nothing back, lol they don't even want it!

You got your money back though?

You got your money back though?

Funny thing is only a day after my post here I received an email from belkin support.
    They said they would replace the router under the lifetime warranty so i'm seeing how that pans out.

Yep I know I'm probably going to get another doggy router but we will see I guess.

Got an email this morning from Belkin support saying if I return the modem they will send me a Belkin F5D8635 and an additional 5-Port Gigabit Switch (F5D5141) as a replacement

I said 'yea sounds ok'

We will see I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've owned a few lemons. I specifically remember a Belkin 802.11g router / ADSL modem POS that dropped connection at least once a day; I thought that was par for the course with modem / router combos until I ended up getting a D-Link DSL-2640B that worked 100% without an issue for about the last 3 years. Reserved IPs, perfect wireless performance, rock-solid ADSL connection, no-hassle port forwarding. Until some iffy wiring fried it.

I've now upgraded to the DSL-2740B that works just as nicely, except now it works with all our laptops at wireless n speeds. Despite not having gigabit ports it operates at at least twice the speed of the old network. As it turns out, all our laptops have wireless-n capable network cards. It all works super sweet, and the ADSL connection is still rock solid. Totally recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't open the Belkin box, put it up on Ebay straight away and buy a better one like a Linksys

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Don't open the Belkin box, put it up on Ebay straight away and buy a better one like a Linksys

Lol think you may be right! The Gigabit Switch would be fine to use I think.

I've now upgraded to the DSL-2740B that works just as nicely, .
    Cool I'll keep a look out for it :)

Advertisement