Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Upgrade | 4 x 1GB, 2 x 2GB or 1 x 4GB?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    For the best performance, I'd go with 2 x 2GB or 4 x 1GB. Just make sure all the sticks are identical, dump the 512MB already in there. Going for multiple modules (in multiples of two up to four, only) would enable them to work in dual-channel mode, so they'd need to be identical modules (kits preferred).

If I was making the decision, I'd buy the 2 x 2GB. This leaves the other two DIMM's free for expansion, should that even be worthwhile down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Condi wrote: »
    No laughing necessary. :)

You were right the first time. One in each channel. Slot 1 and 3 for the first two modules. It won't dual-channel the modules otherwise.

Just be 100% sure of the modules' compatibility with the motherboard. Check the current stick, it'll be written on a sticker at the back what the RAM type is. That's a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Get 2 x 2GB for sure. 4 x 1GB is lower performance and FUBARs any upgrade plans, while 1 x 4GB requires a 2nd morgage ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You should of ordered from www.memoryc.com they'd have it to you (if you're in the location in your profile) in two days, one if you were in a major urban area.

Anyhow... To the people who say leave slots free for future expansion... How can a board that can only address 4Gb of RAM address more than that even with free ram slots??? Think about it!

OP Are you sure the motherboard can address DIMMs bigger than 1 Gb as that is prob its limit

Yeah bang them off a mail and ask them to change the order or otherwise just RMA it and order a fresh.

Yeah I thought people were missing the point that you were maxing the RAM, still I might be wrong*

MC

* Never happened before ;)

• Advertisement

Advertisement