Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

fax24s.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone looked at the GSF for next early Wednesday? Poor sods in northern Scotland look like getting 955 hPa full in the face.

mike65 wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at the GSF for next early Wednesday? Poor sods in northern Scotland look like getting 955 hPa full in the face.

Yep, looking nasty Tue/Wed but still a while away so could all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Discodog wrote: »
    Interestingly both YR.no & Metcheck are not showing excessive winds for Galway all weekend.

Metcheck forecasts for galway are useless i think there could be a hurricane outside yet met check show barely a breeze on their forecast:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I do not rely on either but to have neither of them showing a gale is odd giving the Met warnings. I tend to find YR better than Metcheck & Sky as much better than ME for Irish forecasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

And unfortunatly, that same low is going to throw some fairly heavy rain into Ireland during tuesday. Its that 997mb low out to the south-west on the METO chart maquiladora posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Got a direct hit with a thunder and lightning storm here a couple of hours ago too. 4.2mm fell in the shower alone. Daily total so far standing at 17.8mm. Another wet day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I'm selling the house for whatever I can get and going south (more south than west cork). :(

I think I'm selling the house for whatever I can get and going south (more south than west cork). :(

There's a lot of sea south of west cork !. The Azores !

Why move south when you can move west? Move to Galway, you'll be ok! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

galway bay at 16.15 today, burren on the left.
    more rain!
    753FC585A45B4DBE8B08D4993080FAF1-800.jpg

C362F4D4B2D346588DE30C1CB4165F0D-800.jpg

will try and and get pics of the main event tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Am living in the East Meath area, pouring with rain right now and only gusty winds. What can I expect for tonight, is it very windy in the Galway area? Going giging tonight wonder what the driving conditions will be like later

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

working all throught the night tonight,wont see much of the action:( hopefully the wind will knock the elecrticity out and i,ll have a short night:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

superforecast_uk_ireland36.png

The low centre can be clearly spotted here to the north west dragging in the storm force winds for noon tomorrow

Met Eireann Warning issued at 1600hrs:

Gale Warning

Southwest gales or strong gales on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea. Winds will reach storm force on coasts from Valentia to Erris Head to Belfast Lough.
    Issued at 16:00 on 21-Nov-2009

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

A rough 24hrs ahead.

AA roadwatch situation

*GALWAY* • Drivers on the Dublin/Galway Rd can use the N6 from Dublin to Balinasloe and then temporarily use, the unfinished, M6 to bypass Balinasloe and Craughwell. Single lane traffic is in place, a strict speed limit of 50kpm applies. Delays of up to 45min delays eastbound along the route.

IMPORTANT: Motorists wishing to get onto the M6 for Craughwell can only get on AT Galway Clinic, Doughiska and can only get off at Loughrea. Those who try to get onto the M6 at Craughwell will be turned back.

• N17 Galway/Tuam Rd is flooded at Two Mile Ditch and Claregalway. Divert via N84/Headford Rd. • N18 Ennis/Galway Rd is flooded with diversions at Crowe St, Gort and at Laban. Allow an extra hour for journeys. Further along, reports of flooding at Kilcolgan. • Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is flooded from Carnmore Cross to Cashla; diversions via Athenry (not Claregalway).

• Ferry Bridge on the N65 in Portumna is almost impassable and in Tipperary the N65 is impassable at Carrigahourig. Divert via Birr.

*CORK CITY* • Western Rd and Victoria Cross have reopened to traffic. However, Carrigrohane Straight and Lee Rd remain closed. Also Sunday's Well Rd is now closed in both directions from Thomas Davis Bridge through to Shanakiel Rd.

*WEST CORK* • The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd has reopened at Innishannon.

*LEITRIM* On the N4, extremley heavy traffic approaching Carrick-On-Shannon from the Sligo side. A flood at the Landmark Hotel is passable. Gardai are urging motorists to obey diversions signs in place. Elsewhere in Carrick-On-Shannon the following roads are closed: • The N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd at Tesco,Park Lane & Quay St and the Leitrim Rd (R280).Leitrim Village remains impassable.

*WATERFORD CITY* • The Tramore Rd remains closed, the Superquinn R/A is accessible from the Waterford side.

*MAYO* On the N5 Castlebar/Swinford traffic lights are in operation at Bellavary due to flooding under the bridge.

*CAVAN* • The N3 Butlers Bridge/Belturbert Rd is closed. Divert via the N54 to Gannons Cross and onto the Belturbet Rd (R197). • Bad flooding on the Ballybay/Cootehill Rd (R190). Motorists are advised to travel via Rockcorry instead. • The Milltown/Killeshandra Rd (R201) remains flooded.

*ROSCOMMON* • The N63 Roscommon/Galway Rs is closed at Athleague. • The N60 Castlerea/Ballymoe Rd is closed at Ballymoe. • Ballyforan Village is impassable. • A number of minor roads are also affected.

*TIPPERARY* • In Clonmel, Convent Bridge, Davis Rd Coleville Rd and the Quays remain closed until tomorrow morning (22nd) at the earliest. • Old Bridge, The Gashouse Bridge and Raheen Rd have all reopened. • There is a lot of surface water on the N24 Clonmel/Carrick-On-Suir Rd.

*CLARE* • In Ennis town, the Gort Rd remains closed to traffic and access to Abbey St is via Francis St only.

*LONGFORD* • The N5 Longford/Strokestown Rd is still closed at Tarmonbarry and Longford town; divert via Newtownforbes. • The N63 Longford/Lanesborough Rd is closed at the railway bridge in Longford. Diversions are in place.

*CARLOW* • Kennedy St, Castle Hill, Centaur St & Marlborough St remain closed. • Local access only is being maintained at Leighlinbridge.

*KERRY* • The N71 Killarney/Kenmare Rd is now passable at Molls Gap but with extreme care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 hiwayman

*CAVAN* • The N3 Butlers Bridge/Belturbert Rd is closed. Divert via the N54 to Gannons Cross and onto the Belturbet Rd (R197).

I drove through this today, all 2" of it!

Wind is beginning to pick up here now. Has that high, moaning sound to it through the telegraph wires outside. In half a mind to drive to the Sky road in Clifton to feel the real impact later but with the floods around the place that might be a bad idea :o

Wind is beginning to pick up here now. Has that high, moaning sound to it through the telegraph wires outside. In half a mind to drive to the Sky road in Clifton to feel the real impact later but with the floods around the place that might be a bad idea :o

Oh i'd already be there if i lived nearer.

roar at it coming in,calling it a wimp,trying to make it mad:D

How will high winds effect areas that are already flooded?

• Advertisement

From Met.ie
    Very windy tonight, and turning even stormy later tonight and early tomorrow with severe gusts of (100 - 120 km/h) in places, especially in the west and northwest. Showers will be widespread - and frequent over western counties giving heavy or thundery downpours in places with hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Thinking of going for a drive to Dingle tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

100 kmph gust recorded at Sherkin Island in last hour

100 kmph gust recorded at Sherkin Island in last hour

Already? Thats interesting considering strongest winds aren't due to arrive until early Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

From Met.ie

just looking at met eireann forecast after 6pm news looks like they are worried about the possibilty of rain in the south tomorrow night. how realistic is that or is it remote?

just looking at met eireann forecast after 6pm news looks like they are worried about the possibilty of rain in the south tomorrow night. how realistic is that or is it remote?

The 12Z GFS doesn't show too much rain for the south on Sunday, the west looks like it will get more rain, but thats just based on one model, I'm sure Met Eireann would be basing their forecast with better local knowledge and a variety of forecast models. Tuesday looks like it could be another very wet day too...

Well I am about to walk the dog (complete with lights on their collars) along the shore. If you don't see anymore posts then call the Coastguard !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

im here near louisburgh co. mayo, a mile from the sea, getting extremely windy now, with strong gusts, and lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The 12Z GFS doesn't show too much rain for the south on Sunday, the west looks like it will get more rain, but thats just based on one model, I'm sure Met Eireann would be basing their forecast with better local knowledge and a variety of forecast models. Tuesday looks like it could be another very wet day too...

well i think they meant sunday night/monday morning but i suppose they'll know more tomorrow. will tuesday be a bad storm as well or too early to say?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seems to be lots of lightning strikes around Dublin area at the moment.

Advertisement