Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

Options
  • 16-11-2009 5:41pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

To avoid confusion with thread for last weekend, I thought new thread is warranted as models are indicating potential of very unsettled weather.

Mods feel free to change title as appropriate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

roryc1 wrote: »

That's (hurricane) force 12 sustained wind shown on that chart for Dingle! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

WOW I have never seen a chart like that before, surprised that Met Eireann would not be giving this a mention its on all the weather boards that I checked today. I think the amauter forecasters are more alert than our own guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    WOW I have never seen a chart like that before, surprised that Met Eireann would not be giving this a mention its on all the weather boards that I checked today. I think the amauter forecasters are more alert than our own guys.

Remember that this is 5 days out and the GFS is notorious for downgrading systems as time goes by. Also this run is more intense than the previous run. The 18Z may not look so severe, still a long way off...but still, very much worthwhile keeping an eye on this, it has the potential to be dangerous.

look's like i'm off to dingle for the weekend, :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

A visual representation of this potentially nasty saturday storm.

This is just a guide to what models are trendingat the moment.

All will change so just a heads up.

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really too far out to be mentioning at this stage - Met E have be burnt before, boy crying wolf, etc. - things could change dramaticlly.

Just looking at http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ if you click on specific stations you get forecast. At the moment, based on models, they are also forecastion 74mph sustained (hurricane) force 12 for M2 bouy just off Dublin coast and for sustained storm force 10 over Dublin! If that came off it would be serious!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    To avoid confusion with thread for last weekend, I thought new thread is warranted as models are indicating potential of very unsettled weather.

Mods feel free to change title as appropriate.

Just a suggestion but maybe the title should include the 19th too since it looks like it will get pretty windy in parts on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hmmmm.....I find that forecasts for out little spot are not much use further than two days ahead.
    Would wait untill Thursday before batting down the hatches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Not sure why you lads keep getting caught.
    We have all seen this numerous times and it never actually happens.I want to see 200mph winds, but I also don't want anyone to be hurt.:D

• Advertisement

Yeah still to far out gfs can be funny, the met boy saw the last storm about a week out, ok it moved and hit england instead

Not sure why you lads keep getting caught.
    We have all seen his numerous times and it never actually happens.I want to see 200mph winds, but I also don't want anyone to be hurt.:D

Not too sure anyones getting caught. if anything your caught when your not expecting anything because one of these days a storm will carry out its forecasted threat.

One thing to remember lads is that this is just being predicted by one model at the moment. The Euro does not show this weekend storm at all yet. Id be more worried if we saw couple of models showing the same thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Met Eireann have a duty to be objective and informative since they are the official state meteorological organisation. That gale the GFS is showing currently is not confirmed or supported by other NWP models. That does not mean it will not happen but it is far too soon and too unreliable to be causing unnessecary panic at this stage which is where Met Eireann is probably coming from.

maquiladora makes a very good point!
    You know what I mean we all get our hopes up and them poooof it's gone. But don't worry the storm wn't catch anyone off guard as they will forecast it if it is really happening or not.
    More likely this doesn't happen as usual.But if it does your a genius for reporting it so early :)

poooof it's gone. :)

And we have the devil amongst the usual suspects:D

haha :D

sq313l.png

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Doubt very much this will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

That looks broke, it's heading off the scale :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The week leading up to this storm potential is also not without interest. There is the possibility of strong winds and spells of persistent heavy rain at times between tomorrow night and Friday as frontal waves cross near or over Ireland.

Lastest ECM for this coming Thursday noon shows one such developing wave of the SW coast:

091116_1200_72.png

If it pans out as forecast, it looks like November 2009 could end up being extremely wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Met eirann showed that developing frontal wave on the forecast earlier. Looks like it has alot of rain in it. Was looking forward to last weekend and we all know what happened:rolleyes: But even a scaled back version of the above wind predictions would be noteworthy. Can you imagine if the above model came off though. After all the rain this month, trees would fall like dominos. Night of the big wind 2 anyone;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

sq313l.png

:eek:

if that happens (it probably won't) a lot of damage in Dublin as well as the South and South East

patneve wrote: »
    if that happens (it probably won't) a lot of damage in Dublin as well as the South and South East

Even though those forecasted 850 winds are a kilometre and a half up in our troposphere,that should correspond to surface winds of 40+

ECM is maybe hinting at something too
    ecmslp.120.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay, well I predicted this thread would happen ... now as to the storm ???

The GFS trend to a closer track is the usual GFS prelude to setting up the eventual track even further east. However, the consensus of ECM and GEM says either weaker or later (GEM shows quite a strong low taking most of Saturday to come together around 20 W before hitting Ireland Sunday early morning).

The trend on the Thursday night wave has been steadily downgrading to a windshift in an ongoing moderately strong SSW to SW flow. This does no harm to the Saturday storm's prospects.

All in all, I would say too soon to pull the trigger but we're on a watch basis now, an advance alert would be required if two or three of four major models showed strong winds from a similar evolution. That may come about by 00z but I suspect a cycle of downgrade-upgrade ahead, this is often the lead in to a real storm for some reason (downgrade at maybe 96h then restoration to previous status at 72 or 60h).

I survived a night of strong winds and so did most of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its great fun looking at all the potent storms gfs forecast. If even a fraction of them occurred Ireland would be in ruins. But this storm me feels is going to take a more Southerly track and will be a near miss but lots more rain.

So I wonder will there be a 3rd time unlucky storm for the 29th/30th

18Z is a downgrade and Saturday looks nothing like it did on the 12Z run. Its to be expected for each run to chop and change this far out. Still need to keep an eye on the models though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I think Met Eireann have more of a responsibility to get it right so they have to play the percentage game and not cause unnecessary panic or hope as in the case of those looking for extremes. They have scored better in their forecasting of the last few potential storms that headed our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Brute75

Piers Corbyn predicted this weather event months ago, www weatheraction.com, read his warnings, he seems to nail on the head fairly reguarly. The met office hasent even forecasted the event yet. The sun controls our climate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Met Eireann not playing with GFS's earlier 'ball'. Very windy is the most they use,which means force 8-9 at sea and gale force gusts overland. It will be very wet though and that may be the news maker rather than the wind,given the amount of rain we've had....

Things can still change though, and probably will.

Advertisement