Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

mike65 wrote: »
    All he was doing was answering a question put to him, not issuing fresh weather warnings.

Did you hear the weather forecast on RTE at Ipm where the Met Office said that winds tonight and tomorrow would be Storm force 10 to violent storm force 11 on West and North Coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

FW on Sky has just shown projected peak winds funnelling into Galway Bay. Could this coincide with high tide at 8am tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Looking at uk lightning detector seems to be quite a few strikes heading up from the south now just heard thunder in Galway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There is a new Weather Warning now :

Issued at 21 November 2009 - 11:35

Weather Warning

It will become very windy or even stormy later Saturday night or Sunday. Very strong South to Southwest winds veering West, will gust to 100 to 120 Km/hr in some exposed areas, especially in the west and northwest. Heavy showers will occur widely also, with rainfall totals of 15 to 25mm in places, mainly over the western half of the country. In addtion, very high seas are expected along Atlantic coasts.

Awareness Level Orange for the entire country on Meteoalarm for Sunday.

Part of Ireland is also under a Level 1 warning on Estofex now too.

Huge thunder here & hail. Feels rather tornadic ! Thunder was on the trailing edge. Now clearing.

• Advertisement

You can see the storm out in the Atlantic churning there before it heads our way tonight/tomorrow : http://www.sat24.com/eu

Discodog wrote: »
    Huge thunder here & hail. Feels rather tornadic ! Thunder was on the trailing edge. Now clearing.

You can see that on the radar. : http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

I work outdoors so live by that radar - have it on my mobi !. Never walk the dogs without checking it first especially at night - hard to spot showers on moonless nights.

UKMO Shipping Forecast...

Shannon
    Gale warnings - Issued: 0959 Sat 21 Nov

Southerly storm force 10 veering southwesterly imminent and increasing violent storm force 11 soon
    Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1130 Sat 21 Nov

Wind
    Southerly veering southwesterly gale 8 to storm 10, occasionally violent storm 11 in northwest.
    Sea State
    Very rough becoming high or very high, occasionally phenomenal later.
    Weather
    Rain or squally showers.
    Visibility
    Moderate or poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I work outdoors so live by that radar - have it on my mobi !. Never walk the dogs without checking it first especially at night - hard to spot showers on moonless nights.

according to met eireann it looks like the west and north will get the worst of the winds tomorrow. is that right? sky news in their forecast mentioned cork and kery specifically. has the system moved further north from previous forecasts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Its just after getting biblical here in Galway City!!

according to met eireann it looks like the west and north will get the worst of the winds tomorrow. is that right? sky news in their forecast mentioned cork and kery specifically. has the system moved further north from previous forecasts?

The last few model runs showed a jog to the south and a couple of jogs to the north. It's hard to predict the exact paths of these type of lows cause you don't know exactly how much it will deepen or how quickly. At the moment it looks like it will pass just off the northwest coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Very bad in galway. Just after some lightning

I thought that I knew most meteorological terms but what is the definition of "occasionally phenomenal"

I thought that I knew most meteorological terms but what is the definition of "occasionally phenomenal"

The highest description for wave heights. Over 14m. Thats 45+ foot waves...

Thank you. My concern is that the with blue skies & sun between the showers, many people will be lulled into going out tonight. That combined with normal Saturday night - I would not want to an emergency worker on shift.

Just going to get a few essential for the power cut that is all but inevitable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One clap of Thunder here in Galway was one of the loudest and longest that I ever heard, hailstones and the wind gusted to 60 mph during that shower.Looking at that Sat pic in an earlier post there is a lot of big showers to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes that thunderstorm in galway was very bad and it was only the first shower + the showers haven't even got really going yet:eek:

Could any of you please post the most accurate time prediction for peak winds in Galway Bay when you know them - Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

We had a busy enough thunderstorm pass over Tralee earlier on, after a good 2 hrs of sunshine this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford must be in the eye or something cos its quiet and sunny still here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone have a link to any good lightning strike monitor for the west coast?

I am West of Galway & by the sea with a view over to Aran & Doolin so I have a ringside seat. The wind has picked up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Massive downpour just now. Really heavy,

OK guys so what is the best site for hour by hour positioning of the low & isobars. I want to know when peak wind will hit Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

wind is starting to pick up here now in Glenbeigh Co.Kerry, quite a few ominous looking clouds coming up from the south

Looks like the track is a little further north again on the 12Z GFS run. There doesn't seem to be a major change in intensity from the last run. Thankfully looks a lot less severe than it did a couple of days ago.

OK guys so what is the best site for hour by hour positioning of the low & isobars. I want to know when peak wind will hit Galway.

You can watch the IR sat loop of the low here - http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

Based on the most recent GFS run, peak winds will hit Galway between 8am and 2pm Sunday.

• Advertisement

Interestingly both YR.no & Metcheck are not showing excessive winds for Galway all weekend.

Advertisement