Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storms Thursday and This Weekend -19 & 21/22 November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jeez this is where its coming from really bad here now.

Web_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

10.7mm since the rain started here around 6.30pm with puddles and minor floodings galore. No thunder though :mad: :pac:

10.7mm since the rain started here around 6.30pm with puddles and minor floodings galore. No thunder though :mad: :pac:

Hi Deep Easterly just had some of that blue lightning we were on about yesteday only this time some very loud thunder as well. lots of flooding in the City

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi Deep Easterly just had some of that blue lightning we were on about yeasteday only this time some very loud thunder as well. lots of flooding in the City

I heard S10. My uncle in Ballybrit confirms very loud thunder and lightning. Just getting the rain here and getting heavier and heavier all the while. A wet night across city and county tonight! :cool:

Edit: torrential rain here now!!!

This site shows up where lightning has struck over the last couple of hours:
    http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

that line of heavy showers is moving very slowly! yer must be getting hammered there lads! Some heavier rain now in kerry but nothing noteworthy yet

Lots of flooding here in Galway the rain is unreal its non stop since around 6pm with hail during the thunder. Got a friend in Barna who told me a house near him was struck by lightning, dont want that. The wind is getting up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

not a drop yet here in calowyet.just as well cause the barrow overflowed a couple of nights ago and its still on the verge of doin it again.looks like we wont be gettin too much of it goin by the rainfall radar

Just went for a quick drive around town and flooding is becoming a serious issue. Some roads now submerged. 21mm has fallen since this band of rain started which coupled with the heavy showers earlier now brings my daily total up to 25.1mm so far. Not even the faintest breeze out there so dosen't feel cold at all even though temp is a cool 6.2c currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Took a look at the 18z GFS -- I'm scared and I don't even live there.

:eek::eek::eek:

Let's hope that this is the latest in a series of GFS nightmare storms that somehow turn into more ordinary events, but we are knocking on the door of the reliable time frame now.

This model run shows a 948 mb low just west of Tralee at mid-day with an intense gradient over most of Ireland especially the south coast which would surely be looking at hurricane force wind gusts from this outcome, I would say sustained 60 mph gusts to 100 mph from a storm that intense.

Actually, given where Ireland is located, I'm surprised you don't get more storms that intense in climatology, because I am hard pressed to think of one on this track quite as intense. Sure, those kinds of winds hit Belmullet and Malin Head from a more northward track fairly frequently, but those places are built to withstand such winds and the population density is very low in parts of Ireland that routinely see such wind speeds (for good reason).

You tell me if Cork or Waterford has ever seen winds that strong, it has been many years at least. I just have the feeling this will have to change before event time one way or another, seems too intense to be real.

• Advertisement

Web_radar.gif

wow!!! galway has been stuck in that heavy patch of rain for the last few hours,its hardly moved. must be gettin really bad over there

Took a look at the 18z GFS -- I'm scared and I don't even live there.

:eek::eek::eek:

Sure, those kinds of winds hit Belmullet and Malin Head from a more northward track fairly frequently, but those places are built to withstand such winds and the population density is very low in parts of Ireland that routinely see such wind speeds (for good reason).

Population is low in those parts not because of the weather M.T. Socio-economics and an "to hell or to Connacht" mentality by the current establishment (an establishment that is a direct descendant of the British establishment). But that is for another thread I suppose! :pac:

m.t. you talk about 18z gfs ? can anyone look up this info and if so where........kinda new sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Connaught is low population cos nothing grows there!

Starting to piss down, the southerly wind is gusty but nothing exceptional.

The Quays in Clonmel are closed yet again, they spent millions on a supposed "fix".

3 people have died in a crash in Galway:( please take care out there!!! The conditions sound atrocious! I saw the 18z aswell M.T. If it presists till tomorrow id be getting worried and on thursday..... well id expect severe weather warnings on met.ie and the plywood and hammers being taken out the shed....

mike65 wrote: »
    Connaught is low population cos nothing grows there!

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I reckon the storm will pass south and splatter the English Channel instead just like last weekend . My bones are telling me so and feck model runs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

How's it looking for Friday, SouthEast, 8am to 5pm??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS....oh my god....

If that actually came to pass....that would be one of the worst storms here in years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I prefer snow to storms, storms just kill people, snow less likely to.

Also I have farm buildings and even though they are insured they are very exposed to the west wind....

I hope it turns out to be nothing major.

• Advertisement

This was posted on the UK weather forum TheWeatherOutlook tonight:

"GFS 18Z has been released and we can begin to see the very intense - almost armegeddon storm ride the ridge axis in a slightly different way - the 18Z is probably the closest in terms of tracking that I've seen to date. The intensity is off the scale - if this comes off - I'd advise anyone in Ireland to evacuate or if not possible batten down the hatches, board up the windows and under no curcumstances travel. We know we're dealing with a potentially serious storm here and we're just beginning to get a handle on what areas are most likely to be affected and worst affected. Ireland number 1 at the moment - perhaps SW England, Wales - all of W/NW Wales and Scotland."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Timistry wrote: »
    3 people have died in a crash in Galway:( please take care out there!!! The conditions sound atrocious! I saw the 18z aswell M.T. If it presists till tomorrow id be getting worried and on thursday..... well id expect severe weather warnings on met.ie and the plywood and hammers being taken out the shed....

4 women killed in the crash now, very bad road conditions as you say.

Lord have mercy on them, just terrible.

67v0j8.png

If Im not wrong, isnt that touching on sustained Cat 1 hurricane winds? Gusts would be even higher....

Man, I hope we dont see this on the next run.

If Im not wrong, isnt that touching on sustained Cat 1 hurricane winds? Gusts would be even higher....

Man, I hope we dont see this on the next run.

Those winds are Northeasterly right?

Other way round, southwesterly.

If this comes off and it hits galway with these winds and very high tides at the moment you are looking at serious flooding from the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

there is some serious gusts here at the moment

Thought that from another model but the one above confused me:rolleyes:. Im from Kenmare so we have the Caha mts and McGillacuddy Reeks on both sides of the bay. The bay funnes SW winds towards us. While we are protected from the open ocean, this effect can create big waves. Xmas storm 97 was my only big storm. But this would be:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Other way round, southwesterly.

The first time I saw charts featuring "wind barbs" (the F shaped symbols) I naturally assumed the opposite wind direction too.

Here's a link with a quick and easy explaination of how to read maps with wind barbs.....

http://weather.about.com/od/forecastingtechniques/ss/mapsymbols_8.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Watching this one with intense interest.

Part of me is hoping that we get the predicted weather but part of me is saying that if even one person suffers even a minor injury then its not worth it. Remember that property can be fixed again but people are a little more tricky to put back together.

If the forecasts do bring about a wind event then I'll seriously need to consider a sheet or two of plywood for a rather large and exposed bay window :eek:

I'll be doing my best to get out with my camera to record any local damage or flooding should it occur.

Advertisement