Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question Regarding RAM for New Netbook..Which of These 2 Will Work Better?

• 16-11-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My HP Mini 311 arrived this morning.

Want to upgrade the stock 1Gb Ram to 3Gb (it has a spare slot)

Crucial recommends either:

Module Size: 2GB
    Package: 204-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR3 PC3-8500
    Specs: DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

or

Module Size: 2GB
    Package: 204-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
    Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

Problem is I cannot tell which one is in the HP 311, no mention of it on HP website etc.

This is the netbook in question:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_client=S-A-R4155-1&h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=4033847&lang=en&tmp_track_link=ot_we/prodlink/en_us/4033847/loc:0

I'd appreciate any advice with this. Was thinking I'd just get the DDR3-1333 one but does the higher CL value mean both will run at that if the 1gb bit is DDR3-1066 (CL vaule of 7)

Needless to say, I don't have a clue about this, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats odd because the HP site says the mini model you linked has a max capacity of 1gb. But the manual says its 1gb on-board :confused: Plus 1 Customer accessible upgrade slot (up to 1x2gb on the mini 311). What an odd configuration.

Id match whatever speed your existing ram is, but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the reply.

It can take 3Gb alright, just don't know what is in there already.

I wont have access to small tools to open it till later in week, was hoping to have the RAM to install by then.

Is there any other way of working out what is in there?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

CPUZ will tell you what ram you got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It has XP home, adding ram is really pointless unless you change the OS to pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭acidburn51737

Not sure but you should probably add just another 1gb stick in it. I always match my memory coz it didnt go well for me when i put in two different sizes at the same time. Just my two cents

• Advertisement

blobert wrote: »

where did you buy this as a matter of interest?

Advertisement