Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

1101112131416»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

she's pickin up out there now. wooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very poorly presented forecast by the eagle today imo
    In his weather for the week, he didn't once mention temps falling back after Wed & didn't mention any rain threat tonight which there is for Southern areas.
    Basically he said remaining unsettled but not anyway like last week.
    Now looking at the ppn charts next week looks every bit as wet to me & there is certainly potential for more flooding
    Also with 528 dam air over us by Thursday the definite risk of wintry showers.
    We shall see who's right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mean minute wind speeds are increasing here a little. Now anywhere between 22mph and 27mph, but gusts are still struggling to make it over 50mph yet with the highest being 48mph in the last 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

extremely squally showers now here in mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

In his weather for the week, he didn't once mention temps falling back after Wed & didn't mention any rain threat tonight which there is for Southern areas.
    Now looking at the ppn charts next week looks every bit as wet to me & there is certainly potential for more flooding
    We shall see who's right

Seemed caught up in the excitment of the total rainfall amounts at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

extremely squally showers now here in mayo

It must have heard you writing it off as a non event an hour ago :p

We shall see who's right

I thought he gave a good run down on last week's weather with some good explanations as to why so much rain fell over the last few days.

He did say that specifics towards the 2nd half of the week were uncertain so he was rightfully being cautious and spoke more of trends than pinpoint details. :)

New Esotofex Level 1 alert over Ireland, Sun 22 Nov 2009 06:00 to Mon 23 Nov 2009 06:00 UTC.....

...Ireland, N England, Scotland...

Another area with low-end instability is located in the wake of the bent-back occlusion west of Ireland. Multicell storms may organise into narrow lines with bowing segments that will cross parts of Ireland / northern UK on Sunday morning / afternoon. Tornadoes appear less likely than in the other area of discussion as deep layer shear reaches only values of 10 - 15 m/s which is probably not sufficient for deep mesocyclones but an isolated tornado cannot be ruled out as strong ( >15 m/s ) LLS and about 300 m²/s² SRH1 are forecast. The main threat in this region will be damaging (33 m/s) gusts that are convectively enhanced. Most of the wind should be due to the intense gradient flow with 35 - 40 m/s forecast at 850 hPa. As the surface low occludes, the severe wind gust threat will decrease to the northeast.

http://www.estofex.org/

One of those multicell narrow lines running through North Munster at the moment:

Web_radar-4.gif

Looks quite nasty in fact. No sferics showing up yet but that does not mean they are not occurring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

That shower train is reaching into Southern Leinster producing fairly intense hail and gusty winds in my location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Just gotten wild & wet on the East Coast - very strange looking sky coming towards us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

It hasn't been a non event here. Ok not the worst we have had but winds to date have reached 109km and it is still blowing strong with regular gusts over 100km.

Just been out for a quick drive along the coast and given that this is low tide (high tide is not until around 9.00pm tonight) the seas are huge in places. So there could be potential for some further flooding along coastal towns and roads.

Happened to be driving when that rain belt came in and had to stop the car as I couldn't see the road ahead.

15.08 Met Eireann had expressed concern over high tides forecast for this evening as well as further heavy rainfall on Monday and on Tuesday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1122/floods.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Things are getting interesting here in Dublin 15. Strong winds and the rain is coming in sideways plus I can hear more than one car alarm going off now. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How much more rain is expected tonight?

There are serious concerns for the ESB Dam in Ardnacrusha Co. Clare, large areas of Limerick & Clare (along with University of Limerick) are under alert as the ESB might need to release even more water soon to prevent dam failure.

Flood alert in Clonlara, Castleconnell and Montpelier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Newspaper headlines today that the ESB didn't warn the Council before releasing the last lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

15.08 Met Eireann had expressed concern over high tides forecast for this evening as well as further heavy rainfall on Monday and on Tuesday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1122/floods.html

whats the risk of heavy rain in the south? can't see mention of it anywhere except on rte site - how far north will it come over munster/leinster or is it too early to say?

A high seas warning has been added this evening....

High Seas Warning
    Westerly seas of 10 to 12 metres height will affect SW,W and NW coasts
    Valid until 1800 hrs on Nov 23rd 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I've just heard the bridge in claregalway has just collapsed not 100% sure if true

whats the risk of heavy rain in the south? can't see mention of it anywhere except on rte site - how far north will it come over munster/leinster or is it too early to say?

As far as I know looks like mostly Cork/Kerry, rain setting in after midnight, strongest rain expected in the far southwest, wont be as intense as Thursday and is forecast to ease off by around midday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wednesday Morning now looks a tad windy.

And this will be a deepening low.

Funny thing at the moment is the worst of the winds are here in Dublin now!

Rtavn601.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

met eireann in their forecast after the news didn't see too much trouble/disturbance in the weather for the week ahead. just about normal november weather. the winds are stronger down here in cork than they have been all day.

Lads Ive updated the new thread about the next storm, its looking more interesting tonight I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I've just heard the bridge in claregalway has just collapsed not 100% sure if true

The bridge in Claregalway is still intact...thankfully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Latest weather radar looks fairly nasty in the south west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 hiwayman

hiwayman wrote: »
    *CAVAN* • The N3 Butlers Bridge/Belturbert Rd is closed. Divert via the N54 to Gannons Cross and onto the Belturbet Rd (R197).

I drove through this today, all 2" of it!
    Went that way again today. different story. when I reached 12" deep I chickened out not worth the risk. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Ah sure, we'll probably get a huge spate of sunshine after all this rain.
    It's only fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Yep, because life is just that fair. :D

The wind this morning was CRAZY, I can see a few accidents, hopefully no pedestrians stray off the path as has happened in year's gone by...

Advertisement