Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

Options

Comments

Discodog wrote: »
    Well I am about to walk the dog (complete with lights on their collars) along the shore. If you don't see anymore posts then call the Coastguard !

Dunno but in the dark in this that seems like such a bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Very bad winds and weather down herein Westport, we're right on the sea, Lightening, Hail and high winds just made landfall there in past hour..

I think I may have to consider making an Arc.. well a lightening protected one at least

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dunno but in the dark in this that seems like such a bad idea!

Waiting for a shower to pass. I do it every night & have done for 7 years so I know the path pretty well. It's close to high tide but the tides arn't too high this week.

I am waiting for Jupiter to appear then the shower should of passed - hard to tell at night !

Waiting for a shower to pass. I do it every night & have done for 7 years so I know the path pretty well. It's close to high tide but the tides arn't too high this week.

I'll keep an eye out for ya on me Arc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 2009/009

A TORRO SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH (AREA A) has been issued at 14:30GMT on Saturday 21st November 2009

Valid from/until: 14:30 - 15:00GMT on Saturday 21st/Monday 23rd November 2009 for the following regions

Parts of (see map)

Eire

N Ireland

THREATS

Wind gusts to 70mph; hail 10-15mm diameter; CG lightning; isolated tornadoes

DISCUSSION

Unstable, strongly sheared environment will be in place across the area for the next couple of days (hence the unusually long validity period. This will bring showers and thunderstorms from time to time, with a risk of severe wind gusts. This is especially true on Sunday as a deep low pressure system moves through, although there are some question marks over how much of the activity will be convective as this moves through. In addition, hail and CG lightning are likely. A small risk of tornadoes exists although the main risk will be strong winds.

myimg.gif

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Just been out in the back garden securing washing line, trampoline etc. Blowing a gale already and regular flashes of lightining in the western sky towards Innishannon and Bandon. No sounds of thunder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Seems to be lots of lightning strikes around Dublin area at the moment.

Just phoned a friend in Dublin no rain a clear sky, it must be a fault in the lightning detector I saw that happen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

think met eireann have under estimated this,

for all those that watched this thread, earlier on pages 2,3 and 4, its amazing how the storm has wound up as predicted even thou later models downplayed it,

these high winds with the floods will really mess thinkgs up, headford road going into galway is bound to close, all north galway roads closed, expect schools, place of work to close for mon / tue

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Check out the last couple of frames of the loop, low visibly intensifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Wind gust of 102 Kmph recorded at Mace Head in last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

It's really starting to blow here in north Co. Galway, a bit earlier than expected? No clouds though, the stars are out.

I had been planning to bring the kids down to the science fair in Leisureland tomorrow in Salthill, not sure if this is a good idea any more. Any budding meteorologists or oceanographers may just get swept away by high seas coming in over the prom :eek:.

If the Headford road is closed into Galway (quite possible as the flood waters are carried west into Lough Corrib) then getting into Galway from the north will be impossible anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Have been watching this one as a spectator.

Amazing how this storm has been intensified much more than previously thought, with it expected to reach 955mb before it crashes into the northwest.

As a result of this intensification it has veered slightly north of the previous course.

Watch this one over the coming hours, could prove to be a tricky little monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

The most intense thunderstorm i have seen in years! the rain was torrential and there were afew huge flashes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just phoned a friend in Dublin no rain a clear sky, it must be a fault in the lightning detector I saw that happen before.

Was up near ticknock, very stormy, a few lightening strikes and a bit of rain thrown in!

OK latest report from the roving or should that be Rover reporter. Wind sounds & feel much louder in the house than when out in it. Background wind by the sea at times just feels like 20 knots but the gusts, when they come, feel like 60 knots.

Also strange to see lightening flashes against a starry sky. It also feels quite warm but overall no worse that I have experienced here many time before. Biggest hazards are the big dollops of foam from the sea hitting your face !.

Big ship heading into Galway bay for shelter. Must be Mottedai's Ark !

EDIT: wind definitely strengthening - seems to links to showers like squalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

lightening over Bray Head for the last hour on & off. Does anyone have an updated chart I can have a nosey at please

Storm looks quite ominous to the northwest

It all depends how quickly it fills and how fast it pushes east.

Going to be particularly hairy along the western seaboard, expect to see gusts to 80mph recorded.

stormpic930.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Severe lightening to the north of cork city, flashes every 30secs or so
    It'll be a wild night
    As I said on Friday thundery showers can cause much more flooding than regular rain.

Big ship heading into Galway bay for shelter. Must be Mottedai's Ark !

Arc still not afloat Disco, but its looking ominious here now, Bellmullet hitting gusts at 51 knots according to Met.ie, thats just up the road. Was out there myself tieing down anything that might like to become airbourne,

Keep eye on Horizon for me thugh if things get very bad, Arc to be launched at a moments notice and only those in the 'know' alowed on board, oh and no TDs or french soccor players..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wind not really picking up at all in Tuam yet :(. Highest gust so far 37mph although sustained wind speeds are rising a little. Still, nothing out of the ordinary yet.

• Advertisement

Good time to try out this brilliant site. Just hover your mouse or click a number
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Highest gust recorded last hour - 107.4 kmph at Belmullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing to speak of here (quite dissapoining really)

107kmph gust at Belmullet at 9pm.

Mike, the storm isn't due to peak until tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&soort=loop24uur&URL

are we going to escape it in the east ??

18Z GFS is rolling out...track looks slightly further south on this run...

Question for the experts on here...Met Eireann have said gusts could reach "120 Km/hr in some exposed areas" but with about 14 hours to go before the storm peaks we already have a gust of 107 Km/hr - could that be a sign that this system could be stronger than expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

All quiet here, always seem to miss the worse :o

Worst winds will hit the west tomorrow from around 10am.

The storm is a good way away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

hellboy99 wrote: »
    All quiet here, always seem to miss the worse :o

Same here. Was wild earlier with thunderstorm and gust. now all is quite. i suspect it is just a lull before the main event!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Worst winds will hit the west tomorrow from around 10am.

The storm is a good way away yet.

scary gusts though ...Sligo airport reports mean windspeed of 30 km/h, yet gusts of 98 km/h here ...and they seem to come out of nowhere

Advertisement