Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Same here, not as windy as this time yesterday but still a few strong gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Usually the lightning frequency on land peaks in the mid-day and afternoon periods. Patience required, the storm is just starting to move in now.

Not necessarily at this time of year though. Really from November to about February thunder and lightning can occur at anytime of day or night as its main feed is a warmer sea relative to the airmass blowing over it. Convective conditions over land tend to be at a minimum which is usually more conducive to daytime storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

114.8kmph gust at Ballyhaise.

Ballyhaise? Would have thought that was not accurate.

Winds here have been slowly increasing this morning. Now in the high 50's mph. Very squally showers with some blue sky peeping through now and again. It seems to be only getting going now.

• Advertisement

New weather warning this morning....
    Weather Warning

Issued at 22 November 2009 - 09:16

Southwest to west winds will reach mean speeds of between 50 and 70 km/h in many parts of the country today, with frequent gusts between 90 and 120 km/h.
    Widespread showers, some thundery, will produce rainfall totals of 15 to 30 mm widely.

Valid from 09:00 to 19:00 Sunday 22nd November 2009

133.3kmph gust recorded at Bellmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town - Grey dark and wet... nothing out of the ordinary and not particularly windy... was expecting a lot worse.. maybe its hasn't arrived yet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The strong gusts seem to be very localised. Looking at the reports from the West Coast it's windy & gusting to 100 kph but no higher. Yet in some areas close by it's not exceeding 50kph.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Overcast, dry, mild breeze here south of Gorey, Co Wexford and we're somewhat exposed to the wind.

It was much worse this time yesterday. I was expecting wind and rain this morning.

Where's the beef?

Still to arrive?

:confused:

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

i have awoken to an average windy day in mayo, nothing spectacular or note worthy, wheres the storm?

(going back to bed,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

i have awoken to an average windy day in mayo, nothing spectacular or note worthy, wheres the storm?

(going back to bed,:)

Belmullet, apparently. 72 knots gust recorded this morning. 80mph+....

Still nothing much here, strong breeze, occasional gusty showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

83mph gust at Belmullet - http://xcweather.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite enough right now. Last night the weather was like a light switch - fairly quiet then bang! driving wind/rain, 10 mins later it switched off and all quiet again.

Met Eireann's forecast charts shows story for the next couple of hours:

Wind.jpg

Image Source: http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

A couple of gusty showers here since but nothing that's worth the bother getting up and looking out the window at so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It was quite stormy in Galway city from bout 5am onwards and still is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just recorded a wind gust of 70 mph in the last few minutes during a shower, think it may be getting more stormy as the storm passes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I dunno what happened tbh but it wasn't much of a storm in the end.
    The beeb got it spot on yet again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

It would certainly qualify as stormy along the west and north coasts no doubt, but nothing much in the midlands anyway,never got going at all,and unlikeley to do so now I suspect. Next up - Wednesdays event,looks very similar to the one just gone, so make of that what you will....

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

this was such a NON EVENT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Epic Fail of a storm. I did say the weekend would be a non event last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Yes, Im very dissapointed, just high winds. is there anyone we can talk to about this? After all the tieing down last night...

For North Galway, Yr.no are actually showing winds to be stronger this coming Tuesday that at any stage today:

meteogram.png

with the chance of renewed gales once again coast side:

meteogram.png

Graph source: http://www.yr.no/

Some persistent rain forecast on tuesday as well which won't help the flooding issues at the moment.

Still nothing noteworthy here in Tuam regarding winds, but they are increasing a little to the point of being uncomfortable, but still nice an comfy inside!

Deep Easterly, I just opened a new thread for Tuesday/Wednesday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MotteDai wrote: »
    Yes, Im very dissapointed, just high winds. is there anyone we can talk to about this? After all the tieing down last night...

It isn't quite over yet, winds are still on the increase
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations (click on animation)

Deep Easterly, I just opened a new thread for Tuesday/Wednesday. :)

Didn't spot Maquiladora, but nice one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Epic Fail of a storm. I did say the weekend would be a non event last week.

The winds are only starting to really pick up now where I am . . . im still being cautious for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

122 km/h at Malin head, 93 at Donegal airport and 98 at Belmullet ...still a bit of a blow going on there

Here in Sligo, now as the sun starts peeking through, the wind is picking up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Not a drop of rain here all day yesterday or didn't seem to rain during the night. Ground still bone dry. And the trees aren't blowing that much out my backyard. They usually move much more on a normal breezy day.

Advertisement